Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Any tips for photographing oil paintings?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    TomMather

I have trouble photographing my oil paintings. If I shoot them in enough light to capture the colors and details, a lot of reflectivity appears from the canvas. If I shoot them in shaded spots to minimize glare, the paintings often appear too dark, blurry. I can edit the photos to lighten the exposure but haven’t found a way to eliminate glare. It’s also hard to photograph a painting so that it’s exactly parallel to the camera, so it doesn’t appear perfectly square or rectangular.

I’m using my iPhone to photograph paintings, because it’s convenient and easy to edit and share the shots. My iPhone 6 doesn’t have the more advanced features of newer models, such as optical zoom and portrait mode. I’m getting a newer model (8 Plus) with much better camera for Christmas, so hopefully that will help.

Any tips for taking better photos of my paintings?

AllisonR

No idea how to do it with a phone. No matter how I tried I got crap photos with my phone. And believe me I tried, for 3 years. I recently got a good used camera and my photos have improved 100%. You can get a polarising filter for a camera, which is specifically meant to remove glare.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
            Dcam

You can get good deals on digital cameras…..there is nothing like a real camera with adjustable settings. My philosophy is if you care and are serious about your paintings, stay away from the phone.
                Allison’s paintings look fantastic, as she has been posting them lately.

One thing that also helps: Varnish your works AFTER you photograph them. Reduces glare.

Purchase number 2? a tripod.

contumacious

Purchase number 2? a tripod.

Another vote for using a tripod. A decent weight tripod coupled with a remote release and locking the mirror up if you can, will increase sharpness substantially. It also helps you get everything lined up and square vs hand held shooting.

Richard P
                        Raffless

Dont forget the camers lens on the iphone will distort your image no matter what and there will be convergence.

Okay with that out of the way you can fix the head on problem with a tabletop tripod. And just place your painting on a desktop easel at the end of the table. Dont use the flash or hdr! Use ambient lighting preferable from a window so the painting is facing the window preferably on an overcast day. Got nets for your windows. They make great diffusers! As for the glare. You can experiment with a linear polariser piece of glass. No need for a circular polarizer. These are very cheap on ebay, and just hold it in front of your camera. If not as a quick solution you can hold a pair of sunglasses in front of the camera. This may work. Just experiment a bit.

Of course a good camera with a fast prime is very hard to beat in these situations. But ive seen a lot of working pro photographers switch to the latest phone cameras(for convenience) that are now outresolving(some are 24mp) a lot of the older cameras as they are so convenient. So i’m with you on that. Scott Kelbys done some fantastic work with an iphone. Its often about the user not the tool. Best of luck buddy!

Anonymous

Any tips for taking better photos of my paintings?

#1 single most important thing is good proper lighting.
                                Cameras can’t invent a good well lit subject.
                                Lighting is your main issue:

I have trouble photographing my oil paintings. If I shoot them in enough light to capture the colors and details, a lot of reflectivity appears from the canvas. If I shoot them in shaded spots to minimize glare, the paintings often appear too dark, blurry. I can edit the photos to lighten the exposure but haven’t found a way to eliminate glare. It’s also hard to photograph a painting so that it’s exactly parallel to the camera, so it doesn’t appear perfectly square or rectangular.

Low angle light from opposite sides, good color balance, any decent camera, a level can be used to align perfectly.
                                there are many threads about how to do it here on WC.
                                Go to Google, not here, search “photographing paintings wetcanvas”
                                as the key words and you can get a bunch.

WFMartin

I have described my method of photographing my paintings so many times, I finally decided to create an “article” that I can merely copy, and post. Here it is:

Photographing an oil painting, for show, or for keeping a record.
                                    It is a good technique to photograph your oil painting after you have applied a final varnish, but before you place it in a frame. Most galleries, or art competitions are not interested in seeing the art within a frame, when you submit your work.

When photographing your painting, one of the most important things is to keep all direct light off the surface. Direct light can cause a reflection, and it is these reflections that create the “glare”, and “hot spots” that are so often associated with amateur photography.

Such sources as the sun, flash from your camera, an overhead, interior lamp, and the sky [even on an overcast day] are all sources of direct light, and they should be kept from directly illuminating the surface of the painting.
                                    I use a couple of very inexpensive, digital cameras, including one which is within my cell phone, and I seldom bother using a tripod.

To photograph my finished, varnished painting, I lay it face up, on the floor of one of my outdoor, covered patios, on a bright, sunny day. I straddle my painting with my feet, with one foot on the left, and one foot on the right of my painting, holding my camera in my hands, and aiming it straight down at my painting. A covered patio, a picnic ramada, a gazebo are all appropriate structures within which to lay your painting for photographing. They are covered, and the only light source is that which happens to be bouncing around inside the structure—there is NO DIRECT LIGHT!

