Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Talk Question about Fixative

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Hello to you all,

Since quite some time all regular fixatives bother me. What they basically do is hold the pigments together like a sugar coating, only for to break through after applying new pastel layers. I don’t like to plough through previous layers and of course the effect is less when I lay soft over hard pastels, but still. I’ve tried each and every brand that’s available in – lousy pastel country – Netherlands like Talens, Lascaux, Conté and some others.

I have been experimenting with sprayable varnish like Ghiant H2O and Liquitex Matt Varnish and I dare say it was an approvement. The stuff is trransparent enough and has some covering power, so I can apply new pastel layers on top of them.

I was wondering: Is it not a good idea for pastel brands to come up with a fixative that doesn’t hold the pigments together but cover a layer, I mean complete locking it in like a full transparent cellophane sheet with some grip, so I can sort of glaze over it with new layers and never be able to affect previous layers again. Maybe associations with clear gesso come to mind, I don’t know.

Any suggestions or perhaps the stuff already is there? It seems that the U.S., France or the U.K. has some many more alternatives than we ever can get our hands on here.

Thanks in advance,

Corné Akkers

follow me on facebook for my latest works: http://www.facebook.com/corne.akkers or on http://www.corneakkers.com

Blayne

I sprayed a painting with a few coats of varnish, the kind you use as a final varnish on oil paintings, and it really locked the pastel in place–no pastel came off on my finger when I rubbed it. However, it did darken the pastel colors.

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Blayne C & C always welcome
        "Art and I have an agreement... I won't ask where we are going and art won't ask, "Why me?" (Bob Brendle)
        Don Ketchek

I believe that there have been a few threads over the years where folks try various varnishes on their pastel paintings. The trade-off for having a more permanent protective layer seems to be a darkening and/or dulling of the pastel. Since perhaps the favorite aspect of pastels is their sparkle and high intensity of color, losing that for more permanence may not be considered worth it!

Don

I sprayed a painting with a few coats of varnish, the kind you use as a final varnish on oil paintings, and it really locked the pastel in place–no pastel came off on my finger when I rubbed it. However, it did darken the pastel colors.

Thanks. I will try it as well.

follow me on facebook for my latest works: http://www.facebook.com/corne.akkers or on http://www.corneakkers.com

I believe that there have been a few threads over the years where folks try various varnishes on their pastel paintings. The trade-off for having a more permanent protective layer seems to be a darkening and/or dulling of the pastel. Since perhaps the favorite aspect of pastels is their sparkle and high intensity of color, losing that for more permanence may not be considered worth it!

Don

Thanks Don. You’re quite right. ‘Laminating’ layers will darken them up but what my concern is that pastel pigments always get stuck loosely onto the paper, rather than being embedded. I wonder whether this darkening effect is and ‘either’ ‘or’ discussion because in order to spray fixative one has to use solvents like benzene, etc., so darkening has a necessary relation to solvents. Wouldn’t it be possible for manufactures to come up with a crystal clear spray without the darkening solvents.

The reason I bring up this old discussion again is that I get better results with sprays that were not designed for pastel at all. In fact I use H2O varnish spray for years as an alternative for all ‘official’ fixatives. Perhaps one manufacturer can pick this up one day. :-)

Blayne

I’ve been making some pastels of my own and so have read quite a lot about the ingredients used in them. The tints contain only a tiny proportion of colored pigment and possibly contain a great deal of filler such as chalk and/or talc, both of which are white when dry but, I’ve read, become somewhat translucent when wet. The pastels I make are darker when first made and still wet but dry lighter. I wonder if a spray sealer somehow seals the particles of filler in their “wet” stage, allowing the pigment to be more dominant? And it seems logical that any sealer would round off those sharp crystalline edges of pastel that account for light reflection and sparkle. Not being a chemist, this is only conjecture. I haven’t tried spraying my pigments or fillers to see if they return to their original colors when dry. Perhaps a chemist will chime in here to offer expert opinion.

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Blayne C & C always welcome
                "Art and I have an agreement... I won't ask where we are going and art won't ask, "Why me?" (Bob Brendle)
                Barbara WC

Corne- What type of support (paper) are you using? You mention that you are trying to layer your pastel without disturbing the lower layers- one way that I achieve this without the use of fixative, is to use a sanded paper. The lower layers “stay put” and the upper layers are the colors that dominate.

Like Don mentions, many of us like the “sparkle” of the pastel pigment, and spraying fixative does dull and “flatten” the pigment.

My favorite papers for the technique you seem to use are UArt (which is I think equivalent to Fisher on your side of the Atlantic) and Sennelier La Carte (which, if you aren’t aware, cannot handle any water based materials on the surface- La Carte uses a water soluble glue to hold the abrasive texture material on the support, and the glue will dissolve in water). I also have success with layering on PastelMat (made in France), and for me, PastelMat holds about 6 layers, UArt and La Carte can take more layers.

All of the sanded papers tend to “grip” the pastel, and as you mentioned, for the type of layering you do, painting with harder pastels on lower layers to softer on top works the best. I like Unisons for my lower layers, then go over the top with softer brands like Sennelier (brands that should be available by you). Or you could go Rembrandt lower layer, Unison top layers. A light touch with your pastels also helps with keeping from disturbing lower layers. When I’m trying to blend on sanded papers, I actually use a harder pastel on top of soft pastel- for instance, Girualt on top of Unison or Sennelier- and this will disturb the lower layers. Sometimes I want this, sometimes I don’t.

The other thing I like about the sanded papers, is I don’t have to use fixative when framing- I have framed pieces with thick layers of pastel on the paper, and the pastel doesn’t “fall off” onto a white mat the way it sometimes does with a Ingres or Canson Mi-tientes papers. Of all the papers, PastelMat seems to “grip the pastels the most.

