WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

Re: Best pastel pencil sharpener?

Sounds great , can't wait to see the first prototype.

www.honeywoodstudio.com
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2009, 09:15 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryNorthants
It will give us a series of different width edges as well as points and chisels, A big bonus will be the ability for the first time to have combed edges for fur and foliage..... after all why should brush painters have all the fun, right?
Gary, this sounds super! Chisel points are my fav for graphite and charcoal pencil sketching (heck, my sketch fountain pen has a calligraphy nib!) and it'd be a gas to have them on pastel pencils. Bravo to you! Looking forward to more detail on this tool. Thanks!

Jan
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2009, 09:32 PM
Indiana

I own and use a Creative Mark Multi-point Professional hand operated crank pencil sharpener. I purchased it from www.aswexpress.com. It's terrific. My pastel pencils sharpen to as sharp a point as I want (there are several choices) and they DO NOT break off. Sharpening them is a snap.

Love it, love it! I highly recommend it.

Mary Ann Pals

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2009, 10:46 PM
Resting in Peace
Norfolk, Virginia

Hails from United States

Mary,

I own three of these sharpeners. I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread when I first bought it. Trouble is on a steady diet of of pastel pencils they soon grow dull and useless. I have one sharp one left and use it for colored pencils.

When I removed the helical cutter for cleaning I noticed another small adjustment inside which should be used to compensate for the slight amount of size lost when sharpening the cutter. Problem is I can't find a source for getting the sharpener sharpened.

You didn't mention which pencils you use. I have several brands and find the Derwent, Conte and Cretacolor in that order the hardest to sharpen. The Gioconda and Generals are the easiest.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2009, 11:04 PM
Indiana

Hmmm, I find your experience to be interesting because I've never had a problem with mine getting dull and I've used it heavily for a few years now. I use several different kinds of pastel pencils, with most of them being Conte and Carbothello.

I also bring my sharpener along for my adult pastel students to use on a weekly basis at the classes I teach. No problems so far.

Mary Ann Pals

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2009, 11:43 PM
Enthusiast
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

I just stepped into this thread because this issue has been driving me nuts (no comments Gary!) I have been using an X-Acto knife but it ain't pretty!
I just had a thought and I'll try it out and report back. I have one of those dremmel tools for doing my dog's nails... needless to say it's not used because he'll have nothing to do with it! Aside from that I can adjust the speeds and I'll bet it'll do a good job on pastel pencils!
Sheila aka RLT

-Helen Keller
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Enthusiast
Fitchburg, WI, USA

Hails from United States
Thumbs up Re: Best pastel pencil sharpener?

Yea, Gary! Let us know when you get it ready for sale!

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2009, 01:13 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from United Kingdom

I'll be watching too. Sounds too good to miss!
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2009, 11:24 PM
Lord of the Arts
Northampton, England

A little update on my sharpener. I was told today that the clever guys in the machine shop are progressing well with their V2 attempt at creating it and I should see their results soon. However, I had a Eureka moment this morning and realised a far better way of achieving the same thing which should drive down costs considerably, make manufacturing far easier and allow for further development and a wider range of shaping possibilities. I also have a 2nd engineering company looking at it as well so hopefully I will have something to show and offer for critique for those interested very soon. My home made experiments work great but standardising and explaining to non artists is proving more difficult than I expected.
I also have a question. We can get pencil extenders and clutch pencils to hold various leads for doing graphite work but does such a thing exist for pastels? If we had a tool like a clutch pencil for using with the smaller square hard pastels, i.e. NuPastel, Faber-Castell, Conte, Cretacolour, Manet etc then we actually would have no use for pencils at all and the associated breaking and sharpening problems. I don't believe we would wish to use the same method for our softies although my tool will be able to mould them to useful edges without excessive wastage. Comments, solutions and suggestions please
Best wishes
Gary

“It’s never too late to be who you might have been. —George Eliot aka Mary Ann Evans
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2009, 08:36 AM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Gary, you're talking freely about this invention. You have registered it with the Patent authorities, right? If not, do so before someone snatches it up.

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Lord of the Arts
Northampton, England

Hi Charlie, thanks for the reminder, my drawings and principles are safe and dated from some time ago. It would be nice if someone were snatch up my idea of a mechanical/clutch pencil for hard pastel sticks though
Gary

“It’s never too late to be who you might have been. —George Eliot aka Mary Ann Evans
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Re: Gary's question on Pastel Holders

See: http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discou...el-Holders.htm

Not pushing Jerry's but this link takes you to the item I think you are talking about.

Steve
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Lord of the Arts
Northampton, England

Hi Steve, thank you for the link. At that price it would be nice to have something that resembles a pencil wouldn't it? Not wishing to be negative but part of the joy of a pencil is to be able to hold it well back and get nice broad sweeping curves etc. These holders are useful for using up those last bits of pastel sticks but at that price I would save my cash for replacement sticks instead. I recently purchased some really fine detail brushes that have nice chunky handles and something like those would be far more user friendly. As I am not an engineer it may well be that the principles used in mechanical pencils would not allow for a thicker core such as a pastel which is why they don't exist. It could also be that the pencil industry have too much to lose for a product like that to be available. I can think of a good few designs of other consumer goods that keep a servicing and support industry employed through deliberate design. I own close to 300 pastel pencils and some of the most useful ones for final details are the softer ones and I expect to be able to use only 30% of them after breakages which has to be good for sales.
Gary

#29   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Carol Conrad,Crossville, TN

Hails from United States

Acting on Mary Ann Pals' recommendation I ordered a Creative Mark multi-point pencil sharpener from ASW. It came today and I have to say I'm thrilled with it. Within 20 minutes of receiving it I had sharpened about 50 Pastel pencils to a wonderful point. They look just like they did when they were new!! As a bonus I also discovered that it will also sharpen Nupastels to a point.

Of the 50 I sharpened only 3 broke off and it was relatively easy to dislodge the broken piece and put the pencil back in to be re-sharpened.

I know it's early days, but I am ecstatic about this piece of equipment.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2009, 01:52 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Gary, I'll be interested to see your invention when it's available. Currently I use little red All-Art pencil sharpeners from General's, which I replace when they get dull.

On grinder-type pencil sharpeners using them on colored pencils or even soft graphite pencils, I have to run a normal no. 2 pencil through it a couple of times after a half dozen to a dozen pencils, to clean the crud out of the grinders. They stay sharp if you do that.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting