WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Charming South

Hails from United States
Re: Sennelier

Deborah, thanks. I was beginning to think I was the only one with the rock-hard Senneliers. Yeah, I tried the sanding trick too to no avail. I works with other pastels with a little hard spot, though usually turning the pastel will also work. I doubt if I will ever get to the point of needing giant Senneliers, and I am too burned by the brand to trust them in any form.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2009, 10:24 PM
Lord of the Arts
Northampton, England

Hails from United Kingdom

Same thing happened to me too, shame as the colour selection appears to be good. I bought a couple of sets a while back and had to throw most away and of what is left they're very variable in texture with some even managing to scratch fisher paper! I do find it quite incredible that as manufacturers of such superb surfaces as La Carte that their sticks are so renowned as being problematic.
Gary

“It’s never too late to be who you might have been. —George Eliot aka Mary Ann Evans
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2009, 01:35 AM
Veteran Member
WV

Hails from United States

Interesting thread.
I bought a number a while back because I don't have a lot of money and found them quite affordable. I liked the first few I bought to try, so I ended up with more. Some colors (darker ones in my case) are harder than others but I've not experienced the crumbling issue. As Charlie said, I assumed this was due to the pigment so I didn't mind. One broke, but it stuck back together quite easily.

Perhaps I'm just a scrounger, but I don't mind their flaws so much. This is a medium I've come to enjoy... I'll happily work in it using whatever I have available... except for certain kinds of really cheap pastels: those things are enough to turn someone off the medium forever.

FYI, I am also the sort of guy who happily prefers the rough side of Mi-tientes under pretty much all circumstances. Perhaps I'm just an oddball.

Last edited by Sam Harrison : 09-25-2009 at 01:44 AM.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2009, 01:42 AM
Veteran Member

GADS! I am soo glad this topic came up, I was about to replace my dwindling ancient Grumbacher set with Sennelier. The color ranges looked very similar to the old stuff. I have had enough of crumbling with the antiques to not want to go through THAT anymore.
Life is short, back AWAY from the computer, get off yer butt and go PAINT!
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2009, 07:12 AM
A Local Legend
Severn, MD

Hails from United States

New formula? Try new marketing, lol...
If you got em already, use as you can, but I wouldn't spend a lot of cash on replacing them...too many other luscious brands that won't give you problems.
"We derive more benefit from having our faults pointed out by our enemies than from hearing the opinions of friends." (Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519)
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2009, 07:56 AM
A Local Legend

Tress just summed up where you should go with Senni's - even some of the 'Grande' sticks are hard as rocks! I don't know where they are coming from? - some of the sticks are super soft and others rock hard and crumbling is a problem, even with the 'new marketing' ones!
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Enthusiast
Fitchburg, WI, USA

Hails from United States
Smile Re: Sennelier

I'm with Deborah on the Senne's!
I have some, they sort of sit there in my palette boxes and look "pretty", but every time I pick one up it crumbles a little!
The colors are so pure looking and lovely, but I only risk using them as final light touch-ups. ...and I think I have a fairly "light touch" with pastels!

Funny thing, they are my absolute fav brand in oil pastels...yummy, smooth, buttery texture just life a lipstick!

I have the half stick kind in soft pastels, so I did not have the paper issure.
Yes, I'm glad I have them, but I just don't reach for them. And I'll probably not replace them with they go off to pastel dustland!
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2009, 08:34 PM
A Local Legend
Denver Colorado

Hails from United States

I'll stick to my Schminckes, Ludwigs and Unisons. I dislike the Senns mostly because some of them have a grit to them and scratch my unsanded papers.

Take care, Be well, Be safe http://www.scottleckrone.com
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2009, 09:14 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

I don't understand why the manufacturer is not paying attention to this flaw in their product - we've complained about it for years it seems and nothing seems to change.

I'll stick with my favs Mount Vision, Ludwigs, Great Americans and, yes, my old Grumbachers.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2009, 09:52 PM
A Local Legend
southeast Wyoming

Hails from United States

I really like their smoothness and colors.... but I can not spend the money to have them crumble away. So I keep a few really light, highlight colors, and just keep the wrappers on and use them this way.

Come join us in the Southwest/Western forum
My Website
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2009, 10:27 PM
Lord of the Arts
Finland

Hails from Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn Wilson
I don't understand why the manufacturer is not paying attention to this flaw in their product - we've complained about it for years it seems and nothing seems to change.

One reason is i think are we sure resellers store products correctly ? i mean i seeded sometimes wrongly stored art and office products. marker pens in direct sunlight and i think in wrong position etc. and cardboard selled wrong way etc. and brushes selled other material than these actually are. and books also wrong way i mean sunlight and placed not good way i we want book last long and uggly placed price labels what its impossible remove without damaging book.

But if problem is Sennelier product i actually i going test only Schincke (and w&n and talens...) not Sennliers. I see many nice hues at least in oil pastels.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2009, 05:27 AM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

I'm puzzled, truly, at the diverging experiences. I only have about 30 Senns. (The art supply addict has *only* 30... :-) No problems with them, they are super on top of Rembrandts. And those sticks had travelled, before reaching me. So it can't be transport, either.
On the other hand, I have a handful of Rembrandts that crumble when painting with them, so you end up with a wee bit of crumbs between your fingers while the rest is cascading down the painting into the tray.

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2009, 07:32 AM
A Local Legend

Kat

you brought a smile to my face when you referred to the 'old' Grumbachers - now why doesn't someone reinstitute their formula? - they were really nice soft pastels that didn't scratch the paper, didn't crumble and didn't have those 'stupid' papers! Square shape and a pleasure to work with - I still have a small amount and utilize them sparingly! And yes, I know they are rebranded but not the same good old 'Grumbacher'

I also grew up with Grumbacher 'Hypar' acrylic, which IMHO, was a beautiful product - it's a shame that these companies get taken over, their products reformulated so some CEO gets a big fat bonus and we get the short end of the stick! That's progress?

'blue....'
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2009, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Charming South

Hails from United States

Charlie, I'll admit that there are some really nice Senneliers in a box, but the remainder are unusable. That doubles or triples the cost per stick. The boxes are well cushioned and wrapped in plastic. It's not worth the trouble to me when I've never had a problem with Schmincke or Great American pastels.

I've never had a problem with the Rembrandts, except maybe one stick that was too hard, and I have lots of Rembrandts that vary in age. I only have so many because I couldn't pass up some good sales. I use them to block in color, so I don't use them as much as some might.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Myrtle Creek, OR

Hails from United States

I've had the crumbling problem too, but not with every stick. There are some Sennelier dark tones that can't be found in any other brand so I depend on them regularly. Fortunately, the darks seem to be holding up fairly well, only a few random breaks when peeling the paper.

The word I've heard from a trusted source is that there is something to the formula story.

Phil