Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing trying to get my colors and effect right…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    mack-n-nc

Now then…I have seen a painting by Thomas Moran ‘Cliffs of the Upper Colorado River, Wyoming Terrority;’ on a book jacket..the painting is striking..at least to me…Now I don’t want to copy it..(can’t anyway..haven’t that much talent) but I would like to get effect of the storm that is on the cliffs of the mesas in the background…The rain I assume is skilled brush strokes, but the clouds…lord those clouds…The dark gray/light gray I assume..just a touch of blue at the very top..but I am also seeing yellow…brown…white/red mixed..(I assume but have no idea how to even begin to get those colors…any ideas?

Addendum: I guess you need to know what colors I am working with as well..I have a set of ‘Bob Ross Landscape’ colors, which as most of the basics..I thought they were made by Martin but I was wrong…a closer check reveals they are made (in the USA surprise surprise) by ‘Dixon’…

I love modern technology. I just don't want to touch it!....C&C welcome

Pinguino

Moran may have painted more than one version, so it’s not clear which you mean. They have similar concept. The online images appear to be yellowed with age.

Can’t advise you further, but I’d try white with Prussian Blue, Dark Sienna, and Yellow Ochre, in that paint set.

Delofasht

Exploring color space could be a good idea because the colors Pinguino mentions has a very broad range of mixable colors. Tinting them all to various strengths could be a good idea then mixing these tints together to achieve most of the colors there.

- Delo Delofasht
              Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.