Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Studio Bringing home the catch – wip pics

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Rich A

Hey everyone. This is another recent one with some wip pics along the way. It is 16×20 inches senns/mungyos on Davinci pro panel. I re-ordered 4 more 16×20 panels. I did my usual soft pastels underpainting, sprayed a fixative on that and then final layers of OP’s on top. I’m using nupastels, for the underpainting because these create less dust.

I challenged myself on this one by not sketching in the boat beforehand. I’m trying to get to a point in my process where I can just get right to painting w/o any preliminary sketch or drawing…I’ve done that on my last few recent paintings and like the freedom of that. Thanks for looking and I do appreciate all comments and C&C is welcome!

Rich A

Working from back to front, I define my background first.

Rich A

Sorry for it being dark. I was working in the evening hours…

Here I’m using a medium grey mungyo to define the hull of the boat as it sits in the water. I work in some shadows and define where the stern and bow of the boat will be.

Rich A

Still using that medium grey, I continue drawing in the boat.

Rich A

I go to a darker grey and continue with the boat giving it more definition, and defining the darkest darks. Included an close-up of the boat so you can see the different values there. medium and dark grey.

Rich A

I just keep defining the boat more and more. Here it is before i added in the seagulls. I used medium and dark grey, dark green, ochre, brown, ice blue, white, silver grey for boat.

The seagulls were put in with pointed side of stump loaded with medium grey.

Beautiful work! It’s great to be able to paint like you do!

Christel

rbhatt

Rich,
                                Like all your other landscape paintings, this is a lovely painting! The misty morning atmosphere has been expressed beautifully. Love the seagulls and boat, and your choice of colors.

Raj

R-B
                                Williamsburg, VA
                                My Instagram Page

Rich A

Christel – Thank you! much appreciated

Raj – Thank you so much!

terriks

Beautiful! Those pinks are killing me here! :clap: Love all the texture, too. This definitely has a different feel to it, texture – wise, than the Arches CP paper.

I’m fascinated with how you started in on the boat. It looks like it’s rising up from the sea in that WIP photo, very cool.

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

talinka

Love the atmosphere you created here. Great use of color to create this misty morning.

Tali

Rich A

Thank you Tali!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.