Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting A recent commission: Memories

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Lon Reams

I just finished this commission up yesterday. (With room to spare before Christmas!)

11×14 oil on panel titled Memories.

It’s of the same barn that I painted back in September but this time it’s going to the granddaughter of the person who built the barn.

I apologize for the shoddy photo. Been under the weather lately and couldn’t muster the oomph to do any better. 😁

billmahler

Expressive painting.
            Hope you’re feeling better and can paint some more like this one

I only regret not drinking more champagne -
            Winston Churchill.
            http://billfitzgerald.blogspot.com/

This is a lovely painting and you certainly captured the memory. Thanks for sharing and wishing you many more great paintings in the coming year. :thumbsup:

Angel :angel:
            Website Makeover Coming! This is available now.
            http://www.artist-bythesea.com/

AllisonR

A barn with character. I like how you’ve cropped the scene, makes a strong composition.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
                Loretta7

Beautiful work. Take it easy and have a Merry Christmas.

[FONT="Tahoma"]CxC always welcome :thumbsup:

TWAdair Art

the colors are great. very happy painting. well done!

midwest

What an emotional scene. Lovely

Kathie :
                            Dick

I should be so under the weather. Nice one!

Dick Hutchings
                                Daniel Smith Essential 6 colors and Arches 140#

Lon Reams

Thank you, all. Feeling better today, thus it’s time for last minute Christmas shopping for my wife. That’s sure to make me feel even better. 😳

Actually trying to squeeze a painting in to give her before Christmas and can only paint it while she’s not home!! 😃

Here’s a shot of the block in work I finished last night. Hardest part it hiding it without smudging it when she gets home!

TWAdair Art

off to a great start! I like what you are doing with the background. This is from a photograph of yours i’m guessing.

AnnieA

Hi Lon, it looks like you’re able to paint very well despite being under the weather. I hope you’re feeling better today. The barn is terrific – like Allison, I think the crop is especially appealing – and will make a lovely present. And the birds are beautiful – your wife will love it!

You might consider using Krylon Quick Dry, a spray product that accelerates oxidation of the paint film, which might help in avoiding any smearing. But if you try it, make sure to use it only outside and pay close attention to the direction of the wind. It’s fumes are really bad and persistent – they stay in the air for a long time, so be careful. (It’s such a useful product that I find these drawbacks worth working around.)

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                                            [FONT=Palatino]
                                            “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

Lon Reams

off to a great start! I like what you are doing with the background. This is from a photograph of yours i’m guessing.

Thank you. Yes it’s from a photo I pulled off the net. It’s never going to be for sale so I didn’t mind doing so. I generally try to use my own photography or use one from some place I know.

Lon Reams

Hi Lon, it looks like you’re able to paint very well despite being under the weather. I hope you’re feeling better today. The barn is terrific – like Allison, I think the crop is especially appealing – and will make a lovely present. And the birds are beautiful – your wife will love it!

You might consider using Krylon Quick Dry, a spray product that accelerates oxidation of the paint film, which might help in avoiding any smearing. But if you try it, make sure to use it only outside and pay close attention to the direction of the wind. It’s fumes are really bad and persistent – they stay in the air for a long time, so be careful. (It’s such a useful product that I find these drawbacks worth working around.)

Thank you, and thanks for the tip.

TWAdair Art

Thank you. Yes it’s from a photo I pulled off the net. It’s never going to be for sale so I didn’t mind doing so. I generally try to use my own photography or use one from some place I know.

There is nothing wrong with using a photo from the Internet for a study. But If you like the image enough, just do some manipulating in photoshop until its a different image, then paint it. Now its your interpretation of that image and no long infringes on any copy write laws.

Lon Reams

There is nothing wrong with using a photo from the Internet for a study. But If you like the image enough, just do some manipulating in photoshop until its a different image, then paint it. Now its your interpretation of that image and no long infringes on any copy write laws.

Thank you, that’s a very good point!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.