WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#226   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2017, 03:11 PM

Re: Sketch Book Reviews

What a great thread! I'll have to post some reviews once I figure out the site a little beter.
  #227   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2017, 03:43 PM

I really can't afford them because the price on them is fairly higher because they are sketch books to carry around. Since I learned to make real hard back books in high school (i am 65 now), I will make mine using Cansons XL Mix Media 98lbs/160gsm. it is good for pencil, color pencil, watercolor pencil dry on wet, although i nave done wet on wet too. It wasn't too bad. I use this brand watercolor paper and i have not complaints. If i get good enough will switch to 200 or 300lb

I do have a question. All these kits are for when you go out to specifically do art or for the spontaneous sketch? Some of these are fairly large and complex. Mine would have to fit in my purse or saddlebag.

I would probably take a few blick color pencils, my faber-castell 8 wc pencil set, a pen and pencil with an eraser. and of course, the sketch book. oh and my faber-castell wc brush which I think is a 6 round.

I will have to make a small satchel for it. I have my 12 pan Reeves with brushes in a tarot bag I made awhile back.
  #228   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2018, 08:54 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Yeah, trying to find heavy watercolor paper in a hard bound sketchbook can get expensive. Makes sense to me especially since you enjoy book binding at home. I usually prefer 140lb to 100lb paper, because 90lb is too light and will cockle in a travel book. But each their own. The advantage of heavier paper is mainly being able to paint on the back without bleeding through and heavy washes not making it cockle permanently. It may curve a little in bumps and valleys until it's dry but will flatten.

My kits range between need a decent sized shoulder bag on down to literally fits in one pocket. I've made a handmade journal that's 1 1/4" x 3/4" and stands up to watercolor. That with a Pigma Micron pen, some mechanical pencil, bit of kneaded eraser and Richeson mini watercolor tin is enough to go on - and fits in one pocket. Most often I carry a lot more though.

For one thing I've got some beautiful Stillman & Birn journals that I love, those are too big for pocket carry.. For another, I am starting to really get into gouache and that takes carrying either the Lyra or Pelikan pan gouache set. They're about the same size. Given those I might as well toss in a roll of colored pencils or both rolls of pastel pencils and then I'm using the canvas shoulder bag that I got for teaching a class last year at an event... or the oversize and rather heavy blue dragon bag.

If I bring the scribe stuff to an SCA event, it winds up being in the dragon bag and weighs a lot. But that's with actual books stacked in with the supplies.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #229   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2018, 09:25 AM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperchic

I do have a question. All these kits are for when you go out to specifically do art or for the spontaneous sketch? Some of these are fairly large and complex. Mine would have to fit in my purse or saddlebag.

I would probably take a few blick color pencils, my faber-castell 8 wc pencil set, a pen and pencil with an eraser. and of course, the sketch book. oh and my faber-castell wc brush which I think is a 6 round.

I will have to make a small satchel for it. I have my 12 pan Reeves with brushes in a tarot bag I made awhile back.

I never buy specific 'kits' but just work out ways to take my normal stuff. My watercolour box for instance is big, with lots of colours (and as a colourist that matters - you can't mix specific colours you want without the right base colours) - but it has a thumb ring underneath which makes it brilliantly easy to hold when working plein air.

I do have a small watercolour box that I was given and keep this in a pencil case with brushes, pencils, charcoal pencil,tools, waterbrushes etc in the glove box of the car. So it's always there if I want it. In the door storage I keep a bottle of water and an A4sketchbook. It's limited but at least always there.

Going on holiday you just wouldn't believe the amount of art materials I take! but once at a venue i just decant what I need into a smaller bag.

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #230   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2018, 09:55 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Oh yeah, even the larger pan sets usually have a thumb ring and are easy to handle. I have a 48 color Lukas 1862 pans watercolor set in a nice metal palette box - happily just found out you can get the metal palette box for $48.89 so I may actually have found a way to carry all my Daniel Smith watercolors portable, if I got two of those.

At any rate, that 48 color set is reasonably compact, has a thumb ring under it and I have no problem carrying it in any art bag I own.

