Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air HandellSchmidWestGuzik

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 125 total)
  • Author

I’m halfway home and I’m online for tonight.

As some of you might know, I spent the last week in Putney, Vermont, working my ass of in Albert Handell’s and Anita West’s workshop. There were demonstrations (we are not worthy :D), paintouts and critiques every day (not to mention the thorough, individual critiques of previous work, on Thursday and Friday) … and so much information, my head is still spinning! Our group was an amazing, extremely talented and tenacious bunch. :D Handell doesn’t pull any punches and he isn’t for the sensitive or faint of heart.

I met Captain John (Captain’s Portrait ) and his lovely wife, Penelope. They were wonderful hosts, and John is quite the character … and very mischievous (we hit it off right away). :D :D They are both the salt of the earth.

Yesterday we watched Richard Schmid do a demo, asked him questions, painted with Nancy and the Putney painters, then had lunch with them all. I spent some time studying Richard’s painting from the back of his van. Albert also did another demo (I was by his side). :D

Although I was invited to stay until Tuesday to watch Dennis Sheehan paint a demo, before joining them for another paintout, I decided to get back to work, instead.

I’m exhausted, but can honestly say that this was worth every penny. It was quite the experience, and we were all given individual advice and homework! As Albert kept saying “There are painters who paint, and there are painters who talk … be a painter who paints! Paint or draw every day! I’m from New York … I’ll shoot you!”

While I’m at it, I’ll also quote Richard “Do you know what the secret to all this is? Drawing. What do I mean by that? If you know how to draw, you also know how to see!”

Photos to come.

Bruce Newman

That must have been an incredible few days, Jim. I’m looking forward to photos and even more toward attending next year…I hope!

[FONT=Verdana]Bruce
        www.brucenewman.com

C&C appreciated. "A studio is a good place to smoke your pipe." (Joaquin Sorolla)

Chouchou

Can’t wait to hear (and see) more about your week … Safe trip the rest of the way home, Jim!

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Chouchou

That must have been an incredible few days, Jim. I’m looking forward to photos and even more toward attending next year…I hope!

Bruce, they will be doing the same workshop again, same time, next year – I plan to be there (I hope). I painted with some of the Putney painters … John, Rosemary, Andrea, Cathy Anderson (the nicest people!), and didn’t know how good they were … until I saw their work at the Putney Inn! :o :D

Albert doesn’t pull any punches – neither does Richard (he doesn’t like galleries) :D. Nancy is a sweetheart. I was with her while she painted Albert, while he was painting.

chewie

i thought someone else had gone to a handell w/s, and watched richard schmid paint–does he go to all handells’ events? wow, i can only imagine how great that would’ve been, you lucky dog!

oh, we were cross posting–i would like to hear more of schmids’ dislike of galleries? huh? what was that about?

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]A rich person is not one who has the most, but is one who needs the least.
                --- "Interview with God" (author unknown)
                ]

Can’t wait to hear (and see) more about your week … Safe trip the rest of the way home, Jim!

Thanks! Some of the roads were a challenge. :D :D

i thought someone else had gone to a handell w/s, and watched richard schmid paint–does he go to all handells’ events? wow, i can only imagine how great that would’ve been, you lucky dog!

oh, we were cross posting–i would like to hear more of schmids’ dislike of galleries? huh? what was that about?

Nope, just this one. :D

He said that galleries used to take 33%, then 50% … now some want 60%!

He said that artists aren’t business people, and galleries know that. As an example, take a 10K painting … the gallery wants five K. He said, “What could you do with five thousand dollars to promote yourself, instead of giving the money to the gallery?”

skipstah

Jim… wow… sounds like you had an awesome experience… I can’t wait to hear and see more. I’m definitely going to have to “apply” to the one next year… I love Handels work.. beautiful light and surface effects (and Schmid’s too). What a bonus for you to meet Richard.. and see him paint a bit too (I think?).

Ya got any of your own you’ll post.. would like to see!

Skips

WEBSITE

Skips, I’m ready to quit my day job (not really). Handell is ruthless … but amazing! His wife, Anita, is lovely and a delightful person (my wife really liked her).

The information we got from the workshop was amazing. They focus in on your strengths and weaknesses. They talk about the PR and the marketing side, but emphasize “production”.

Julianne

Wow, sounds fantastic! I was thinking about you all week, and dying to hear all about it! Hmmm, how can I get rich so that I can fly over next year?!!!! Looking forward to seeing photos, and hearing more stories. And also looking forward to seeing the progress in your up and coming works :)

Actually, I’m auditioning a possible 9 day gig in Las Vegas early next year. I’m not expecting to get it but if by chance I do I’ll be looking out to see if there are any good workshops I can zip over to, including anything by Handell.

They sounds like wonderful teachers! Can’t wait to see your upcoming paintings! Did you have good weather for outdoors?

ohhhhhhhh, cannot WAIT for more info! What a great opportunity. I know that after a really good workshop with one teacher, my head is swimming, I cannot imagine this experience! Please share all that you can.
                        Did Handell do pastels only? or any oils? He is indeed incredible.
                        I am so sick of workshops with ‘groupies’ and ‘favorites’ that one for The Not Faint Of Heart would be welcomed.

AHA

We are all on the edge of our collective computers waiting…….Annie

Annie Howell-Adams Youtube
                            Blog

JanB

Jealous!:envy: :evil: :D :D :D You know you’re now committed to a day by day account of everything you learned and posts of everything you painted at the workshop…:lol: :lol: :lol: We’re all waiting :D

chewie

i’m with janb!! i wanna hear every juicy detail, so cmon!! dont’ hold us in suspence! sure sounds like you’ll be stewing over this trip for a long while, glad for you!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]A rich person is not one who has the most, but is one who needs the least.
                                    --- "Interview with God" (author unknown)
                                    ]

Marcella B

Thanks for the info. Jim, can’t wait to hear and see more:D You must be tired, but what a great tired. Did you have to go to work today?
                                        Marcella

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 125 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.