WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2009, 05:23 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden
Re: what a difference a paper makes/beginner

Hi Sunface, welcome!

Me too, I've painted one painting on watercolour paper... It is OK if you cover the paper with a pastel primer, though. And choose one of the smooth wc papers, not the very grainy one I tried...

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2009, 05:36 PM
A Local Legend
Severn, MD

Hails from United States

I love putting a watercolor underpainting down on wc paper and then coating it with clear gesso, and continuing with the pastels, or coating as Charlie says with a primer. I like a lot of texture so that makes a difference also. Also I tone the paper if not doing an underpainting, but some do like to paint on the white surface. It is trial and error to find what you like.

Welcome Sunface!

Tres
"We derive more benefit from having our faults pointed out by our enemies than from hearing the opinions of friends." (Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519)
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Lord of the Arts
DFW, Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa

Welcome Sunface!

Tres

Thank you!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Enthusiast
halifax,canada

Hails from Canada

sunface in bill creevy's book he uses watercolor paper. thank you for bringing this up. i did not know what to do with this paper and i have lots in my cupboard. ginger
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2009, 01:03 AM
Lord of the Arts
DFW, Texas

Hails from United States

Yesterday, I was at Hobby Lobby yesterday and I saw this art board. It comes in many different finishes and the display said is suitable for pastels. Pretty cool because is like paper already glued to a board. The one that had the cotton finished specially grab my attention. I did not purchase one though.Has anyone seen and or try these boards?
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2009, 06:50 AM
A Local Legend
Severn, MD

Hails from United States

Hi Sunface,
do you remember the name? There are a lot of boards out there, it could be one of many.
"We derive more benefit from having our faults pointed out by our enemies than from hearing the opinions of friends." (Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519)
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2009, 12:27 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Great thread Ginger....thanks. The 1st pear is my favorite. Derek
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Lord of the Arts
DFW, Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa
Hi Sunface,
do you remember the name? There are a lot of boards out there, it could be one of many.

Not really, I think they were Canson, but I will double check next time I go. They come in linen, bristol, vellum, and other textures.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2009, 02:27 PM
New Jersey

Hi Ginger,

I like pics 1 and 4 best.

I have tried a number of sanded surfaces and bunch of different "textured" papers. Currently I am happy with good 'ol Canson Mi-Tientes. I have only used pastels for a couple months, and while the sanded surfaces seem to provide a nice tooth with much greater layering potential, the MT paper works great for my current style - firm application minimal to no blending.

Ken
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Enthusiast
halifax,canada

Hails from Canada

ken! good for you to be able to use canson. i hope to revisit it when i get a handle on pastels! there are great color choices for this paper. i have seen some nice work done on it... just not mine! ha! the paper did not take many layers and as i stated over blended to a mess. i hope to see your work! ginger
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Immortalized
Dublin

Hails from Ireland

Great thread Ginger - thanks.

I'm still finding my way through different papers and pastels - this is great information from everyone.

"Every production of an artist should be the expression of an adventure of his soul". W. Somerset Maugham.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Nampa, ID

Hails from United States

Great thread Ginger. I am also learning different kinds of paper to use with pastels and glad to see this thread.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Lord of the Arts
Virginia

Hails from United States

Very successful experiment, indeed.

I began on Canson with very inexpensive and hard Yarkas. I didn't have the frustration you had, but I did use the "wrong" side of the Canson and the hardness of the Yarkas made them easy to control. I progressed to Colorfix, then Wallis, which I preferred and used for several years. I'm less crazy about the Belgian Mist, especially the current browner version. I then progressed to making my own surfaces and to UArt.

Need to try the PastelMat, but I do not like the colors or strange sizes of the two pads they offer at Dakota and am not interested in five large sheets of an unknown as the alternative. Does anyone know a better way to get reasonable-sized and -numbered white PastelMat?

Several years ago, I shifted from Yarka to softer brands, got stuck with going too soft all the time (I can be spontaneous in my loose style and heavy-handed), so I've gone back to harder ones like Van Gogh and Girault, plus am waiting for a Cretacolor for the holidays. In this instance, I have "gone back" to the harder pastels like I started with.

It is absolutely lovely how many choices pastelists have these days. I am grateful to those who came before us.

Bonnie Ferguson Butler [Art : Facebook]
Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. (Pablo Picasso)

Last edited by Potoma : 12-19-2009 at 03:56 PM.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2009, 04:58 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorix
My 'verdict' is that Canson, Ingres, Tiziano etc is not best for beginners. And the beauty with most of the expensive sanded and gritty papers is that you can re-use them. Just brush off the old painting and do a new one on top. In the long run, I bet that is cheaper.

Charlie

Exactly! I've been saying this for years to newbies - the learning of a new medium is struggle enough, but to be using a paper unsuitable for beginners will set them back, and some of them will even give up and think pastels are not for them!

I'm so glad you tried this experiment -
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2009, 05:28 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

That's fascinating to me. I didn't start using sanded papers till I got active on WC a couple of years ago, now I love them. Especially Colourfix but also the PastelMat and if I want to get very layered, Wallis. Colourfix has 20 colors though, so I don't miss the Canson Mi-Tientes as much.

Still, I enjoy sketching on it with hard pastels. It's just different, the difference between sketching and painting. I think Kathryn and Charlie are right, that after learning to use sanded papers I got better at it and handle the Canson better.

SunFace, just to add to the chorus, I use clear Colourfix primer if I'm going to use pastel over a watercolor underpainting on watercolor paper. I've never tried pasteling on watercolor paper without it and don't think that would work as well.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting