Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes Wind River- Pastel 11×14

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    kentiessen

I painted this in Pastel a while ago but have recently reworked it quite a bit with some new thoughts about form, edges, and value. I feel they are good improvements-

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
        Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

CaliAnn

I don’t remember this one, it’s very lovely. It always amazes me how much pastel can look like oils. I love the sky and distant mountains – those rocks are so well done. Beautiful color throughout – are you going to do this in oil?

kentiessen

Hi Ann– Many visitors at art fairs think my Pastel work is Oil, as my goals are very similar (the usual suspects!). The transition into Oil over the last years was mainly a matter of materials and technique, not most of the other aspects of a painting. My recent focus is rocks, so I appreciate it! There are subtle color variations that I don’t seem to have the right sticks(!) for, so Yes- there is much more mountain work to be done in Oils.

Here is the link to it’s original state: Wind River Pastel August 2017

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com

Beautiful Ken! Love the snow shadows on the mountain.

Heather AKA Lucy12
                https://www.heatherrossbach.com
                https://www.instagram.com/heatherrossbachart/
                https://www.facebook.com/heatherrossbachart/?modal=admin_todo_tour

kentiessen

Thank you Heather! Those are one of the really fun parts of a mountain scene- like icing a cake-

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com

oldnmartist

It has a wonderful soft quality to it.

Everything else being equal, I would rather be in the painting zone.

This come across as beautiful realism. Could I ask how much you had to adjust from the reference to get to this scene? Gary

"Painting is a verb"

kentiessen

Thanks Oldnmartist! It is so clear there, everything is in brilliant focus- I worked with edges and contrast to manage it better.

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com

kentiessen

Thanks Gary– I suppose it is, and hope it captures the sense of place. Here is the image taken on that trip-

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com

Skyenorth

Impressive work for sure Ken. I would have thought it was an oil painting if you had not said it was a pastel painting. You have captured the awesomeness of the place while using nice soft colours which make the scene quite approachable, though it does look from the photo quite a stark and lonesome place to be. I really like your choice of colours and also how the light hits the water and the rocks and sand area. I think adding a sandy colour really brings the whole painting together so beautifully.

[URL=http://www.simmillarts.co.uk
                                    http://simmill-arts.blogspot.com/
                                    Success is never found. Failure never fatal. Courage is the only thing.
                                    Winston Churchill.

Reddyman

Ken…this is just beautifully done. I really like the depth you have created with your range of values and colour.
                                        This has a wonderful feel to it and I like how you have warmed up the forefront of the piece and played the cooler tones off the back. Just a great flow to the entire scene. Well done indeed.

John

kentiessen

Thank you Caroline! That does happen in my work, and so the transition to Oil, while not an easy one, was mainly how to get the new medium to follow along with my thinking. Pastel can be frustrating when I needed a very specific color, which does not happen with Oil. The foreground warms do really help with atmosphere. Wilderness like this is very stark, but in a pristine and quiet way.

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com

kentiessen

Thank you John! I do love the vast spaces of this particular country up in Wyoming, and will someday be able to match my paintings with the visions I have of them in my thinking. Very much appreciated!

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com

Old Radagast

Oh, wow – I love those rocks and mountains! So strong and mighty! Lovely, earthy colors, too.

Matthew

Still much to paint and much to learn!
                                                    My blog: https://autumnglade.blogspot.com/

kentiessen

Thanks Matthew! I appreciate it- I’ve worked on mountains and rocks for some time, and feel some good progress may be taking place.

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.