I turn off the flash on my camera, so I can use the available light, only. I set my camera for as full a ZOOM setting as I can, while still being able to keep the painting within my viewer window. Setting a camera on Zoom helps to reduce, or eliminate the “barrel-shape” condition that seems so common with today’s digital cameras—even the more expensive ones. In fact, quite often the more expensive ones exhibit MORE of this barrel-shape effect than some of the less expensive models. It is really a LENS DISTORTION, created by the wide-angle lenses with which they equip modern, digital cameras.

Holding the camera in my hands, and up nearly to my chin (remember I am ZOOMED), I aim the camera straight down at my painting, I press the “focus” button (usually holding the “expose” button down halfway), I take a deep breath and let about half of it out, and I hold my breath while holding the camera as steady as possible while pressing the button to expose the photo.
                                    I usually snap about 3 photos, while I’m there, but I generally am able to use any one of the three. I download them into Photoshop, and straighten one out by rotating it, crop it, and make minor color corrections, using “Curves”, or “Levels” tools. I save the corrected image, and I usually print out about 9 photos, 4” x 6” to keep in my record file.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                    https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Don Ketchek

I always get the best results when I photograph outdoors – away from buildings or other things with a lot of color (that will reflect onto the painting) – on an overcast day. Overcast is the most neutral color (compared to a blue sky).

What I find to be an absolute necessity to square up the photo is using Paint Shop Pro (other photo editing program that may have a similar command) which not only can straighten your image, but you can pick the 4 corners to create a square image. This allows you to take the picture of your painting at whatever angle is necessary to reduce glare.

Don

Hire a professional.

I’m a pretty good amateur photographer. I’ve shot weddings, industrial catalog photos–got paid to get on stage with Bangles once, and take pictures of them for a charity event they headlined.

I could do my own photography.

But I don’t.

Hire a pro. That’s one headache you don’t need.

Focus on painting.

Forcing the waveform to collapse for two decades...
                                        http://www.syntheticskystudios.com
                                        Hilliard Gallery, Kansas City, "Small Works", December 2019

TomMather

Thanks for the suggestions. I just got a new iPhone 8 Plus, which has their best camera with optical zoom, which hopefully will help as well. I also have a very nice LUMIX digital camera that I’ve never actually used to photograph paintings, and perhaps it will work best of all. I take all of my photos these days with my iPhone since I always have it with me and it takes great shots most of the time.

Thanks for the suggestions. I just got a new iPhone 8 Plus, which has their best camera with optical zoom, which hopefully will help as well. I also have a very nice LUMIX digital camera that I’ve never actually used to photograph paintings, and perhaps it will work best of all. I take all of my photos these days with my iPhone since I always have it with me and it takes great shots most of the time.

What size images does your phone produce?

I print up to 16 x 20, and I want super-sharp images at whatever size I’m printing.

My phone can’t produce anything close to the resolution I want.

My files, made by high-resolution scans direct from my paintings, average about 100mb per image.

Forcing the waveform to collapse for two decades...
                                            http://www.syntheticskystudios.com
                                            Hilliard Gallery, Kansas City, "Small Works", December 2019

Bendykowski

[ATTACH]861632[/ATTACH]

Hi everyone –

The example above is a before/after shot of one of my paintings with the exact same lighting. The one on the right uses the cross polarization technique to eliminate glare. Very easy to do but requires special (but relatively inexpensive) equipment.

If you would like a step-by-step Help Sheet on how to do this, I have it posted on my website for my students. Feel free to download and use

Studio Lighting & Cross Polarization Help Sheets

If you have any questions let me know and I will answer them as accurately as I know how and without bias!

Steve Bendykowski
                                                Visit my website for high resolution photos and more info
                                                https://www.bendykowski.art/

Freesail

For painting up to 11×14 in size, I use a flat bed scanner.

Solvent = Leaner Oil = Fatter Drawing is the basis of art. A bad painter cannot draw. But one who draws well can always paint. (Arshile Gorky)

[ATTACH]861632[/ATTACH]

Hi everyone –

The example above is a before/after shot of one of my paintings with the exact same lighting. The one on the right uses the cross polarization technique to eliminate glare. Very easy to do but requires special (but relatively inexpensive) equipment.

If you would like a step-by-step Help Sheet on how to do this, I have it posted on my website for my students. Feel free to download and use

[URL=https://www.bendykowski.us/painting-tips.html]Studio Lighting & Cross Polarization Help Sheets[/URL]

If you have any questions let me know and I will answer them as accurately as I know how and without bias!

Gorgeous painting!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.