Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Directions for using Gum Arabic

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    nasagirl

Can someone please provide instructions for using Gum Arabic? I purchased some a few days ago because I had read that it increases brilliance, gloss and transparency of water colours but there were no instructions on how to use it and I haven’t been able to find any on the internet!! What I need to know is how much to use. Is there a formula or are there general guide lines for using this stuff? By-the-way, does it work? As always thanks so much.

A few drops in your mixing water is said to enhance the colours and fluidity of your washes. Don’t overdo it though as you will get a nasty glossy or streaky effect.

I just did a Google Advanced serach and found several articles including THIS ONE.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Neeman

Directions for using Gum Arabic?

1. Play
            2. Experiment

Then tell us how and what you did.

No6 Brush

Winsor & Newton recommend making up a solution of 10% gum arabic 90% water and use this with your colours as you would water alone.

Hope that helps, let us know how you get on :eek:

Regards
                Tony

tep394

I pour a capful of gum arabic into a liter or so of water. It does really make a difference, especially with the really dark mixes and the multiple glazes.

Regards,
                    Tom

MickeyJayne

I know, it’s hard not to have an exact starting point. I’m a very literal person and just go nuts with being told “just use ‘some’!” :)

Does it work? Yes. But, I was remembering when I first started using it that I didn’t notice any difference at all – I put a few drops in my mixing water. I was just getting really into watercolors.
                        Now, when I look at my paintings from then, I can tell exactly which I used it with – well, the ones that I probably used quite a bit with – they’re so much shinier.

I like to have a few drops in my mixing water all the time now. When I paint, I like to make a puddle of water in the space I’m working on (say a petal of a flower) and then float paint into it. I find that when I put Gum Arabic in the water, that puddle stays exactly where it’s supposed to much easier – it doesn’t seep out once it sinks into paper. I also get harder edges with it – sometimes a good thing, sometimes not.

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]"First trust your eyes, then check by rules. Many times something else is happening, and the rules will not apply.[/I]" [/SIZE]~Sergei Bongart
                        My Watercolors
                        My Musings
                        Laura D

You can also mix a dilute solution with your tube paint when you are making your puddles, it helps colors lift a bit easier. Doug is right, too much gum arabic is not a good thing. Colors will bronze much faster with too much GA.

It can also be used as masking of a sort. See my Dahlia WIP, post #62 for details.

[FONT=Arial]I'll check in again as soon as I can. :wave: [/COLOR]
                            [FONT=Arial]____________________________________________
                            [FONT=Arial]Laura
                            [FONT=Arial]***"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. And dance like no one is watching." – Anonymous!*** [FONT=Arial]http://www.lauradicus.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.