Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting I painted this back in the spring for a local contest. Spring’s Hope

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Lon Reams

This is a 16×24 on panel in oil titled Spring’s Hope.

I painted it for a spring exhibition contest.

I’m admitting up front that I don’t like it lol. I love the sky but I’m very disappointed with my ground work.

But it seems to be a favorite of people I know and won 1st place in the contest! So there’s no accounting for taste I suppose. 😃 (my own included!)

I love it all! Great job :thumbsup:

Angel :angel:
        Website Makeover Coming! This is available now.
        http://www.artist-bythesea.com/

equinespirit

I love it too, very unusual.

bhindi

Beautiful painting and really nice color scheme.

Walt Reunamo

Nice painting and congrats for the win!
                    I really like the effect the top part of the sky makes, it looks same as when you photograph right on waterline so half goes underwater and half out of the water.
                    The reason why you disliked this paintings ground might be because of it doesn’t share enough common colors with the sky and therefore doesn’t feel like it belongs to the same environment.

Lon Reams

Nice painting and congrats for the win!
                        I really like the effect the top part of the sky makes, it looks same as when you photograph right on waterline so half goes underwater and half out of the water.
                        The reason why you disliked this paintings ground might be because of it doesn’t share enough common colors with the sky and therefore doesn’t feel like it belongs to the same environment.

Thank you!

And you are correct on one of the reasons I dislike my ground work. Although the sky shares allot of the purple (very subtly) I should have used greens from the sky in my grassy areas as well.

And because I spent so much time on the sky, I was running out of time to meet the deadline for the contest so I didn’t spend as much time working on the ground as I wanted to. I really wanted to capture the look of a foreground lit brightly by sunshine against a dark stormy sky, but I didn’t get there at all. My ground is too busy and overworked when I should have incorporated sparse highlights with dark undergrowth.

Live and learn though! Thank you for the reply!

AllisonR

I like the contrast between stormy sky and more saturated ground, it makes it look like otherworldly – it could be a scene in a star trek movie.

On the far left you have an in between area – an area with touches of the purples and pinks, but also a lot of the colors from the sky. This makes the scene make sense. If you just add to this area a bit, I think it will flow a bit better. Also the clean white clouds on top make it possible for us to imagine that it is a pocket of light through the storm, and that is why we can see the bright pinks and purples in the foreground.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
                            kentiessen

Terrific work and energy! The gathering clouds have such a drama and presence. The sky and ground are quite different- possibly the source of your feeling. If color were shifted a bit? I hope you don’t mind my visual thoughts-

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
                                Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

Lon Reams

Terrific work and energy! The gathering clouds have such a drama and presence. The sky and ground are quite different- possibly the source of your feeling. If color were shifted a bit? I hope you don’t mind my visual thoughts-

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/30-Dec-2018/130333-PSX_20181223_135138-2.jpeg[/IMG]

I don’t mind at all. Your thinking is right on the money. I definitely needed to shift my ground colors towards what I used in the sky. But it’s long been done and varnished so it’ll just have to remain as is. I’ve already got a buyer lined up for it so I can’t complain I suppose. 😃

AWC123

I bet that bolt of lightning was a challenge. Everything is so crisp it almost looks like it was done on a computer. Cool stuff.

Lon Reams

I bet that bolt of lightning was a challenge. Everything is so crisp it almost looks like it was done on a computer. Cool stuff.

Thank you. The lightning was pretty fun. I started by making a transparent feathered line in the general shape of the bolt using a slightly purple tinted white/ light grey glaze.

Then i built up the actual bolt making it progressively tighter and more distinct with each layer of paint so it wouldn’t appear like a solid line of something hanging in the sky.

Then I added subtle lighting on the surrounding clouds.

The only hard part was not going overboard with the bolt and having it branch out in 20 different directions! 😀 It was pretty hard sticking to my reference photos.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.