Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Making a Satin medium

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Lust for life

Does anyone know how much water needs to be added to a gloss medium to change it to a satin sheen?

I am not interested in mixing 50/50 matte and gloss mediums, only water and gloss medium.

Guide

Doubt it will work since you are adding nothing to take away the gloss. It is my limited understanding that they make matte medium by mixing matting agents with gloss medium. So, to my thinking it will be glossy if you add water only, but, what the heck, give it a try.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
            The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
            "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
            "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

It won’t work – I used to use gloss medium. Since the water evaporates you’re still left with gloss acrylic binder as the remaining surface. You need to mix finishes of medium to achieve this I’m afraid.

Tina.

Abstract coast and geology art: www.tina-m.com | Art/Science gallery: www.grejczikgallery.com

Bizkit

NONE- it doesnt work that way…. :)

"Persistance is a virtue, patience is not"....
                "It is talent, not material quality, that produces quality work!!!"........plastechie(Jim).

Check out my blog :clap:

Antony Burt

Matte and gloss medium are the same thing except matte has an additive that creates the matte effect. By mixing the two you dilute the additive in proportion to how you mix the two mediums.

Water does not have the additive found in matte medium, so adding water to gloss will still result in a gloss sheen.

The only effect adding water will do is to make the medium more fluid.

Lust for life

I thought water had a dulling effect on paint. So I assumed a little gloss medium added to that water would neutralize that dulling effect, achieving a neutral satin effect, before adding too much and leaning towards a gloss effect.
                        Well it was a thought.

hogwild

A satin finish on a piece furniture maybe but who cares about a satin finish on a painting? That’s a no brainer.

Lust for life

A satin finish on a piece furniture maybe but who cares about a satin finish on a painting? That’s a no brainer.

I dont understand what youre saying. I care about a satin finish on a painting. I like my paint to be satin and my varnish satin.

Do you have a dislike for a satin finish other than on furniture?

Guide

The bottom line is if you use a satin varnish, what is underneath wether it be gloss, matte, or satin, in the end will be satin by the nature of the final coat.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
                                    The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
                                    "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
                                    "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

Rick G

As others have said, you’ll need to add matte medium to your gloss medium in order to come up with a satin or semi-gloss finish. Here’s a link to Golden’s technical data sheet on their matte medium products that may be of help:

http://www.goldenpaints.com/technicaldata/mattemed.php

Lust for life

So if I had two medium mixtures, one 100% gloss medium, and the other 25% gloss diluted with 75% water, and I used them seperatly on two seperate paintings, the one with the diluted medium will look as glossy as the painting with 100 percent gloss medium added?

You could take it even further and say the diluted mixture was 1% gloss medium and 99% water, how could that be as glossy as 100% gloss medium. I would think there would be a point where the end result would look like a semi gloss or satin medium was used.
                                            After the water evaporated, you would have a very thin gloss medium layer remaining, which I would think would be less reflective than a thick layer.

Antony Burt

Over thinning the medium beyond the recommended amount by the manufacturer may cause imperfections in the curing of the film, but it won’t change the resulting surface of the coat (gloss or matte).

For best results, apply uniform layers of whatever mixture of Gloss and Matte mediums or varnish you wish over the entire painting. This will ensure that all paint films reflect to exactly the same degree regardless of how they looked (matte or gloss) when first applied.

Also as a top coat, a varnish will add UV protection to the painting.

See comments in previous thread, here (post #20)!

Einion

Do you know if your colour is off in hue, value, chroma... or all three?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

Bizkit

So if I had two medium mixtures, one 100% gloss medium, and the other 25% gloss diluted with 75% water, and I used them seperatly on two seperate paintings, the one with the diluted medium will look as glossy as the painting with 100 percent gloss medium added?

You could take it even further and say the diluted mixture was 1% gloss medium and 99% water, how could that be as glossy as 100% gloss medium. I would think there would be a point where the end result would look like a semi gloss or satin medium was used.
                                                    After the water evaporated, you would have a very thin gloss medium layer remaining, which I would think would be less reflective than a thick layer.

YES…………..doesnt matter how thin you cut it youll end up with a GLOSS finish. Further more if you cut it too much youll end up with a very runny mess, I would not recommend you cut you gloss with 75% water, I would definately not go further than 50-60% tops if that. I mix my own and I get to the consistancy of “pourable” and stop.

"Persistance is a virtue, patience is not"....
                                                    "It is talent, not material quality, that produces quality work!!!"........plastechie(Jim).

Check out my blog :clap:

Shirl Parker

So if … I would think …

What you need to do here is stop thinking and start doing, try all the varieties you mention and see what happens. This is not meant as a smart-ass remark. Make good notes so you can remember which is which.

Shirl
                                                        http://picasaweb.google.com/shirlrparker/myart
                                                        “Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.” - The Puppy Zone

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘Making a Satin medium’ is closed to new replies.