The one time I bought a special kit all on itself was also at Jerry's. A leather bag travel set included no paint, but had a small 12 color metal palette tin with a lovely design on the lid, two metal collapsible cups, two stainless steel water bottles, a travel brush, for some reason a metal stirring thing and a 4" x 6" watercolor block. Everything but the watercolors. I filled that with Daniel Smith watercolors and found I use it all the time, it's a shoulder bag. It's reasonably compact and I tuck in a few other extras in the elastic-band pencil and brush slots, like a water brush and some Pigma Micron pens. I got it for the collapsible cups, which looked super convenient. It turned out to be fantastic in its size and convenience and of course I love my Daniel Smiths so that worked out great.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #231   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2018, 05:59 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

I would love to give a long review of the Crescent RendR Sketchbook but I have not had it long enough to give more than a bit of an initial review. This paper has no bleed through, which I think is more marketed towards those using markers but it works for all media. I stress that as well, I put a thick layer of oil on, no bleed through, no oil halo, just perfectly accepting. Watercolor buckles the paper with heavy washes, but clipping it down dried nearly perfectly flat, probably can just iron it out flat if I really needed to. Acrylic, Gouache, and Casein seems to all handle fine, but if using water has some of the same buckling issues. An interesting point was that the paper turns this gray color while wet, and dries back to a white. I am not sure what kind of size they use that achieves such a look, it is as if the paper tries to go translucent with water. This makes it a bit difficult to analyze watercolor in real time, have to wait till it dries to see if it looks right, which feels strange, but then again I have found I always have to do that because most papers lose some vibrancy or become less saturated. I really like the qualities of this paper though, as I could layer lots of pencil, colored pencil, pen, ink, and acrylic paint all on a page freely. Even better is that I can turn the page over and do the same on the other side, blew my mind, never encountered a sketchbook paper I could do this kind of stuff with so easily and inexpensively.

For the cost, the value is immense, with qualities far exceeding my expectations. Found a sketchbook I can use oil paints in for when out in the field, which is really cool and I can use it for all my media, which means no longer carrying around a variety of different pads of paper or other things. Total freedom with a single type of paper.

Oh oh, I forgot, watercolor tends to make it lint off a tiny bit, but the surface quality is not compromised by it, which was surprising.

Delofasht
  #232   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2018, 05:02 PM

I received a Peter Pauper "Premium Sketchbook", 5.5 x 8.5 inch, as a gift a few days ago and have been using it for line-and-wash sketching.

First the facts:
  • 128 gsm sketch paper, fine-tooth
  • The pages are micro-perforated
  • 192 pages/96 sheets.
  • Hardback black book binding which lies flat without "breaking in" or straining the binding
  • Acid-free
  • MSRP $7.99 USA
  • There's an otherwise-identical 8.5 x 11 inch version for $12.99 MSRP
The "line" part of my line-and-wash is graphite pencil and black Pigma Micron fineliner. The pencils work great and the paper withstands erasures just fine. I love it as a pencil sketchbook and I intend to continue to use it for that.

But I also work in Pigma Micron fineliners and pan watercolors and the paper bleeds like crazy. The Microns bleed onto the next following sheet (not just the back of the sheet being worked) doing only outline work with no full coloring, and my admittedly-juicy watercolors bled through the two sheets behind the page being worked and were beginning to spot a third before I put in some waxed paper to stop it. On the other hand, the paper didn't warp all that much even when nearly the whole page was painted. I don't yet have enough experience with watercolor to comment on how well the paper worked otherwise, but the bleeding is so bad that it's kind of irrelevant unless someone wants to put a water barrier behind and before each page as it is used. It might do better for someone who doesn't use as much water as I do, but I think it would still be a substantial problem.

To be fair, the cover says very specifically that it's for "dry media, including pencil, charcoal, Conte crayon, and chalk pastel" so I can't complain, but it really, really means it when it says it.

Regards,
Burntpadua
  #233   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2018, 08:52 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntpadua
I received a Peter Pauper "Premium Sketchbook", 5.5 x 8.5 inch, as a gift a few days ago and have been using it for line-and-wash sketching.

To be fair, the cover says very specifically that it's for "dry media, including pencil, charcoal, Conte crayon, and chalk pastel" so I can't complain, but it really, really means it when it says it.

Oooh thanks for the heads up!
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #234   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2019, 09:32 PM

Re: stone paper?

Has anyone used a stone paper journal? Thoughts?
  #235   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2019, 11:46 AM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

I bought a pack of stone paper but haven't used it yet. It's very smooth. From A Good Company.

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568