Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Orange on table – request for suggestions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Danmasiz

Hi all

I have recently finished the below still life. I wasn’t going for a lifelike representation, but instead wanted it to have a contemporary feel by focusing on the composition and the strong shapes made by the table and shadow dividing up the canvas. I was also trying to give the blocks of colour a nice texture.

I feel that I achieved what I set out to. Unfortunately, I find the finished painting very boring and am looking for ways to make it more interesting! Does anybody have any suggestions on what I can do to make it less boring?? I was thinking of introducing (rough and inaccurate) charcoal outlines to everything, but I worry that would just overpower everything else.

edit: the painting is not varnished or anything yet – I simply stuck it in a frame hoping that I would like it more!

Thanks

Dan

Anonymous

I would crop it and add some other objects, maybe silverware or if you want to go total cliche, add some orange peelings too.

Dcam
                budigart

Leave it alone. It’s better than you know. If nothing else, turn it to the wall for a couple of weeks . . . maybe longer. I think you will be happily surprised. Not looking at your work, or not being able to look at it for awhile often gives will give you “new eyes.”

Pinguino

All the above suggestions (whether adding or leaving it) are good. As a minimal modification, consider extending the shadow of the orange, so that it extends well beyond the shadow of the plate. Whether or not that is geomatrically correct in terms of lighting, is not the point.

Dcam
                            Raffless

Simple geometric shapes in a square frame are notoriously very difficult to not be boring. Mondrian or Diebenkorn as mentioned went down this path to some success.

I would certainly concentrate on balancing the orange with a smaller intense complimentary blue coloured shape(quite saturated) near the right bottom edge. That would create ‘dynamic’ interest for sure.

budigart

I think you’re opening a can of worms, albeit a small one. If you extend the orange shadow, you’ll have to extend the plate shadow. Again, I vote to leave it. It’s much better than you think at the moment.

From the FWIW department, I have lots of paintings that go back several years. They’re stacked (on edge) away. Every once in awhile, I go through them looking for something and often find one that really looks much better that it did when I finished it and tucked it away.

At least give it a few weeks turned to the wall . . .

123harry

I like it as it is. I don’t think it needs anything else.

C&C always welcome.
                                        Instagram harry.hamill

ronsu18

i like it a lot!
                                            you’ve chosen a graphic representation besides the juicy loose brush, so i suspect that precision is your friend. there’s a wandering quality in your shadows on the table, maybe check if a tiny blob or two could suggest the plate drop shadow more accurately, to unify it with the orange’s drop shadow, see if that works for you?

since it is an abstract, remember to rotate the canvas every which way when evaluating, letting the angles do their work when you slowly drink your coffee or whatever in front of it. it’s possible that a ridiculously small darkening of a line fraction at the edge of the table might do something to help.

C&C welcome

Phranque

If anything, maybe have the shadows of the orange and the plate be slightly smoother. I feel they hint at texture….and maybe have a little reflective orange colour on the plate. I like the painting, it’s pleasing to look at.

Critiques and comments are always welcome.

AnnieA

I agree with those who say this is a very good painting without any changes. There’s a very nice geometry to it and the brushwork is well done.

But, if you do want a foil for the orange and plate, what about a knife placed on the table someplace in a way that complements the existing composition? Again, I’m not certain that if it were my painting I would change anything. The earlier advice to put it away for a while until you can see it with fresh eyes is very wise.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                                                    [FONT=Palatino]
                                                    “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

Danmasiz

Thank you all for your advice.

I will definitely leave it for a while to view it with fresh eyes. When I come back to it I will bear the other suggestions in mind!

Freesail

To me the perspective of the table and its leg is off. Its the first thing that my eye is not drawn to. I crop the picture like it was suggested.

Solvent = Leaner Oil = Fatter Drawing is the basis of art. A bad painter cannot draw. But one who draws well can always paint. (Arshile Gorky)
                                                            billmahler

How boring is:
                                                                “Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?”
                                                                Put it away carefully. You’ll come back some day and love it.

I only regret not drinking more champagne -
                                                                Winston Churchill.
                                                                http://billfitzgerald.blogspot.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.