WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2009, 04:47 PM

Pricing of individual pastels vs. sets

Hi everyone. I've noticed that, in certain instances, certain online retailers will price a set of pastels such that the set prices exceeds the total if each stick was purchased separately. I can understand that if it comes in a wooden box, otherwise, I'm baffled.

For example, at one retailer the cost of the 4 sets of 20 Pan Pastels is $.15 less the the set of 80. In another instance, a set of 24 Schmincke costs 9% less if purchased separately. In yet another case, a set of 18 Great Americans would be 3.65% less if purchased separately.

Any thoughts why?

Last edited by wiiawiwb : 12-17-2009 at 04:53 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2009, 05:17 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Pricing of individual pastels vs. sets

I have no idea why that happens. More often than not, they're cheaper individually if purchased in a set. I have to cost it out though because it can sometimes run that way. Or one size of set is the most cost effective -- and it's not always the largest, if that happens it's usually somewhere in the mid-size sets.

I think the fifteen cent difference between four sets of 20 or a set of 80 Pan Pastels is just something formulaic. It's so small that it's irrelevant depending on whether you want all 80 or want to get the full range right off. The other thing with those sets is to look at what's in the box, because I think you get more Sofft knives and sponges with four separate 20 color sets than in an 80 color set. Of course you also wind up getting an extra white and an extra black.

I got mine that way, first the 20 color Painters set and a separate pan of Chromium Green mass tone, then the Tints set and the Shades set, now I'm waiting to pick up the Deep Dark Shades set -- which at least has no duplicates. I know I'm short a neutral gray or two though doing it that way.

So I'm pretty much happy that there isn't much of a difference otherwise I'd be stacking up a lot of extra Pans!

It's important to check though. Thanks for mentioning that about the Schminke, I might do better just choosing some favorite colors in Schminke.

I can understand the logic of pricing sets lower than the cost of buying all their sticks separately, that encourages people to buy sets instead of just four favorite colors and stop there. But pricing the sets higher than getting individual sticks seems a little strange -- although I guess those sturdy slotted foam cardboard boxes can cost a bit too.

On wood box sets I expect it to run high, because I'm getting a nice wooden box. Comparing a lot of different products, the wood boxes run between $20 and $30 most of the time, with a few horribly expensive exceptions that I'd be paying $100 for a nice wood box.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2009, 05:22 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiawiwb
Any thoughts why?
I assume these are all from the same retailer, yes? All I can guess is that there is a mark-up to cover the cost of the box (however modest and cardboardy it might be) and to cover the extra packaging/handling to sort them all into their assigned slots in the boxes.

I'm guessing, of course.

Jan
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Enthusiast
California Central Coast

Hails from United States

Maybe they have to pay the Artist whose name\painting is on the the front of the box

Additional work can be viewed at Mike's site
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2009, 06:52 AM

Almost all retailers' prices reflect a discount for buying a set. It's only in a few instances that I noticed a premium charged and none involved fancy packaging nor artist endorsements.

The Pan Pastel example involved peanuts but, in the Schmincke case, 9% is significant.

Oh well, some things in life are not meant to be understood.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2009, 09:55 AM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Indeedy! My guess is that the reason are the number of sponges and tools you get with the bigger set, so a fair count of the price would include the cost of those, which leads me to think that what you save is the cost of the tools-pack included. Say you get tools and sponges worth about $ 20, probably even more, as the 80 set is bigger than the one of 20 I got. As sticks have no tools, it is more obvious that the larger Schmincke set has a more easily calculable lower price.

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2009, 12:02 PM
A Local Legend
Brownsville TX "On the Border, By the Sea"

Hails from United States

You should be sure to compare exactly the colors you get in the smaller sets with the colors in the larger sets, because when I compared the full set of Sennelier Oil Pastels with the different small sets, there were colors I didn't get with the small sets and a lot of duplicates of other colors. That might be true with the Pan Pastels as well, so you should verify.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2009, 02:10 PM

Shirl,

What I did was look up each of the specific sticks in the 24 set and price them individually. The total of the 24 sticks was less than the set. Go figure.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2009, 03:27 PM
A WC! Legend
Seattle

Hails from United States

Oh boy - are you going to get to buy new pastels??? YEAH FOR YOU

as for pricing... it's bizarre - glad you got us all to look again.

Barb

www.MorninNoonanNight.com
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2009, 03:55 PM

It is fun buying pastels. Hmm, let's see, I want some of these. No, wait. Maybe I should get some of those. Yeah, but I just have to get a few of them.

Oh what fun .....
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Immortalized
Salmon Arm, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

It reminds me of my childhood, going to the corner store and standing infront of the candy counter, with a dime burning a hole in my pocket. "I'll have one of those, two of those...." The price of the candy went up, but everything else is the same.

Doug
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2009, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Charming South

Hails from United States

When shopping online, I keep my calculator open and divide the set prices by the number of sticks included against the cost of individual sticks. It is surprising at times that the cost of the individual sticks is less (not comparing sets with wood boxes). I am more interested in individual sticks now, so I seldom look at sets unless I want to try a different brand.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2009, 08:22 AM
Bedford MA, USA

Hails from United States

I looked at Derwent Graphitint pencils at Blick, and the set in a metal can was more than the individual colors. I just assumed that the pretty can was causing the jacked up price. Kindof like the Alligator shirts - 20 dollar alligator on a 5 dollar shirt.

Luana
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Glendale, CA

Question Re: Pricing of individual pastels vs. sets

I don't understand this either. And it's not only on pastels but with the paper as well and sometimes with grocery items. It should be cheaper when you buy more but it's the other way around.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Charming South

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by straycat27
I don't understand this either. And it's not only on pastels but with the paper as well and sometimes with grocery items. It should be cheaper when you buy more but it's the other way around.

You are right about the pricing on paper and grocery items. Whenever there are choices in quantities or sizes, it is wise to do some mental math or pull out a calculator.

Many times retailers use a formula based on their wholesale cost to determine their retail price, and sometimes they don't take time to really look at the results. We are looking at a few items while they are busy with all their items.