Home Forums Explore Subjects Figure, The My Muse Project

• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Olaf.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mike_Art

Hello everyone and thanks for checking out my work. I hope you enjoy it and decide to leave a comment / critique.

For the past few months I’ve been seriously working at my art. I’ve been pushing myself to expand and grow.
        I thought up this project as a way to get me to explore some different mediums and techniques while retaining a consistent theme throughout the pieces.

The Project Requirements were:
        A total of 12 hours of figure drawings
        A total of 12 hours of portrait drawings
        For a total of 24 hours worth of artwork in the end.

The actual individual pieces can be of any time length and medium desired but there must be at least the following:
        2 Figure works of at least 1 hour
        2 Portrait works of at least 1 hour
        1 Figure Painting
        1 Portrait Painting

Deadline:
        Start Date: 01/13/2018
        Finish Date: 03/10/2018
        I gave myself enough time to work on this project and still meet my other commitments, such as work and family, and simultaneously work on other projects and also “attending classes” on the New Masters Academy website.
        I wanted to hold myself accountable and didn’t just leave it open ended with no end date.

Desired Outcome:
        I will do another version of this project in about 3 months or so, in order to contrast and compare the outcomes of each and see where I’ve grown and where I still need work.

That was one long winded introduction. Thanks for sticking through it.

Below is the project:

——————————–

Chosen Muse: Maude Bonanni -Instagram: @maudebonanni

References:
        I utilized New Masters Academy’s image library and chose model Maude Bonanni. There was plenty of reference images available of her in both nude and clothed figure poses and also portraits.

Goals:
        To solidify much of what I’ve learned so far at new Masters Academy.
        Push myself into new mediums such as watercolor, gouache, ink wash, and Oil pastels. (Previously I mostly worked in graphite pencil and
        Charcoal only)

I will refrain from describing my view point and opinions on these here to avoid skewing your interpretation and critique of them. I will elaborate on my thoughts and processes later in the comments.

I know that this is a lot of information and art work to go through and I appreciate your time and effort in looking at and your critique of them.
        If it’s any consolation, anyone who comments or gives me an honest critique here, I will do the same for you.

Thank you so much!

Ohh and I have numbered the images for easy reference when commenting.

———————————

These first few are the quicker gesture drawings I’ve done. I tried to pick a good representative group instead of posting all the dozens of drawings I did.

First The Figure Gestures:

1 to 15 Minute Poses – Wolff’s Carbon Pencil on 18 x 24 Smooth Newsprint:

F1. F2. F3. F4. F5. F6. F7. F8. F9. F10.

The Portrait Gestures:

1 to 15 Minute Poses – Wolff’s Carbon Pencil on 18 x 24 Smooth Newsprint:

P1. P2. P3. P4. P5.

– Due to image quantity constraint, this is continued in replies.

Mike_Art

Instagram: @Mike_Art_Attack
        C & C is always highly appreciated!

Mike_Art

Next are the Finished Figure Pieces:

FF1. – Tom Norton’s Walnut Ink and Ink Wash on 9″ x 12″ Canson XL Mix Media Paper

FF2. – Tom Norton’s Walnut Ink and Ink Wash on 9″ x 12″ Canson XL Mix Media Paper

FF3. – Watercolor and Tom Norton’s Walnut Ink on 9″ x 12″ Canson XL Watercolor Paper.

FF4. – Watercolor and Gouache on 7-1/2″ x 15″ Canson XL Mix Media Paper

And Finally the Finished Portrait Pieces:

FP1. – Wolff’s Carbon Pencil on 18″ x 24″ Smooth Newsprint

FP2.*- Tom Norton’s Walnut Ink on 11″ x 14″ Canson XL Mix Media Paper

FP3.*- Watercolor on 9″ x 12″ Canson XL Watercolor Paper

FP4.*- Tom Norton’s Walnut Ink on 14″ x 17″ Strathmore 300 Smooth Bristol

FP5.*- Artist Loft Oil Pastels on 11″ x 14″ Strathmore 400 Toned Gray Paper

You made it to the end! You are Awesome!

Follow my Artistic Journey on Instagram: @Mike_Art_Attack

Thank you!!!!

Mike_Art

I am admiring your dedication and goal-setting, Mike. I am sure you will see major progress with all your drawing and painting of the human.

I would add/replace some your time with the online references with real humans. Unless I misunderstood and you are already drawing from life? May I suggest- your family? Sit and sketch in the park? the coffee shop? if you can’t make it to a life drawing session that is.
            There is nothing to substitute drawing from life. I draw and paint from photos too- but I know that my paintings need that from-life experience.
            The gestures are fine. FF2 and FP2 are the most successful- they have the best proportions.
            Can’t wait to see the next ones!

bethany
            moderator in figures & portraits blogs: artbybethany life-presence
            website www.bethanyart.com
            My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

123harry

Great idea! If uou’re Studying on your own it can get a bit directionless. Not only have you planned your programme out, you’ve stuck to it and really got results. There’s a lot of nice stuff here. Worth looking at in its own right, not just as a technical exercise. A very interesting post. I look forward to seeing your further progress.

C&C always welcome.
                Instagram harry.hamill

A very interesting mixture of styles and poses.

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art - Leonardo da Vinci
                More than happy to receive C&C on anything I post
                Instagram
                https://www.instagram.com/the_henson_gallery/

ArtistOz

Your quick drawings have a good feel to them as well as your figures. Its the portraits that have me confused if they were meant to be realistic like a more academic representation then they fail if they are part of the modernist agenda then they fit.

Bill,
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/artistoz/
                    Instagram, billwperry

IndianaKate

My favorites are FF3 and FF4. FF4 reminds me of Egon Schiele.

Kate

Mike_Art

Bethany: Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I am not able to make it to life drawing sessions. I will be drawing out in public more once the weather here breaks. I am also working on self portraits as a way to draw from life.
                            Thanks again.

Harry: Thank you, I did create this project as a way of having some direction. Sometimes it is tough to measure our own growth and success. But by setting a goal with specific requirements it gave me a way to grade myself. I am currently working on setting up rubrics for my own self assessment.

David: Thank you!

Bill: Thanks for commenting. Some of the portraits were more about experimenting with the media, but FP1 and FP4 were meant to be a realistic representation. Well maybe not the patterned lines in the hair on FP4. Would love it if you could elaborate on what might have worked better on those two.
                            Thanks, I always appreciate your input.

IndianaKate: Thank you. I am so glad to hear you say that FF4 reminds you of Egon Schiele, that is exactly what I was going for. Although I look at it now and see where I fell short in many places. I love his use and variety of line, I did not represent that very well here.

Mike_Art

Good practice Mike. I can see the Schiele influence in 4. Maybe try to emphasise the boniness of the joints by making those areas thinner/more abrupt angles (though it helps having a skinny model). I suggest softening the jawline in the portraits to make them more feminine.

Nathan.
                            C&C always appreciated.
                            My art on Instagram

Mike_Art

Nathan: Thank you for the great suggestions!

Mike_Art

GuyBishop

This is an interesting thread Mike, particularly because your nerdily systematic approach to self-teaching is quite similar to my own! Kudos for putting ALL your work up, including the ones that didn’t come out too well e.g. P5… I’m way too vain to do that! FF4 is fun, a sort of pop art Schiele re-make. But I especially like your watercolour and ink (FF3 and FP3), and the just ink (FP2 and FP4)… slightly macabre stitched ragdoll thing which is striking and interesting. Anyway, nice work, good luck!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.