WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2018, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

Colour Mixing.. In 1958

I saw this colour mixing poster in a local museum yesterday. I thought it was pretty cool..

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  101.2 KB
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2018, 12:07 PM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia
Re: Colour Mixing.. In 1958

It looks 200-300 years more contemporary progressive and innovative, than newest RYB old counterrevolutionary color theories on WC! I can see a magenta color there, violet color and even a green color. We are now in a mobile phone stone age era!

Last edited by Gigalot : 09-16-2018 at 12:17 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2018, 12:45 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Fantastic Richard, thanks for sharing this gem! Gigalot, agreed!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2018, 12:55 AM
WC! Guide
Illinois

Hails from United States

Thanks for sharing this information. Now I know what a "rainy day" color spectrum looks like!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2018, 07:16 AM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigalot
It looks 200-300 years more contemporary progressive and innovative, than newest RYB old counterrevolutionary color theories on WC! I can see a magenta color there, violet color and even a green color. We are now in a mobile phone stone age era!

As the year is 1958, Quinacridones probably had just been invented, so none of them were available yet. My guess is that the magentas are either Carmine (NR 5) or Alizarin Crimson (PR 83). It's probably Alizarin, considering they look a bit muddy (even discounting the yellowing).

Another interesting fact: the colors that correspond to what Permanent Rose (PV 19-gamma) and Quinacridone Magenta (PR 122) would give you are listed as "tertiary". This means that the artist had to play with three colors just to get a muddier version of them, when today you just need to take them out of the tube. This shows how much we have advanced.

Last edited by Mythrill : 09-20-2018 at 07:20 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2018, 06:39 PM
Sydney

Hails from Australia

It's interesting to see both Munsell (10-hue) and traditional (12-hue) hue circles both being used. What I find especially intriguing is to see the design of Itten's famous colour wheel from "The Art of Color" appearing three years before he published it in 1961. I wonder who inspired whom?
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2018, 07:06 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbriggs
It's interesting to see both Munsell (10-hue) and traditional (12-hue) hue circles both being used. What I find especially intriguing is to see the design of Itten's famous colour wheel from "The Art of Color" appearing three years before he published it in 1961. I wonder who inspired whom?

It's also funny to see what they call "orange" is around the hue of Permanent Rose (PV 19-gamma). Did they lack a good orange by then? Or maybe it was available, but expensive?

My guess is that the triad is:

- Alizarin Crimson (PR 83)
- Chrome Yellow (PY 34) or Cadmium Yellow Medium (PY 35)
- Prussian Blue (PB 27)
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2018, 05:25 AM
Veteran Member

Well, here's another question. The poster didn't look from 1958 it looked newish, so if it was a reproduction then would it have been done from a colour photograph of the original poster and then created with modern inks?

If not, then what printer inks were in use in 1958?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2018, 06:27 AM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard P
Well, here's another question. The poster didn't look from 1958 it looked newish, so if it was a reproduction then would it have been done from a colour photograph of the original poster and then created with modern inks?

If not, then what printer inks were in use in 1958?

If you see closely, you'll realize that poster is framed. So that's one reason it looks newish. But it's not so newish, as the page has yellowed a lot.

If it was kept away from sunlight, it also explains how it hasn't faded.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2018, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member

Ah, good spot!

So what inks were available in 1958?
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2018, 10:26 AM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard P
Ah, good spot!

So what inks were available in 1958?

Very few. Definitely not any magentas except for Alizarin Crimson (PR 83) and maybe Lithol Rubine (PR 57). Permanent Rose (PV 19-gamma) had been discovered a while ago, but mass production began after 1958. Phthalo Blues were already available, but I don't think they were used here, because those tints are muted and a bit dull, very similar to what you would get with Prussian Blue (PB 27).

What strikes me as odd is the yellow. As you can see, the chart indicates that that magenta mixed to that yellow makes an ochre-like hue. Alizarin Crimson mixed to Cadmium Yellow (PY 35) or Chrome Yellow (PY 34) is a bit dull, but it doesn't make a dull yellow like in that chart.