Home Forums Explore Media Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera Latest work in progress

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    CG964

I began this painting with the intent to explore laying down a value underpainting painted opaquely with Half Tone Black and Titanium White, then glazing Casein transparently over the underpainting. I accidentally cut a piece of 140 lb HP paper (I always work on 300 lb to ensure my support is stiff enough to accomodate Casein). I realized my mistake after I had gone to the trouble of having transferring the drawing so changed the direction of my test. I mounted the 140 lb paper, with the drawing and imprimatura already complete, to a cradled birch panel. I had also intended to try using Casein as an underpainting for an oil painting, and, as I was mounting the piece, decided to finish it in oil.

Once I completed the underpainting, I sealed the painted paper surface with Liquitex Acrylic Matte Varnish (three coats). Once that had dried, I glazed the oil colors. I am not quite finished with the painting, but it is getting close.

I am quite happy with how this test is progressing, but am itching to try the same thing, except entirely in Casein (and without the Acrylic Varnish separation).

The images attached show the drawing in process. My initial drawing I completed digitally – I printed it at 30% onto the watercolor paper, then redraw over that sketch with a black colored pencil. The first image shows the inprocess drawing, the second shows the completed drawing. Next, I washed a gray imprimatura over the piece, allowing it to dry completely before continuing. Then I painted the value painting in Casein, using Half Tone Black and Titanium White. The last image shows the current state of the oil glazes over the Casein underpainting.

Chuck

Chuck Grieb
        Website
        Tumblr
        Instagram

Boafamily

Nice work and progress shots.

CG964

Boafamily – thank you!

Chuck Grieb
                Website
                Tumblr
                Instagram

Thanks for the information.

The subject is a little gruesome but I really like the colors and the richness you’ve achieved with the oil on top.

Let us know how the Casein glazing goes!

ABA

Use Her Name

I totally like this, the “comic book” style and everything. I also think that those are extremely large bird/rodent to have heads the size of that human skull. Reminds me of an Edger Rice Burrough’s type fantasy. Good color use and drawing style as well.

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

CG964

A little gruesome, yes; this image is from of a story I am illustrating in which the scale of the world and characters are tiny. The “human” skull actually belongs to a Faerie, which is quite small. I’m looking forward to trying the all Casein approach and will be sure to share!

Chuck Grieb
                        Website
                        Tumblr
                        Instagram

teshparekh

Beautiful drawing and nice result of your process.

Thank you.

- Tesh Parekh

CG964

Thank you Tesh!

Chuck Grieb
                                Website
                                Tumblr
                                Instagram

Perry

Nice work!

CG964

Perry – Thank you!

Chuck Grieb
                                        Website
                                        Tumblr
                                        Instagram

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.