WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2017, 01:12 AM

Litho: acidic fountain solution and longevity

so I'm going to be playing with poly plate litho and have been researching fountain solutions. It seems to be the nature of the beast that these things are acidic. On the non-toxic printmaking site they mention using a solution of Gum Arabic and a bit of citric acid to avoid scumming.

My question is does the slight acidity of these solutions affect the long term longevity of the paper? Or is there enough buffer in non-acid papers to overcome any acidity from fountain solution?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2017, 12:18 PM

Hails from United States
Re: Litho: acidic fountain solution and longevity

yes... even a slight acidity will have an effect on the longevity of the paper. Over 50 years or so, it will slowly attack the paper, turning it brown. Eventually it will cause it to crumble. I've got a ton of materials I printed in the 1960's. and it's all turning brown.

The simple solution is to not use an acid fountain. IF, and that's a big IF, the acid is only used to prevent scumming, then simply don't use it.... just be prepared to toss the solution before it goes bad. However, acid is also used to gain a bit more resistance to the ink, and to help it spread across the plate evenly so not using it may or may not cause a problem, depending on your ink, the plate and your water. Since I've not used poly plates for litho (I'm a stone guy) I'm not sure how vital the acid is.

What I'd do is make a test using the fountain without acid. If it works, then just leave the acid out when doing your prints. You may also want to try using a little baking soda instead of acid.

If that fails, and you must use acid, all is not lost. Tallas sells an acid neutralizing spray, or you can make your own using a spray bottle and soda. Just mist it onto the surface and let it dry. Prints treated that way last a long, long time.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2017, 03:04 PM

I looked at some of my old prints, and they're not the least bit brown.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2017, 11:13 AM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

BeLing, did you print off a plate or a stone?
Printing off stones, I never used an acid fountain solution. No browning.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2017, 10:24 AM

thanks for the responses. I found out some others are just using a gum Arabic solution to wipe between inkings also and only use an acidic fountain solution for initially cleaning plates. That makes sense to me also.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2017, 02:10 PM

You're right, we used gum Arabic as the "acidic" solution while printing, both stones and metal plates.