Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Gallery I’ll Always Have Your Back

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

This is a painting I’ve been working on for quite some time.

Title: “I’ll Always Have Your Back”
    Size: 7 1/4 x 11 (an odd size…not ideal)
    Paper: Strathmore 140lb cold press

[ATTACH]863769[/ATTACH]

I’m really disappointed with how the rain turned out. I added white ink at the end for that, and while I think it works well for the rain droplets, I went way overboard and added too many and in spots they don’t need to be. I wish there was some way to fix that. I need an Undo button! Oh well…live and learn.

I really like the concept, so maybe I’ll try this one again at some point. I’ve learned quite a bit about what went right and what didn’t, so I feel like a second try would turn out much better. But right now, I just need to set it aside and work on something else for a while.

Thanks for looking! C&C welcome (I’m just starting out, so anything that will help me improve is welcome!)

Amy

pjartwc

I think maybe rain is about the hardest thing you could do in watercolor. Probably would have been better to take off color, perhaps with a stencil and magic eraser, instead of adding. Love the concept and your people are great.

C&C WELCOMED

Jan

FrankM

I really like your painting — the concept and figures are fantastic. I don’t even worry about the rain — even if it’s not the result you wanted, the idea is communicated just fine.

Thanks for sharing — this rainy painting brightened my day!

FrankM

ErnstG

Very nice illustration!

Ernst

Meine Seiten - My website
                Malen ist nicht alles im Leben - aber ohne Malen ist alles nichts!
                Painting is not everything in life - but without painting everything is nothing!

Ellen E

I think this is really wonderful and I love the raindrops. I don’t think you did too many at all.

Bill

This is charming and so are the rain drops.
                        Bill

Be kinder than necessary

KiwiKate

Very charming. Since it’s such a stylized work, I think your rain is perfect. Lovely, vibrant colors.

Kate
                            Henderson, Nevada
                            C&C always welcomed!

"Never ruin a good day by thinking about a bad yesterday". -- Anon.

VonSmith

Very pretty. Almost looks embossed.

Thank you all for the kind words! I’m probably being too hard on myself.

Probably would have been better to take off color, perhaps with a stencil and magic eraser, instead of adding.

It’s funny you should say that. My original plan was to scratch off some of the color to give the illusion of rain using a light sandpaper block. Someone here had suggested that, and it worked really well on the test page I did. But when it came time to do it on the real painting, I was afraid of further damaging the paper. I think if I hadn’t overworked it so much, or if I had higher quality paper to begin with (another lesson I have learned for next time!) I might have been able to get away with that. But I had to go with plan B this time around.

Amy

FLNH

Very cute…the stylized rain just fits.

Karl
                                    Florida, New Hampshire
                                    USA

ndyna

Such a fun theme , very nice Amy.

Dhana

"Do or do not. There is no try"- Yoda

hoylander

Very nicely done, Amy, I love the arrangement and colours, and I think the raindrops really suit the painting!

Joan :wave:
                                          Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.