Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Cleaning dried oil brushes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    jnicholes

Hello,

So, I made a mistake, (or “happy accident” as Bob Ross puts it,) I failed to clean my brushes properly last time I painted. I pulled them out today, and they have dried oil paint on them. I guess I didn’t clean them good enough. Oh well! I guess this is a learning experience for me.

Is there a way to get the dried paint off these brushes? I can’t paint until I get it off.

Any help will be appreciated,

Jared

Humbaba

There is a good chance you will have to throw them in the trash.

Lay them in turpentine for at least 2-3 hours, then rub them vigorously in paper towels or a rag, repeat if necessary.

If the above method fails, try with acetone, but be careful, only the hair should be soaked in it.

Third method, try with hot water, again only attack the hair, rub in paper towels or a rag.

Freesail

Master’s brush cleaner and preserver has saved a few brushes of mine. I give it a try.

Solvent = Leaner Oil = Fatter Drawing is the basis of art. A bad painter cannot draw. But one who draws well can always paint. (Arshile Gorky)
                kentiessen

I would recommend Masters- cover the bristles in dense soap and keep wet (wrap in plastic film or foil) and let sit a day or so. It will start to soften the paint- carefully flex, scrub, and rinse, and repeat as necessary. If you’re in a hurry, you may use a host of chemicals including auto hand cleaner- but know they will likely shorten the life of the brush.

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
                    Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

Dcam

Many here on WC have had success with an overnight soak in Murphy’s Oil Soap….always works for me.

Anonymous

I have restored many with soaps like those mentioned, and also with an overnight soaking in Weber’s Turpenoid Natural.

Ron Francis

Paint stripper works.

Ron
                                www.RonaldFrancis.com

Gigalot

Paint stripper works.

I think, that Paint stripper, based on DimethylFormamide is best advice. If you can’t get such a powerful paint cleaner, then try to soak your brushes in Acetone or Nitrocellulose Lacquer’s solvent. Works just fine. I always use nitro solvent as an emergency brush cleaner.

ronsu18

mine says potassium hydroxide and sodium metasilicate, do i dare use it on soft synthetic brushes?

C&C welcome

Gigalot

mine says potassium hydroxide and sodium metasilicate, do i dare use it on soft synthetic brushes?

That potassium hydroxide will destroy natural brush after several seconds you put it into such solution. Synthetic brush can resist potassium hydroxide, but that depends of synthetic polymer, used to make brush hair. To wash artists brushes you need solvent, that can dissolve old paint, but can’t harm natural hair. Potassium hydroxide and Sulfuric acid are not a drug of choice.

ronsu18

thank you!

C&C welcome

Anonymous

I have found that paint stripper can cause brushes to swell and distort.

Anonymous

The bad thing about letting brushes dry with oil paint in them is that there is dried hard paint that is way up the bristles, near the base of the tuft, next to the ferrule. This hard caked paint is pretty nigh impossible to get out with anything, and you will wind up with restored brushes that are not exactly like new. Flats will become less flat and brighter, brighter brushes get even brighter too.

Dcam
                                                            JCannon

In my experience, paint stripper can restore a completely lost brush — hardened with old paint — to SOME usability. It may not be what it originally was, but you will probably find a purpose for it. Don’t keep the brush hairs immersed in stripper too long. Stripper will also remove paint from the wooden handle.

On a somewhat lower level of desperation, consider W&N’s brush cleaner, which seems to be stronger than its competitors. I sometimes pour a dollop directly atop Master’s Brush Cleaner for some old-fashioned scrubbing.

Real turpentine is a stronger solvent than OMS, but also more expensive.

A brush may emerge from its cleaning scraggly and poorly-shaped. Mona Lisa’s Brush Shaper “kinda sorta” works to bring back the point; my results have varied. I think it’s the same stiffener used on many new brushes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.