Good luck, and thanks for sharing your fixative experiments. While most of us here I don’t think use any fixative, it’s interesting to hear of various attempts to use fixative.

Still-trying

This is an interesting thread. Thanks for starting it

Happy to say "hello". C and C always welcome.

JAY:wave:

Have you tried Spectrafix? It is made with Cassein, which is what Degas used for his pastels.

The way to achieve the surface you are talking about, ie, one where you can add further layers without disturbing any of the under layers, is to LAYER THE FIXATIVE. You do this by spraying gently and quickly, let it dry. Do this at least twelve times. By then, all “holes” will have been filled, and you will have a layer of fix which will be pretty “solid”.

Tho – why do you need this? I find if I work with soft pastels, over either soft or hard, I rarely disturb underneath layers after spraying with a couple of layers of Spectrafix, because I do not use a heavy hand. I can quite easily swipe the side of a pastel over underneath layers, and achieve a “glaze” which does not pick up other colours, even with a pale over darks.

Perhaps you are working with too heavy a touch.

If you use any kind of varnish, you run the risk of the varnish darkening over time, so together with darkening the pastel, you may end up with a layer of varnish which will darken too.

Incidentally if you cannot buy Spectrafix where you live, contact the manufacturer in the US, she will probably send some to you, she is very helpful.

Thanks Jackie, Jay, Barbara and Blayne. Good stuff to think about. I considered oil varnish layers but always backed away because of the fear of darkening the layers too much (or in time, after decades). I consider the Liquitex or H2O Varnish (designed for acrylics) to be an interim solution, merely out of complete dissatisfaction with Talens fixative which turned my colours into mud. I’ve tried to explain them but like any other company I get a kind of stalinistic reply back, not even attempting to answer my needs.

The paper I use most of the time is Canson MT Touch, which is the only high-end paper I can get my hands on here in The Netherlands. The illusive pastel matt or any other beautiful papers I hear some many times of here at WC, is totally absent. So I don’t know UArt, Fisher or Spectrafix at all. I will delve into this, also in the pastel matt phenomenon. Maybe they have it in Belgium. Otherwise I will have to face the pain of paying extra import duties and VAT. It could be worthwhile and I sell regularly, so It would be commercially wise.

My basic thesis however still stands and added with your great comments, I am still in need for a course cristal-clear, somehow tacky, totally non-darkening adhesive that cling on to pastel particles. All your comments about darkening are right. In fact it causes associations with oil paint where the top layer is the cleanest and clearest one. What if an adhesive could be invented that clings on to those top crystallene pastel particles / edges like those walls you sometimes see where broken glass has been stuck into cement (in order to scare burglers away)? Just a fantasy.

I will seek out the suggested brands on the internet. Thans again and bless you, Corné

Potoma

I just took a workshop with Alan Flattmann and he uses two kinds of fixative. After getting down the basic blocks of color on sanded paper, he fixes with Blair Workable Odorless. It does darken, but it doesn’t matter a lot at this stage. After finishing or getting close, he uses Krylong Workable, which REALLY does not darken. If areas need more darkness, he sprays them specifically with the Blair. You could go back with highlights in pastel to develop the contrast.

He also uses charcoal as his base, a very detailed drawing. He did fix that with Blair.

This is all the spraying he did, but as newbies to the process, we found ourselves spraying more often.

Watching him really changed my mind about using fixatives and I will use them in the future, being sure to start the spray off to the side of the work, to spray about 18″ away, smoothly up/down, then left/right.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Bonnie Ferguson Butler [Art : Facebook]
                            Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. (Pablo Picasso)

Thanks Potoma. Another two brands on a short list. I’ll track / trace them on the internet.

Spectrafix is not a paper, it is a fixative, and hardly darkens at all.

If you SOAK your painting with ANY fixative, you will darken the colours. It is imperative that you do not soak. You do a short burst, lasting no more than a couple of seconds. You let that dry. Then you can do this again, as many times as you like. Krylon workable, used at the “end” of painting, is fine but it will not give you the cellophane/varnish finish you want, which I do not really understand since the pic will go under glass.

It is always best to spray as you work, and then work over the top of sprayed areas, then it doesn’t matter if they darken slightly.

Then, glaze your work…with glass!!!

I got the lady who makes Spectrafix to send me some, she did not mind at all. It is now sold in the UK by Jacksons, they will send to you too. It is a first class fixative and best of all, it is non toxic.

Ditte3333

Corne, you can buy Pastelmat in Netherland at Gerstaecker.nl, and now is on sale, they have also other pastelpapers.
                                Spectrafix fixative I purchase at Jackson art supply from UK, they have Pastelmat, too.
                                Fischer paper which I like very much I order from here: http://www.alpha-artshop.com from UK
                                they send only the half sheet package to the Netherland and Uart I order
                                from SAA art supply, UK.
                                Here in Netherland bij Martin Brinkhuis online you can order Pastelmat and other pastelpaper too.
                                Ditte

Thanks Ditte, I will check your links out. Much obliged.
                                Thanks Jackie. I understand the soaking and the quick bursts. In fact I only burst. My point, I think, however still stands. by definition pigments are only loosely attached to paper and are always vulnerable to shaking or dropping of the paper. I guess I am still fantasizing about a varnish / fixative layer that acts like ‘wet clay in which you can stick a pebble in and half of the pebble sticks out’ or the ‘cement / broken glass’ analogy for that matter (we’re talking about the end layer of course). But maybe I understanding of what physically can be achieved, is wrong or my wish simply cannot be fulfilled.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.