Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking Viscosity Printing with newer "Safe" inks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    rhhprints

I have a lot of experience with Color Viscosity Intaglio using Hanco Oil-Based Offset Inks and using Raw Linseed Oil to reduce the tack; now I want to switch to Inks like Caligo Safe Wash, Charbonnel Aqua-Wash, Graphic Chemical Water Cleanup, or maybe Akua Etching Inks.
        For those not familiar with this type of printing, it combines intaglio style plates like open-bite etching or collograph plus relief rolls after the plate is initially wiped—-the result is one plate which carries multiple colors.
        I am looking for artists who have experimented with how any of these inks may have interacted with each other on the same plate, with no additives. While I will have to do my own experiments, would like to set up a dialog with other artists who are interested in the interaction of different inks. For instance, if you rolled out a strip of blue Caligo ink with a small 2″ roller, and then rolled over that ink strip with yellow Charbonnel Aqua-Wash with a 6″ roller, what happens? Do they mix where they overlap getting green, or do they remain separate on the slap? What happens if you reverse, using the yellow on the 2″ roller and overprinting with the blue?

bridog

I do not have a lot of experience with viscosity using the newer inks so I am curious like yourself. Will follow this thread.
            Do you have an account in Facebook? There are some very resourceful printmaking communities that you might also get answers from if you direct your inquiry there?
            good luck

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work. Emile Zola

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
            visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart

Baggywrinkle

I am experimenting with Caligo intaglio extender mixed half and half with strong pigment oil paints and raw linseed oil. Interesting results with small sample collagraph. I’m using triads away from the standard red blue yellow, but not actual secondaries. I haven’t yet used an intaglio first, that’s next to try. I use the extender plus paint for my usual printing, sometimes with an extended intaglio ink that’s not Safewash, the half mix is still cleanable with dishwash detergent.

PaddyMac

You can definitely do viscosity rolls with Akua using their various mediums to modify the ink. (Not sure about how they would mix with other inks though.)

If you have a chance to study with Catherine Kernan, she teaches a great workshop that focuses on viscosity with Akua inks. She teaches in Santa Fe each summer and probably on the East Coast as well. Her DVD covers it too.
                    http://makingartsafely.com/catherine-kernan/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.