Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Talk what sells better, paper or panels paintings?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Leolo

I like to paint on paper and on panels as well but I would like to know based for your experience what seems to sell better (or what is more considered to have a higher price), a traditional paper pastel painting or a panel pastel painting?

I think that panels will be better considered in the art marketplace (the same as acrylic paper painting vs acrylics canvas paintings) but do they have a more expensive framing costs than papers?

(with panels I´m thinking about thin MDF panels with pastel primer, around 3mm thick)

I really don´t know what to choose :(

My website: www.guillermomejias.com

Framed properly, you shouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

Thick skinned and sometimes thick headed, C&C always welcome - Mike

Additional work can be viewed at Mike's site

Don Ketchek

Framed properly, you shouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

Yes, most pastels are sold framed and once they are framed there should basically be no difference. When framing a piece on paper, the paper has a stiffer board behind for support. The artwork can be mounted or taped to the board, or may be unattached. If painting on a thicker board or panel, there may be no need of any type of backer board. The buyer won’t know the difference and the artist may not even remember what support the painting was done on!

When framing with a mat, it may actually be easier to frame the piece if it is done on paper as the mat will usually be larger than the artwork. Attaching the board or panel to the mat can be tricky when they are not the same size (but it can be done). However, it is popular today to frame pastels without a mat and frame them in frames similar to oils or acrylics. In these types of frames a stiffer panel or board may be slightly easier, but not much.

I think most artists choose their support by how much they like to work on it. Some of the popular thin papers do come already mounted on boards, I believe, to make them a bit easier to use on an easel and make them less fragile.

Don

Devonlass

I don’t think it makes any difference. In most cases the viewer would not be able to tell whether it was done on paper or panel ( with the possible exception of work done on Mi Tientes honeycomb side).

Carol
                C&C always welcome
                My Blog

Moqui Steps

[FONT=Calibri]I agree with the comments above. I also don’t think a pastel painting done on a panel will have a higher perceived value than one on paper. Most buyers expect a pastel to be on paper, don’t they? Paper or Panel, properly prepared on equally archival materials, a pastel should endure time just as well on either one.[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]However, I do see one major issue with using panels hand made by the artist or premade, and that is the surfaces obtainable. There is no way that I am aware of that you can duplicate the surfaces found on Fisher 400, Pastel Premier, UArt or other premium sanded papers yourself, using a painted on ground, nor am I aware of any hardboard panels out there for pastel work that are equal to the papers mentioned above in their working characteristics. Ampersand is the only one I have tried. I didn’t like it nearly as much as Fisher, and it lost its tooth after repeated rubbing. I washed one down with water and a sponge and it became so smooth that it was useless for pastels.

Donald
                    [/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri] Ampersand is the only one I have tried. I didn’t like it nearly as much as Fisher, and it lost its tooth after repeated rubbing. I washed one down with water and a sponge and it became so smooth that it was useless for pastels.

Donald
                    [/FONT]

I’ve washed Pastelbord with no problem. Ampersand would probably replace a bad piece if you contact them.

I agree, no price difference in which surface you use.

My blog https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/
                    My website https://jocastilloart.com

Leolo

And what about acrylics and oils? Why it’s better considered a traditional canvas or board than a work made in paper? (and that’s not an opinion, it’s law!)

My website: www.guillermomejias.com

Don Ketchek

And what about acrylics and oils? Why it’s better considered a traditional canvas or board than a work made in paper? (and that’s not an opinion, it’s law!)

Numerous reasons – maybe not all of them good reasons – but reasons nonetheless.

Conservators pretty much agree that in terms of longevity oils will last longest and will crack later if they are painted on the most rigid support. So, a rigid board would be the best. Traditionally oil paintings have been painted most often on canvas and boards, so that is what people (and buyers) expect. My guess is that galleries tend to choose works done on traditional supports since that is what buyers expect. Oils on paper are somewhat controversial. Some folks believe that they are just as long lasting as on canvas or board if prepared and mounted correctly. Others argue that paper is not as archival and more fragile. This may be because paper may be the surface most prone to expanding and contracting with changes in moisture and temperature – and that is one reason why oils crack.

(Nor is it law. My nearest local gallery sells many oils on paper, but I’m sure that will vary from gallery to gallery.)

My guess is that acrylics – being similar in appearance and framing to oils – have the same expectations from galleries and buyers.

That’s what I have come to learn. Whether it is accurate or not may be debatable!

Don

JPQ

I think work itself is most important but some places look other things as well.

robertsloan2

I’ll join the chorus for No Difference, it seems to be a preference of the painter more than the buyer. Panels work better functionally with spacers. Paper can be matted. Because I used to love doing fancy mats, I lean a bit more toward paper and matting. I’ve been planning sometime to paint something with a cutout again – parts of the painting that go outside a standard shape rectangle and need a fancy mat cut out to show the leaf that broke the border or the tree root or whatever.

I use a wide variety of surfaces for my paintings now, won’t really be sorting them by that. However, it is a very effective strategy to price by the size of the painting, come up with a size schedule that makes sense and people can plan for where they want to hang it and how big a picture frame would fit. The large sizes also make mats a huge expense in framing versus spacers, while small paintings benefit from matting to stand out more on a wall.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
                                    Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
                                    blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Potoma

I don’t think the support makes any difference for sales.

I often paint away from home, so I like using the rigid boards, like Pastelbord, with a piece of glassine over it.

I like taping down paper much less than using a board, but I really like using paper, because I have the flexibility to easily crop as needed. I’ve thought o taking out a circular saw to some I’ve dismissed on Pastelbord, but haven’t done that yet.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Bonnie Ferguson Butler [Art : Facebook]
                                        Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. (Pablo Picasso)
                                      Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.