WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2019, 01:48 PM

Any art booth vendors that sell original paintings

Iím building up my collection of original acrylic paintings to sell at crafts shows and hopefully in the future sell prints of them as well. When you sell your painting at shows do you ever worry someone will try to reproduce it? I know there isnít really much I can do to control what someone does once itís out of my hands. But does anyone ever include a note that says thank you and all original paintings doesnít transfer copyright? Does that happen a lot. I think that is what is keeping me from selling. Thank you!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2019, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

Re: Any art booth vendors that sell original paintings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcruz84
Iím building up my collection of original acrylic paintings to sell at crafts shows and hopefully in the future sell prints of them as well. When you sell your painting at shows do you ever worry someone will try to reproduce it? I know there isnít really much I can do to control what someone does once itís out of my hands. But does anyone ever include a note that says thank you and all original paintings doesnít transfer copyright? Does that happen a lot. I think that is what is keeping me from selling. Thank you!
You're right - the only sure way to keep people from stealing your work is to not show it to anybody. But if you think selling prints of your originals could be that lucrative then maybe YOU should do that instead. Although with a little effort someone could make prints from your print and go in competition with you in the market place.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2019, 08:54 AM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

I went to an art fair this summer, and a ton of people were selling prints (especially the ones on metal) as well as originals. Thinking of the people who were visiting, I didn't see anyone who I thought was looking around to buy someone's art and reproduce it. I think for most artists, our work is more valuable to us than it is to others.

The times when I have seen people steal artist's work it has generally been some company that produces consumer goods. Remember a while ago a woman accused a design company of stealing her art and using it on their stuff, like towels and cups and Xmas ornaments. I think she had had her stuff up on Etsy. It was quite the big deal. And then it turned out that she herself had stolen many of the designs they in turn stole. At any rate, what I noticed was that the designs were quite simple. Like a polar bear outline with a sort of quilt design imposed on it. Stuff like that would make good units of a larger design set. From what I have read, design companies like things in sets.

Also, I have heard that stealing designs on Etsy is huge, but we are talking like someone who paints glasses stealing someone else's idea for a painting on a glass or something. It is bad but it is not an issue that most of us will have to deal with.

Anyway, the only other people I have seen who steal art are online. And mostly they are using it to decorate their site. Which is annoying but small potatoes compared to a corporation that is reproducing your art on dishes.

I think you can put that you retain copyright in some addition or even just on the receipt or invoice you give with a sale.

As for someone copying your prints and selling them, I don't think so. It is not easy to sell prints, as we all know.

If your medium was photography, I would be more concerned because it does seem like that is stolen more often.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2019, 12:26 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

I hope the buyers appreciate my originals as part of me. I worry sometimes that someone might paint stuff on my originals and claim it as their own. Perhaps you could include the copyright sign on your paintings near your signature.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2019, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMarkie
I hope the buyers appreciate my originals as part of me. I worry sometimes that someone might paint stuff on my originals and claim it as their own. Perhaps you could include the copyright sign on your paintings near your signature.
A copyright symbol is not the same as putting garlic on a vampire.

If you look at signatures on paintings - 99.5% do NOT include a copyright symbol.