Home Forums Explore Subjects Figure, The Border Guard (NOT NUDE- why does that icon appear automatically?!)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Inspired by news. Even tho this is a time of angst in America, I can’t help but put a romanticized spin on it. Artrage Oils. Appx 14×18″

Because you are in the figure forum!
    I have removed the icon for you- you can click “no icon” when you post- if you want to.

bethany
    moderator in figures & portraits blogs: artbybethany life-presence
    website www.bethanyart.com
    My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

IndianaKate

This is a powerful painting, Values are absolutely right. My eye is drawn to the dark value between the right edge of the neck and the collar. Maybe soften that line, or make the edge of the neck not straight. Either change would support the fantastic face.

Kate

Bethany – There only 2 choices for such a work – Portrait, which works only if one is painting a real person; Or, here, if one is painting an imagined person. Where should I place this work if it isn’t either of those?

Who said this forum is for imaginary work? or did I imagine my muse:)

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art - Leonardo da Vinci
        More than happy to receive C&C on anything I post
        Instagram
        https://www.instagram.com/the_henson_gallery/

Ok, according to David, I can’t post imagined images, either. Guess there is nowhere on WC to share original ideas.

Ok, according to David, I can’t post imagined images, either. Guess there is nowhere on WC to share original ideas.

Of course you can post, its not exclusive, but most of the work is from life or photographs. Just had a look at some of your other work, some lovely stuff, especially the copper kettle!

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art - Leonardo da Vinci
        More than happy to receive C&C on anything I post
        Instagram
        https://www.instagram.com/the_henson_gallery/

123harry

I like the subject matter. An almost iconic modern figure. The overall palette works well, pinks against subdued greens with the little highlights. I think that it works as a picture though I have reservations.
            The painting falls between two stools. It seems to be trying to be both painterly and photorealistic and in the end achieves neither completely. The broad treatment of the uniform and equipment clashes with the much fussier treatment of the face.
            The expression is well caught and engaging but it’s effect is somewhat spoiled by the unconvincing sketchiness of the ear and the odd hue of the neck. The hair does not look naturalistic.
            To succeed completely I think it would require more refinement and subtlety in the face and perhaps more detail in the uniform.

C&C always welcome.
            Instagram harry.hamill

123…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.