Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Oil Paint Brand Review

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Sparro

I just recently got back into oil painting, and decided it was time to buy something a little higher quality than my student grade Winton oil paints.
        This is a review of the oil paints I researched:

Oil paints come in 3 grades. Student grade, Artist’s grade, and Professional grade. Student grade has more fillers and not as much pigment.
        When choosing an oil paint brand, there’s no right and wrong. You just have to think about what you want from your paint.
        Things to consider: Consistency of paint. Do you like thick or thin paints?
        How fast does it dry? Does it have driers in it to speedup
        drying time? Is it in Linseed oil or a slower drying oil
        like poppyseed or safflower? Keep in mind, linseed oil
        makes a stonger paint film.

Michael Harding: He is a British man who takes great pride in his pigments and has a wonderful color chart that explains the properties of each pigment and color in detail. Discusses the light fastness and degree of opaqueness or transparency of each color. Light fastness is whether the pigment will fade over time or not. His are good quality, not one of the thicker paints.
        Still sells lead white (Cremnitz)

Windsor & Newton Artist’s grade: A British company, they are reliable, but perhaps not as pure as some of the professional grade, but still quality paints. On the thicker end of the spectrum in consistency. Still, one of my favorites.

Old Holland: Expensive, made in Netherlands. They grind each pigment in a ceramic bowl to prevent reacting with a metal container. Good thick paints. Most in linseed oil. Great quality, but $50 a tube for Cadmium yellow.

Williamsburg: Good selection. High pigment load. A nice stiff paint. Rumored to sometimes be gritty. They also have a new branch of oils in safflower oil which is supposed to be less yellowing, but not as firm of a paint film.

Block X: Buttery, not as thick. Some say oily. Made in Belgium. Made with poppy oil. Their Titanium white was tested along with some other brands and was the only one that didn’t yellow. Quality paint with high pigment load.

M. Graham: Quality paints used by professionals, but said to be thin and oily, but slow drying.

Schminke Mussini: Fast drying oil paint with resin in it rather than traditional oils. Great if you want for a glaze.

Holbein Vernet: Japanese company. High quality, expensive. Contains poppyoil or linseed. Pigments are ground 3 to 4 times finer than other companies. Comes in small 20 mL size tubes rather than the standard 47 mL size. One of the few companies that still sells lead white, as it has been banned in Europe. Check out silver white in poppy oil.

Sennelier: French company. High quality. In slow drying non- yellowing safflower oil, but driers added to make it a faster drying paint, instead. It’s rumored to sometimes gum in the tube because of this.

Gamblin: Quality pigments. Medium thickness. Very environmentally conscious doing their best to make less toxic if possible. They have solvent free mediums, and an odorless mineral spirit. No lead white.

Lukas: German company. Beautiful colors and color chart. Has beeswax added to it. Inexpensive, a little faster drying.

Blue Ridge: American company. Hand made oil paints in satiny Walnut oil. Professional grade, more transparent than a paint like Winton oils. I emailed them with a question and quickly got a personal email back.

kinasi

Student grade has more fillers and not as much pigment.

Half decent brands don’t use fillers in their student paint. Winsor & Newton and Rembrandt will categorically tell you they don’t, and from my experience they don’t.

Their student lines have slighty less pigment (a bit more oily), have a smaller range of pigments in student paint, and the pigments tend to be slightly less fine.

Remember that the quality of student paint of today, is far far higher quality than paint being used to make amazing paintings just a few centuries ago. There are some extremely good painters out there using “student paint”.

Old Holland: Expensive. [B]They grind each pigment in a ceramic bowl[/B]

color me extremely sceptical of that statement

Sparro

I love my Winton oils, but I thought it would be nice to try an Artist grade. I’ve also been making sure to only use pigments with an ASTM light fast rating of I or II.

kinasi

There must be a reason they are more expensive(?).

Some brands are just expensive because they are expensive, they try to attract a certain crowd. “Since 1745, handmade with the help of fairies”.

Snob paint as we like to call it.

Of course, there is an argument that some expensive brands tend to use more pigment. And in general, you’ll find that more expensive brands do tend to use more pigment.

But this is not something that will be universally experienced as something positive by all painters. Some people paint without solvents, and paint that is full of pigment can often be stiff and hard to handle without solvents. Some people like more oily paints that are more usable without having to modify them.

And some people don’t, they enjoy very stiff paint with lots and lots of pigment, as much as possible, and those people spend more on more pigmented paint.

And some people are just snobs, and they’ll go for the really expensive brands, because it makes them feel good. More power to them, they keep the industry alive and are subsidizing the rest of us.

It’s a choice you make.

