Home Forums Explore Media Sculpture Fiberglass 101 — Share your Knowledge?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ArtStudent

Hi Sculpture Community.

I’m interested in making large sculptures out of fiberglass, and am looking for some tips from those with experience.

I have access to a big old brick building for a few months, and I can work there without worrying about fumes etc.

A few specific questions I have:

1. I’ve worked with epoxy resins, but I’ve been seeing polyester resin is the choice for art sculptures?

2. Does anyone have any knowledge of what kind of material is good for the actually fiber? (I know I’ve seen woven material and also more matty stuff)

3. Does anyone have any ideas on how many layers would be needed for a large human size sculpture?

4. Any tips on sourcing or prices? (I see packs in the hardware store but it seems awful expensive to buy quantity in small kits)

I’ll be starting my experimentation next week, so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences!

p.s. I did a search for fiberglass, but didn’t see any options to search by title. Apologies if I’ve missed something obvious?

p.s.s. The following two works are by Japanese contemporary artist Takashi Murakami. Examples of the kind of playful look that led me to considering fiberglass.

I have a sculpture friend that used to work for Disney and has experience in doing fiberglass sculpture. Here’s a link to his Linkedin page. Perhaps you could connect up with him for some tips. :)

https://www.linkedin.com/in/mitch-mitton-40008915/

[FONT=Arial Narrow]~Sculpturedolls
        [FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, fill your life with love,scatter sunshine, forget self, think of others. -Norman Vincent Peale

[FONT=Georgia]My website My Blog Join me on Facebook

ArtStudent

Hi! Thanks for the reply.

Is there another member with a similar name to me (ArtStudent)?

I’m not Lynda : )

Oh, silly me, and a quick look at your name and I saw Lynda’s name, ArtsLynda, by mistake. I edited my comments above.

Look forward to seeing what you do with fiberglass, ArtStudent. That’s a good name you came up with!

[FONT=Arial Narrow]~Sculpturedolls
            [FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, fill your life with love,scatter sunshine, forget self, think of others. -Norman Vincent Peale

[FONT=Georgia]My website My Blog Join me on Facebook

ArtsyLynda

http://shop.sculpt.com/mold-making-casting/mold-making-casting-accessories/reinforcements/fiberglass/ There’s a page full of supplies for sculptors using fiberglass. There are other resources too, but The Compleat Sculptor (sculpt.com) is an outstanding resource.

https://www.tapplastics.com/product/supplies_tools/fiberglass_tools_supplies I’ve never used fiberglass, so I’ve never used this supplier, but they seem to have a good range of materials and tools.

http://fiberglasssite.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIosCbnNro3AIVjLbACh2MpA9QEAMYASAAEgIgWPD_BwE This is another supplier I haven’t used, but their prices seem reasonable.

Hope these are helpful!

ArtStudent

Hi ArtsLynda,

Thank you so much. I realized the default for WetCanvas is no notifications, and I never saw these links until now. I’ve just posted another question about fibreglass alternatives, but will check all these links now.

ArtsyLynda

Remember to set your account to send you notifications!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.