WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Bay Area, California

Hails from United States
Gloves in a Bottle and other Barrier Creams

I'm wondering if any of you use 'Gloves in a Bottle' or other barrier creams when working without gloves.

I use this product, and I like it as a moisturizer. But it's hard for me to believe that it actually has any health benefits since the product completely soaks in.

I'm about to run out and I like it enough that I think I'll get more. Then I came across 'Ez Air Invisible Glove lotion'. Has anyone tried it? I found it at Jerry's and it's quite a bit less expensive:

Ez Air Invisible Glove Lotion
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2010, 01:41 PM
A Local Legend
St.marys, GA

Hails from United States
Re: Gloves in a Bottle and other Barrier Creams

Hi Timon, i know what you mean. i also use it and keep wondering my self. but than there are times i foget and just pick up the stick and don't use it. being the colour is all rready on my fingers. i us one by Winsor & Newton it's Artguard Barrier Cream. it was only 13.95 at Hobby Lobby and i got 40% off on it. ended up like 8.37 for 8.4 us oz. 250 ml. its like a oilly past. it does seem to last a lone time.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

I use Gloves in a Bottle, have been for years, and Marvelous Marianne's Skin Safer. Marianne's I use less often as it leaves a matte coating on your skin that wears off, but it seems to condition the skin well. There is a company that makes lotions that are "healthy" if you are looking for something along that genre called www.lush.com, but they are not barrier creams.
Life is short, back AWAY from the computer, get off yer butt and go PAINT!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2010, 06:36 PM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States

I use a product that is called "Barrier Cream." I bought it at WalMart and it works great. It just makes it easier to wash your hands. That's the only benefit I've ever experienced when using a lotion before painting.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2010, 07:39 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Washington state

Hails from United States

I have extremely sensitive skin - have had all my life - so I'm very careful about what I use. Gloves in a Bottle may not seem to do anything other than make it easier to wash your hands, but I've found that if I don't use it the skin on my palms, thumbs and fingertips tend to dry out more easily' and if I'm in a major painting mode, they will begin to crack and peal. Too many of the other brands have ingredients that I can't let touch my skin - such as lanolin and all of it's deritives (can't wear wool either!). Needless to say, I very seldom forget to use my Gloves in a Bottle, and even keep more than one bottle at all times. I like that it takes so little lotion to completely cover my hands, and it doesn't leave even the slightest oily or sticky residue.

Peggy
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2010, 08:19 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I've used Kerodex 51. You have to order it from the pharmacy, generally, but it's commonly available. It's made for industrial applications. There's one for use with dry or oily work (51) and one for wet work (71).

BTW, using any kind of cream like this, be sure to scratch your fingernails on your palm to work it under the tips of your nails.

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2010, 08:48 PM

Deborah:

What a smart suggestion! You just changed my life a bit!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2010, 08:11 AM
A WC! Legend
Harstad, Norway

Hails from Norway

I use Kerodex 71, without it my hands dry out, the skin crack and start to peal. Can't paint without it! I didn't know about the difference between 51 and 71, thanks Deborah.

My Website My blog
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Enthusiast
Middle of NC

Hails from United States

I have both the barrier cream by windsor and newton which is much thicker and more oily and gloves in a bottle. i like gloves in a bottle best as it soaks in so much better. I do wear gloves sometimes as well but prefer to use the gloves in a bottle. It does make washing off the pigment so much easier. Plus, I do think it keeps it out of our skin as well.

Sara
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco

Hails from United States

My only concern is that the lotion will rub off on the smaller pastel chips and affect the consistency? Does it leave any kind of residue on the sticks? I'd reconciled to green fingernails...
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Glasgow, Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuas2
My only concern is that the lotion will rub off on the smaller pastel chips and affect the consistency? Does it leave any kind of residue on the sticks? I'd reconciled to green fingernails...

I've never used any barrier creams before and I'm also wondering if it leaves marks on either the paper/painting/stick?...

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuas2

I know Gloves in a Bottle leaves no residue of any kind on the pastel sticks, pieces of pastel or paper. You don't have to use a lot of lotion to completely cover your hands and nails, and it dries very quickly. I don't even feel as though I've used anything on my hands once its dry, and I don't have to even think about fingernails being discolored because I too make certain the lotion gets under the tips.

Peggy
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2010, 03:36 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

The Kerodex never affects the pastels in any way either.

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Enthusiast
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

How often must you reapply any of this stuff? I constantly use baby wipes to wipe my hands. And they tend to dry my hands out. Even the sensitive skin ones. My hands are prone to dermititis from lotions and soaps so I wonder if any of these products would benefit me.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2010, 11:51 PM
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGresko
How often must you reapply any of this stuff? I constantly use baby wipes to wipe my hands. And they tend to dry my hands out. Even the sensitive skin ones. My hands are prone to dermititis from lotions and soaps so I wonder if any of these products would benefit me.

Gloves in a Bottle should be reaplied about every 4 hours if you are washing them a lot. I can't use baby wipes at all. Instead, I use a damp washcloth that I hang from my easel. When painting plein air I just put it into a plastic bag. I like it much better than baby wipes, and if need be I can re-wet if from the water I always carry with me. Even a slightly dirty washcloth still works to get most of the pastel off my fingers.

Peggy