Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Texas Hill Country Landscape Painting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    3dsMax61

Hey all,
        First oil painting in seven months (I’ve been concentrating on watercolors). This was a commission (yay!). “Cut West” oil on gesso primed (4 coats, each sanded as smooth as possible) canvas, 6″x6″.

Palette (all Vasari):
        Cad Yellow Lemon
        Cad Red Med.
        French Ultramarine
        Burnt Umber

Brushes: Rosemary & Co. – #8 flat hog bristle, #4 round synthetic (watercolor brush)

Questions and comments welcome, but please, no rotten tomatoes, I already spent the deposit.

Cheers all,

-hhh

----------------------------------------------------
        I'm tired of being a wanna-be artist. I wanna be AN ARTIST!

Web Site

billmahler

You say a lot in a small space with this painting.
            I was out that way last year and I’m reminded of some places I saw there.
            Excellent work

I only regret not drinking more champagne -
            Winston Churchill.
            http://billfitzgerald.blogspot.com/

Beautiful…Good Job!:thumbsup:

Angel :angel:
            Website Makeover Coming! This is available now.
            http://www.artist-bythesea.com/

Papercut

It is about actual size on my screen. Impressive. I’d like to see a bit of impasto (knifework?) in the rocks and maybe a touch of glazing in the tree to break up the bark patterns. But overall great job.

For those doing BFA in Uni- you should double major in a money generating degree program. Just in case. Otherwise you could be wasting a great deal of your time and your (and other's) money.
                I have an BA (Sinology) and MBA that I acquired after my BFA. I should have done my BA concurrently with my BFA. Oh well, too late for me, but maybe not for you.

equinespirit

Great painting, all the more impressive for the size and thanks for sharing your palette and brushes, always useful for newbies like me to see what others use :thumbsup:

Richard P

Nice work, especially for such a small size. It looks like there are highlights missing in the rocks and stone at the moment as that looks a bit flat compared to how dark the shadows are?

RogueRipple

Amazing detail for such a small painting.

- Kelvin

"Things fall apart, it's scientific." - David Byrne

Pinguino

Impressive use of very limited palette, especially because you didn’t use a CMY primary set.

This is a great painting! I love the tree, the rocks and that sky! it is very narrative.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                                Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

Jon

The tree has quite the personality. Nice work.

3dsMax61

Thanks for your kind words, everyone. Always an honor.

Nice work, especially for such a small size. It looks like there are highlights missing in the rocks and stone at the moment as that looks a bit flat compared to how dark the shadows are?

Richard, you’re right! The rock got repainted three times and I finally had to move on, due to time. There are many things I’d do differently with this painting, including addressing the concerns you observed, but the client loved it and I had to move forward on his second commission (I’ll share that when it’s done).

Thanks again, everyone!

-hhh

----------------------------------------------------
                                        I'm tired of being a wanna-be artist. I wanna be AN ARTIST!

Web Site

This looks like a damn good painting, the tree has real character. And it’s size pronounced with the iconic perspective brings an about face to this statement. That’s how you paint a tree!!! Well done.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight.

Nice work – and it appeals to me as a bonsai lover, also.

Steve - "Does not the pleasantness of this place carry in itself sufficient reward for any time lost in it..." - [FONT=Century Gothic]Sir Philip Sidney[/COLOR]

Prism914

A beautiful tree portrait! I’m glad the client loved it. That’s what matters in a commission.

Bizzibee

Beautiful muted palette and detail. The bright blue really sets it off!

'One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star': Friedrich Nietzsche

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.