WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum > Critique Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2001, 02:16 PM
Presently at Abu Dhabi, UAE

Beautiful work Rita, as ever before.

Unni
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2001, 03:35 PM

Another beautiful work Rita
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2001, 05:13 PM
Enthusiast
Greensboro, North Carolina, USA

Hails from United States
Hi Rita,

I hadn't seen you post lately; really enjoy your work. Since I'm not a pastelist, how hard is it to rework? I thought Tammy made a good suggestion. Two trees or one... I think the colors are wonderful.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2001, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
New York City

My first feeling was that this was less Rita than usuall. I thought maybe it was lazy. I said to myself she is either giving up or getting better. I suppose when we give up on something it lets us find something else. I think that you are finding that something. When I came back several times to look at this piece I started to see the looseness and I think the beauty of that. To me you are starting to acheive something by not trying to achieve anything....
My thoughts, simon

------------------
s.levenson
www.simonlevenson.com
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2001, 08:19 PM
London, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Hi Rita,

I like the colour a lot , and .. yep , it needs more trees ~steve

------------------
"Art gives us a hint of a creator a sense of God"
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2001, 09:19 PM
A WC! Legend
Warsaw, IN....The ARTful Dodger

Hails from United States
Lovely work Rita...this has a great abstraction to it.

------------------
Beverly
http://www.faganstudio.com
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2001, 10:13 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Canada

Hails from Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by simon levenson:
My first feeling was that this was less Rita than usuall. I thought maybe it was lazy. I said to myself she is either giving up or getting better. I suppose when we give up on something it lets us find something else. I think that you are finding that something. When I came back several times to look at this piece I started to see the looseness and I think the beauty of that. To me you are starting to acheive something by not trying to achieve anything....
My thoughts, simon

Thanks, Simon. I think that you understood what I am trying to do...to concentrate on color and stroke and be less concerned with detail. To have the courage to leave some background exposed without fear of making the painting empty....To be simple but not simplistic.

------------------
http://www.geocities.com:80/SoHo/Exh...799/index.html
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2001, 10:19 PM
A WC! Legend
toronto, ontario, canada

seeing it again I adore the "disorganized" school of red squiggles that is really very organized (and everything else too).

[This message has been edited by jerryW (edited May 12, 2001).]
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2001, 01:01 AM
A Local Legend
Texas

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Rita Monaco:
I have always relied too much on drawing but I am starting now to understand the difference between a painting and a colored drawing.

I know what you mean here. I'm kind of the same way. I never was much of a draw-er, always just picked up the brush and painted, but yet still tried to actually draw with my brush so it still had that same problem with it. Too much trying to draw on the canvas instead of creating. Yep, I know EXACTLY what you mean. I got alot of learning to do too.

------------------
Don't worry, its gonna be all right....
Tammy's Home for Artists
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2001, 12:02 AM
Canada

Hails from Canada
Jerry: thanks. I also like the red squiggles. I don't know how long I will stay with this style, but it was an important liberating point in my "development".

Tammy: I am a draw-er and tend to rely too much on it. As a result my work becomes too "tight" and fussy. Being a crazy kind of person and probably a masochist, I also tend to prefer art in which drawing is not dominant but is just a scaffold, a structural element. I like paintings that are made by carefully orchestrated colors and shapes which is difficult to do, while it would be easier for me to go toward a kind of photo-realism. I am kind of going against my grain...more fun that way!!

This time I have let color and stroke do what I usually do with detail. The composition is intentionally simple and, if I were to change something I would leave out the tree on the right ( my right) or make it a bit smaller. also I would change the horizon line so it wouldn't "kiss" the bottom of both tree canopies.
Some of you have suggested to put more trees, but....WHERE??

------------------
http://www.geocities.com:80/SoHo/Exh...799/index.html
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2001, 12:13 AM
new smyrna beach florida usa

Hails from United States
good patterns of colors