WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > WC Site Technical Discussions > PROJECT: Product Reviews
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#91   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2002, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member
Smithville, TX USA

Hails from United States
Oops. Or are we now talking about mediums? That makes more sense. I could go either way on that.
  #92   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2002, 11:31 PM
A Local Legend
Atlanta, GA

Quote:
Originally posted by robinsn
Oops. Or are we now talking about mediums? That makes more sense. I could go either way on that.

If we are talking about paints, I agree. One color in a line might be incredibly toxic (lead white, for example), while another color, a synthetic, will be totally safe. Tough to guage.

Mediums is another story, but with so many, how will we determine this information and get it into the product entries? Again, this may be best served by the actual review itself.

BTW, Randy, did you notice that the reviews are now more detailed in browse mode ...

Cheers.
Scott
  #93   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2002, 01:46 AM
A Local Legend
Atlanta, GA

Any thoughts on how to best handle the growing # of items in the Mediums (Oil) category? Over 200 now, I think.

Perhaps we could split it up into obvious subcategories where appropriate, such as:
  • Linseed Oil
  • Poppyseed Oil
  • Walnut Oil
  • (or just a category called "oils", with all of the above in it)
  • Wax Mediums
  • Siccatives (driers, copal medium, alkyds, etc.)
  • etc.

We had originally decided to just lump them all together, but now with so many items in that category, perhaps it makes better sense to try and group them into smaller categories.

Thoughts?

Cheers.
Scott
  #94   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2002, 09:46 AM
A Local Legend
Atlanta, GA

Sigh - could use some feedback here, gang.

I'm also struggling with the placement of several items.

For instance, "thinners", turps, etc. Currently, I have them under: CLEANING >> CLEANERS AND SOLVENTS

Because, in reality, that's what they are. Of course, they just happen to be used for mediums and paint thinning as well.

Also, certain "varnishes" are more of a medium base than a varnish. For instance:

Quote:
TITAN DUTCH VARNISH

Oil based. Brightens colours to give them an effect of greater transparency. When mixed with oil colours it gives them more life, drying power, solidity, flexibility and brightness. Prevents splitting. May be used as a varnish for paintings when thinned with Turpentine to give a high quality, Flemish style finish. May be applied between coats of different colours to provide greater adherence (restoration). Dries by oxidation. Reduce drying time by adding a small amount of Cobalt Siccative. Available in bottles containing 100 and 250 ml. and 1 litre.

I currently have this item under PAINTING >> VARNISHES & COATINGS rather than under PAINTING >> MEDIUMS (OIL).

I was contemplating possibly trying to figure out a way to have items be listed under more than one category, but I don't think that is possible.

However, I've added the concept of "also see" categories. Check it out:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/P...ategory_id=420

In the raw materials category, there are related links to Mediums (Oil) and Cleaners/Solvents.

Thoughts?

Last edited by scottb : 09-11-2002 at 11:22 AM.
  #95   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2002, 09:48 AM
A Local Legend
Atlanta, GA

Also looking for information on some obscure vendors and their brands of paint:

Ticiano
Pallio
Clouet

If you know of some that I have missed, let me know.
  #96   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2002, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Smithville, TX USA

Hails from United States
Sorry Scott. Have family in town as well as several deadlines coming due. I also lost the thread for a while when you moved it!

On top of that, I'm not sure what to think about all of this. I still don't think it's that bad being lumped together. The categories you've split them into so far look good too. All I think is that you shouldn't try to break it down too much or you're just adding complications - especially for you.

I'd still vote for "paint additives". Mainly 'cause I don't know what else would work. Probably whatever you come up with will work good.

I'm not being any help at all, am I?
  #97   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2002, 12:34 AM
A Local Legend
Atlanta, GA

Quote:
Originally posted by robinsn
Sorry Scott. Have family in town as well as several deadlines coming due. I also lost the thread for a while when you moved it!

Doh! That explains it...

Quote:

On top of that, I'm not sure what to think about all of this. I still don't think it's that bad being lumped together. The categories you've split them into so far look good too. All I think is that you shouldn't try to break it down too much or you're just adding complications - especially for you.

I'd still vote for "paint additives". Mainly 'cause I don't know what else would work. Probably whatever you come up with will work good.

I know. I keep going back and forth on it. Take a look now at the Mediums (Oil) category. Seems a bit more manageable. If we decide to collapse them back down into one big category, that is easily done.

Basically, I've created subcats for cobalt driers, alkyd mediums, amber mediums, etc. Why? Well, if they are all in one category, the comparisons become sort of blurred. In other words, we'd be comparing the ratings for Grumbacher Copal Medium to Sennelier Stand Oil. Not sure if that would be as helpful. Basically, I have the more common subcategories, and everything else still in the main category.

Quote:

I'm not being any help at all, am I?

Actually, you are. I wish we could get some more participation on this project. There are only a handful of us really providing input, and I am beginning to feel as if this project will inevitably be of little value as a result.

Cheers.
Scott
  #98   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2002, 12:14 PM
A Local Legend
Atlanta, GA

As a test, and proof of concept, I moved the items under Mediums (Oils) around and came up with these subcats:

Alkyd Mediums (17)
Amber Mediums (9)
Balsam Mediums (5)
Black Oil (4)
Copal Mediums (12)
Driers/Siccatives (27)
Linseed Oil (66)
Miscellaneous Mediums (63)
Other Oils (15)
Poppyseed Oil (14)
Safflower Oil (4)
pecialized Turps (9)
Traditional/Historical Mediums (16)
Walnut Oil (11)
Wax Mediums (4)

Take a look.

Cheers.
Scott
  #99   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2002, 01:11 PM
South Carolina

Hails from United States
Unhappy whew

I'd love to try to help, Scott, but don't really feel qualified. Up till now I just grabbed whatever brand was on sale at Michael's. No kidding. I'm just recently studying properties of paints, mediums, and solvents.

Man. I don't know nuthin.

Best of luck with the project. I'll keep checking in. If I can contribute I will.
  #100   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2002, 12:32 AM
A Local Legend
Atlanta, GA

Oil Paints (Pro) has been officially rolled out!

Thanks to everyone for their input ...

More to come.

Cheers.
Scott
  #101   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2002, 12:51 AM
Veteran Member
Smithville, TX USA

Hails from United States
Kewl!
  #102   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2002, 01:37 AM
Immortalized
Somewhere under the rainbow!PNW

Hails from United States
Wow, I just found this thread and I have some thoughts. Its late and I haven't read all the posts here so if I'm repeating something someone else said, than please just ignore this. I've been painting all my life but my formal art schooling ended quite a few years ago. Needless to say there are many new products on the market that I never even heard of. When I go to an art supply store, I see them and have no idea what they do. What if, instead of making the mediums the category, you make the function the category and then list certain mediums that fall under that function and compare them that way. For instance "Driers" and then list products that speed the drying time of oils. Many products may fall under different categories, but that could be summed up somewhere so that the viewer would see the various functions of one particular product. Don't know if this is what you had planned, but it seems it would make it a lot easier to read and understand.

Just my thoughts,
Dianne
  #103   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2002, 01:48 AM
A Local Legend
Atlanta, GA

Actually, we've already done that. If you do to Painting, Mediums (Oil), you'll see a number of subcategories. I've added descriptions for most of them ... more to come.

Cheers.
Scott