Gigalot

There are also Made in China paints. Siic Marie is one of the best quality brand. :angel: 40 ml tubes are professional “fines quality” paints. 50 ml tubes and larger are “fine grade” and are free of Cadmiums and Cobalts.
                        Probably they are “hand made” even more than “Old Holland” brand :lol:

Sparro

Well, perhaps the Old Holland brand grinds them in a ceramic bowl, but not by hand. Probably, it is done mechanically. Just not ground in a metal container. Call me naive, but I believed them. I never said Old Holland was hand made. I just said their pigments are ground in a ceramic container. The point being, not in a metal container.

Gigalot

Well, perhaps the Old Holland brand grinds them in a ceramic bowl, but not by hand. Probably, it is done mechanically. Just not ground in a metal container. Call me naive, but I believed them.

They use “Three roller machines” with rollers made from porphyry stone.

kinasi

They use “Three roller machines” with rollers made from porphyry stone.

“handmade paint” … with machine….but hands are close by ! …= “HANDMADE!” … = $80 tube of naphthol red (ASTM rating III)

new mercedes benz for CEO…not hand made

Anonymous

Grinding the pigment is a completely separate operation than dispersion of the pigment in binder, which is what those rollers are doing, Alex, you know this right? those rollers don’t grind the pigment, they mix it with the oil. Grinding the pigment is done in the dry state with no oil.
                                        I grind pigment in a mortar and pestle, then disperse it in oil on a tile slab, but I seldom do it anymore.

Gigalot

Grinding the pigment is a completely separate operation than dispersion of the pigment in binder, which is what those rollers are doing, Alex, you know this right? those rollers don’t grind the pigment, they mix it with the oil. Grinding the pigment is done in the dry state with no oil.
                                            I grind pigment in a mortar and pestle, then disperse it in oil on a tile slab, but I seldom do it anymore.

I guess, you meant milling? Three roller machine can’t break pigment particles and aggregates. They are too hard to break. You need ball mill, jet mill or something to do that job. But three rollers breaks agglomerates of pigment, disperse them and help to wet well dispersed pigment particles with oil. Colorman push paint into this machine several times to achieve homogeneous paste and superb handling properties. He did “hand made” control of paint quality ;)

Anonymous

I am confused now about what that OH claim means.
                                                Yes, you are right, since OH only mentioned pigment I assumed they meant just pigment and not paint. It is also customary to call dispersing the paint mix, grinding the paint.

I also just can’t believe OH is saying that they are making or dispersing all of their paint in a ceramic bowl.

Blick and others report this:

Pigments are ground in stone rather than metal rollers.

some of the sources say stone rollers, and that sounds like a triple roller that makes the paint.

Delofasht

Good assessment of the various brands, dangerous place to put such information here in the technical forums. We are sure to break this down and argue about something, without fail. (see above)

In regards to that argument in fact, a good question is whether the tools are the ones making the paint, or the person operating those tools. Further even, is it the art that makes itself and we are just the tools that perform the function?

All things are handmade so long as someone is there controlling the quality and adjusting the variables by hand, when a computer analyzes data and automatically adjusts the variables itself. . . then it’s not hand made anymore. There is in fact, little wrong with completely computer made paints though, so long as the quality is the result desired, automation makes the prices go down dramatically. The unfortunate side effect of automation is that less people have jobs.

Now then, back on topic. Generally people like a thicker paint because it’s easier to thin out a thick paint with medium then it is to thicken a thin paint. This is partly true, one can always just set their paint on a paper towel to soak out some of the oil and end up with an extremely firm paint, but it might end up underbound. This is a risk worth the effort if you are painting into a couch though, as the couch will provide enough oil to keep it sticking to the surface.

- Delo Delofasht
                                                    Antonin

I am confused now about what that OH claim means.
                                                        Yes, you are right, since OH only mentioned [U]pigment[/U] I assumed they meant just pigment and not paint. It is also customary to call dispersing the paint mix, grinding the paint.

I also just can’t believe OH is saying that they are making or dispersing all of their paint in a ceramic bowl.

Blick and others report this:

some of the sources say stone rollers, and that sounds like a triple roller that makes the paint.

Did you see this from Old Holland’s website?
                                                        https://www.oldholland.com/discover/production-process/

First the pigment and oil are mixed in a large metal vat with steel mixer blades.
                                                        Then this mix is put through a triple roll (apparently porphyry or ceramic rollers, although I don’t see that stated anywhere on their website any more) mill several times.
                                                        The paint is then packaged in tubes.

Anonymous

Did you see this from Old Holland’s website?
                                                            [url]https://www.oldholland.com/discover/production-process/[/url]

First the pigment and oil are mixed in a large metal vat with steel mixer blades.
                                                            Then this mix is put through a triple roll (apparently porphyry or ceramic rollers) mill several times.
                                                            Then they are packaged in tubes.

Ok I believe that, but the claim was that pigments were all ground in a ceramic bowl, probably just mistaken wording.

Antonin

Ok I believe that, but the claim was that they were all ground in a ceramic bowl.

What site says this? Don’t you think it’s just mistranslated from the Dutch?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.