Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil going into colored pencils

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    MarcF

I was so taken by Maryflora’s beautiful Mallard that I went to Michaels just now (armed with coupons!) to purchase the pencils she mentioned – Prismacolor.
        I had done 3 colored pencil drawings before, and posted them. I did them with generic Staples colored pencils – never realized that they range from playthings for children, to office supplies, to professional artist’s materials.
        I always have a cheap set of colored pencils around.
        But after I looked at some threads here – especially the Mallard I decided to get the pencils she mentioned – Prismacolor.
        Here’s what I came back with.
        Love the “tin”.
        Have not opened anything yet, because I’m writing this, and then I have to practice guitar for tomorrow’s gig.
        But! So I got the Premier 48 pack and also the Scholar 12 (to practice with). I have a lot of sharpeners, both manual and electric. I don’t like any of them. I saw the Carl Angel-5 was highly regarded so I just…(one moment please)…ordered it on Amazon. Should arrive Monday. Less than $20 and free shipping (with Prime).

MaryFlora

That looks like a very useful collection of tools! Sounds like a good deal on a sharpener too!

There are so many “older (in experience) and wiser heads” on Wetcanvas who have great advice based on years of work. Hopefully, one of the Wise Ones will chime in for you!;)

This forum is where I first heard of Prismas and while I do use and enjoy my Crayola (they sharpen beautifully and make great lines) the Prismas give a different experience.

My only advice is to use those babies up! We try to take care of our tools but remember – you are the boss of them! Make them cry uncle….sing for their supper…….so to speak. :lol:

Have fun at your gig!

Mary Flora

MaryFlora

Thank you for your generous comment on the mallard!

Mary Flora

MarcF

Thank you for your generous comment on the mallard!

Mary Flora

Mary
                    You’re very welcome- and deserving, because it’s a wonderful drawing.
                    I think we often may be unaware of the effect we have on others – first as people, but also as artists.
                    By doing that drawing of the Mallard, and posting it, you changed my direction. You inspired me to go deeper into pencils. Did I mention I’m a (retired) mechanical draftsman? Pencil gives you the ultimate control. Corrections are tough. But less necessary. With paint – especially watercolor- when you touch a brush to the canvas, things are already happening. But with pencil, since it’s dry, nothing happens until you’re really ready to pull the trigger. I love that about pencil. And I can use my drafting instruments too. I set my studio up for drawing instead of painting (after practicing guitar).

Pingpongfan

You can use your prismas to do drawing that looks more like sketching, or you can use them to make drawings that looks like paintings. We all have our preferences. If you look at “how to draw black fur” posted by Peggy “Anniecanjump” on September 15 you will see a link to her tutorial. She has been drawing mostly domestic animals for years. You will see how she layers unexpected colours to end up with a beautiful result. She uses mostly prismas.
                        Vena

You can use your prismas to do drawing that looks more like sketching, or you can use them to make drawings that looks like paintings. We all have our preferences. If you look at “how to draw black fur” posted by Peggy “Anniecanjump” on September 15 you will see a link to her tutorial. She has been drawing mostly domestic animals for years. You will see how she layers unexpected colours to end up with a beautiful result. She uses mostly prismas.
                        Vena

Pingpongfan, for some reason, I think this is appropriate here, but I’m guessing your C&C was meant for Quick puppy drawing?

Elle Amde

Never fear; always persevere.

Pingpongfan

Elle, not “quick puppy drawing”. This is not a C&C as there is no drawing. It is just a suggestion about the use of Prsmacolour pencils and how colours are layered to produce final shades by someone who has used prismas for years with beautiful end results. Marc has just bought himself a set of prismas. I just thought he would find Peggy’s tutorial interesting.
                            Vena

MarcF

The dog is amazing and the funny thing is, the fist thing I’m trying with my Prismacolor set, is a black cat. I looked through the set of slides in the tutorial. Nothing to it (she makes it seem). It’s like, oh you want to play a Beethoven piano sonata. Here just watch – do it like this!
                                She does explain her methods and materials – it’s just that her technique is so astounding – just going from one step to the next is amazing – using lavender like that – greys – I’m a hack. I’ll post my cat when it’s done. I liked it a lot until I saw what black fur is SUPPOSED to look like – like black fur. Hers really looks like it should (well, not HER black fur, but the black fur in her drawing).:lol:

Pingpongfan, I’ll try to explain myself! :( MarcF didn’t mention anything about drawing a domestic animal (until later this afternoon), which is why I thought you might have meant your comment for the “Quick puppy drawing” (it was posted at the top this morning, along with MarcF’s). I thought MarcF might be working on a portrait, yet the reason I agreed with your comment was because the methods in anniecanjump’s video are really amazing when working with Prismacolors, regardless of subject. I’m very sorry, and I hope I didn’t offend you!

MarcF, how wonderful that you’re drawing a black cat! I did not know this previously. Best wishes for your gig tonight! :music:

Elle Amde

Never fear; always persevere.

MarcF

well, I did the cat.
                                    Pretty mangy looking compared with Peggy’s luxurious looking black lab (I think it is). But hey, this is a Bronx cat. You gotta be tough to make it in the Bronx.
                                    I posted it as a separate thread. Please C and C in that thread, if you want to talk about that drawing. Thanks.

MarcF

This forum is where I first heard of Prismas and while I do use and enjoy my Crayola (they sharpen beautifully and make great lines) the Prismas give a different experience.

I was just in Target and I went down the “School and Office Supplies” aisle because, well, you know.
                                        There, next to the markers and crayons, was this 100 pack of Crayola Colored Pencils for $14.99. I could NOT resist!

I want to get to the bottom of this “different experience”.

I’m going to do a test. I love testing things – and I will remove all bias to make it a valid test. I’m getting excited now. I know how to design tools and experiments better than I know how to draw with colored pencils.

I will post the test design and the results after I do it. This should be fun. And it’s important! If one item costs 5x – 10x what a similar item costs, I want to verify that I can tell the difference. I realize more experienced artists might detect differences that I can’t. I can tell a $5000 classical guitar from a $500 classical guitar. Probably a lot of people can’t. Fine. I’m delving into the world of colored pencils, as well as oil and watercolor. Bear in mind this is my first year creating this kind of art. I am eager to post the Colored Pencil Comparison test. In fact I’m going to start the thread because I’m hoping for a few suggestions on what you might like to see.

MaryFlora

Awesome! Looking forward to your testing and will look for your new thread.

:thumbsup: Mary Flora

KaySilver

Not sure about a test with just small squares of colour, but certainly with regular practical use on pictures, you will definitely notice the difference between the student grade pencils and premium pencils. It’s not just marketing hype – the amount of pigment (and therefore richness of colour) is much higher in premium quality pencils. You don’t need to be very experienced to notice the difference.

Have fun experimenting!

MarcF

I ran into a problem I could have foreseen.
                                                    I need the exact same shade of each color, or the test is invalid. I have 4 different packs of pencils, but not the same shades of each color. There are other hitches as well.
                                                    I think I’ll do a drawing while I put this test on hold.

Pingpongfan

I would suggest doing a drawing with the student grade pencils and then the same drawing with the prismas. Choose something with rich colour like a cherry or red or yellow pepper. Don’t put the colour down with hard pressure. The trick with coloured pencils is layering, not pressure.
                                                        Vena

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.