Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum What do you use for drawing on canvas?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Barbara WC

I am curious what others use to draw on their canvas before painting.

If I am doing alla prima work (which is most of the time), I just use my brush and “draw” with burnt umber thinned with gamsol.

For a couple of detailed paintings I have used a light blue pastel pencil (recommended by someone in my art group). I like the light blue pastel pencil, it won’t dirty white like charcoal. However, the drawing disappears easily once paint is applied.

Just curious what others use. I am thinking in advance for when I start doing more complicated compositions and want a more permanent drawing to map the objects- what about a light graphite sketch?

AnnieA

I often use The General’s Charcoal pencils. Generally, my canvases are toned, so the White Charcoal is the one I use most frequently. It seems a little more solid than regular charcoal, and doesn’t smear much (the black one smears a little more than the white, but still much less than regular charcoal. I think the charcoal material may be mixed with something else to achieve this more solid quality.

I also do quick oil sketches as you do, and for more complex scenes – such as cityscapes where angles must be right for the piece to read well – I will use a blown up photograph and Saral paper (it’s sort of like carbon paper).

FYI, it’s probably better to avoid graphite, as there are documented cases of bleed through. Although it may not be “bleed through” exactly. As oil paints age, they become more transparent, and this may reveal the graphite below the paint layers. There’s a graphite color Saral paper that’s better avoided, as it can smear and affect color applied on top of it.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
            [FONT=Palatino]
            “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

contumacious

When I want to draw precisely on a panel or canvas I use Polychromos colored pencils and I match the color to what is going to be painted so any lines that might show through as the paint dries won’t matter. They are oil based and wipe off fairly well with OMS for changes. I have never had problems with them mixing with the paint, but I tend to use fairly light and harmonious colors.

Delofasht

When I want to draw precisely on a panel or canvas I use Polychromos colored pencils and I match the color to what is going to be painted so any lines that might show through as the paint dries won’t matter. They are oil based and wipe off fairly well with OMS for changes. I have never had problems with them mixing with the paint, but I tend to use fairly light and harmonious colors.

This is very near my method for doing an underdrawing for a painting as well (when I actually do an underdrawing). The only difference is I usually use Walnut oil instead of OMS for correcting my mistakes, which loosens the binder in the pencils and allows them to be wiped off with minimal staining (for most colors).

- Delo Delofasht
                    Dcam

Interesting you guys; I also use the polychromos pencil/pencils often. Indeed oil based. The waxy ones are not good.
                        I also use good old graphite and sometimes let it show in my paintings. Great for clapboard on houses and telephone wires. If I need to fix the graphite I use Sennelier or Lascaux fixative…..the best.

I draw with simple chalk on colored grounds.

WFMartin

I use charcoal to draw directly, or, when coated on the back of tracing paper, as a transfer to the canvas.

For many landscapes, I use a pointed brush with quite liquid Burnt Umber, or Raw Umber. There is nothing more compatible with a future oil paint application, than performing the drawing in oil paint, as well.

I never use graphite for any drawing that will have oil paint applied over it, because of the controversial nature of graphite striking through oil paint–even after the oil paint has dried.

Never mind that many claim that graphite doesn’t do that–I still don’t believe in tempting fate, even if it proves that I’m wrong.:lol: At least, not when charcoal performs so WELL for that purpose.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Ellis Ammons

Polychromos Oil Pencils when I don’t want lines to smudge like when using a grid or something.

Charcoal if I want to do an elaborate drawing with shading and what not. I wipe off most of the charcoal before I paint over that area though otherwise it can make the paint dirty. Could do the same thing with the Oil pencils but it’s alot more work. You can thin and blend oil pencils out the same as thinning a wash with oil paint. You could actually do a pretty elaborate drawing with the oil pencils now that I think about it. I might have to try that one day.

Check out my work in the acrylics Hall of Fame Camellia WIP
                                oil and acrylic paintings..

Tom Murray

I use an HB pencil to outline shapes.
                                    Then a wash of ocher or burnt sienna.

wal_t

When it is a bit more complex to just use a brush only I do a graphite drawing with a 3B pencil. Once I am happy with the drawing I seal it with a mixture of acrylic and acrylic medium in a color I like and a bit of acrylic primer to work on further …. often a burnt sienna mixed with burnt umber or yellow ocre. APply it thin enough to see the pencil lines through that layer. Sometimes I reinforce the drawing with a small brush and acrylic paint thinned such that it flows easily. That ground is perfect for oil painting … for me that is.

wal_t

Just to make a bit more clear what i use in that layer …. roughly:
                                            1 part acrylic paint
                                            1 part acrylic primer
                                            1 part water
                                            1 part acrylic medium

Walter

Michael Lion

I use a regular graphite pencil (2H).

contumacious

This is very near my method for doing an underdrawing for a painting as well (when I actually do an underdrawing). The only difference is I usually use [B]Walnut oil instead of OMS for correcting my mistakes[/B], which loosens the binder in the pencils and allows them to be wiped off with minimal staining (for most colors).

I tried this and it does work quite a bit better than OMS. Plus it should prevent the paint from sinking in more where lines have been erased which has been a problem a few times for me. Thanks for the tip!

Barbara WC

I love the idea of using Polychromo oil pencils and would have never thought of using them on the canvas- I have a number of those that don’t get use for much else!

Thanks everyone- interesting discussion!

PhuongMy

I use my brush and yellow orchre + burn umber to sketch.

oil painting (from middle of April 2018)

C&C are always welcome.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.