Home Forums Explore Subjects Marine Art Detailed drawings and How to handle Reflections

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    shiplover

Hi,Forum,some members encounter the following problem: they make a fine,detailed pecil-drawing and then the details are lost under the paint.
        I offer you two solutions:
        1st,cut out the detailed drawing with a pair of scissors,as a model.Now paint the sky and place the model as you’d like it;copy the model with a pencil on the sky and work from there.
        2nd.See the WIP’s here:make the pencildrawing on the final paper and then cover it by ball-point pen.Now paint the sky,but not very thick and you’ll still see the original ballpoint drawing.After applying the paint,like gouache,you won’t see the balpoint lines at all.Here”s the proof!
        Regards,shiplover

Thanks for the tips, great result.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

vegaskip

As I said on an othe forum, another great painting of another time and place. Helps keep the memories alive.
            Jim

randalljazz

wonderful work. thanks for sharing your process.

"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

Fishjay

What technique do you use to get that reflective surface on the water? That just blows me away!

Lester

Fishjay

The water surface almost looks like it would wet to the touch.

Lester

Lea51

Beautiful! Such lovely wet water!

Lea

...to glorify God in my own small way by trying to show the beauty He created.
                            Check out my web site!

shiplover

Hi,Forum, I promise you to make a Special thread on”Reflections and Wavelets”.How about that? I should make some instruction drawings first.
                                Regards,shiplover

rizzok72

Shiplover – wonderful reflections, masterful work!

[FONT=Georgia]Steve Kohr Fine Art
                                    [FONT=Georgia]Website [FONT=Georgia]Blog [FONT=Georgia]Facebook
                                    "Wag more, bark less"

shiplover

Hi,Forum, I was asked to explain the method of painting the reflections on the water in the ALNATI painting-and promised to do so.Let’s split the explanation in two:
                                        A)How to look at reflections
                                        B)What happens to reflections when wavelets are involved.
                                        I made two sets of drawings,hoping to make clear some principles.
                                        Set 1.Reflection on calm water:
                                        Sketch 1:you see a boat;how will the reflection look like?
                                        Sketch 2:the man on the jetty sees the beginning of the reflection at point “A “.The water acts like a mirror:the angle of incidences are alike. Now,if the man was to swim to point “A”, and would look up to the boat,he would see the boat as it will reflect (reversed) on the water.Note:he will not see the wheelhouse and,as a result,it will not turn up in the reflaction.
                                        Sketch 3:this is what the reflection looks like.Very different from sketch 1.
                                        Set 2:Reflections on wavelets
                                        Sketch 1:The front-side of waves reflect sky at a higher altitude and are darker than the rear-side,which reflect lighter sky near the horizon.
                                        Sketch 2:the result in general when looking at wavelets coming to you.
                                        Sketch 3:Back to the boat and now with wavelets crossing the reflection with the directions of captured light indicated on 6 wavelets.The boat-reflection is always on the rear-side of the wavelet:nrs.2,3,4 and 5 catch the boat image.
                                        Nrs.4 and 5 also part of the sky as the boat narrows at the bow.Nr.6 doesn’t
                                        catch a boat reflectio at all;just dark and light sky.
                                        Sketch 4:The priciple result of all this!
                                        Regards,shiplover

vegaskip

Hi Frits, thank you very much for taking the time to show us your water and reflection techniques, I’m sure it will be most useful. Nice little painting to go with it.
                                            Regards
                                            Jim

Lea51

Wow! Very informative! Thank you for the detailed explanation, with illustrations of each point.

Lea

...to glorify God in my own small way by trying to show the beauty He created.
                                                Check out my web site!

randalljazz

good stuff!

"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

Mike L

Wonderful painting, BZ! :thumbsup:

I’m looking forward to your thread on painting water.

Have you ever used water color mask to mask off details while painting? Lots of details on ships are so fine they don’t lend themselves to cutouts. But thanks for that tip!

R/Mike

Practice religion freely and freedom religiously.

Mike L

Thanks! May I download your images to use for future reference?

R/Mike

Practice religion freely and freedom religiously.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.