WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Enthusiast
Middle of NC

Hails from United States
Re: Dick Blick

I had guessed the DR too after hearing the names and comparing them on the Dakota site. Interestingly, I was looking at the DR and wondering how they were and if I should try them out. You don't hear about many people using them. Next time I order from DB I will have to get some. I have some Rembrandts and Art Spectrums. Love the Art Spectrums, hate the Rembrandts mainly because the Rembrandts are sooo sheer and because they are not lightfast, at least the pinks/purples are not. I had them sitting out and those pretty much bleached out to a darker shade of white! Luckily I don't have that many. I have also been thinking of trying girault as they are supposed to be so good, hard, but creamy. I was just looking for something that I could use in the beginning of the painting instead of the softies that tend to fill the tooth if i use too heavy of a touch. i love Mount Visions and would compare them to Unison's without the heavy metals in them. Plus they are larger and cheaper than the Unisons! Don't get me wrong, I do love unison's and how they behave and how much pigment is in each stick, but I think the MV's are comparable IMHO. For real softies I prefer Great American's and Schminke's. I have a small half stick set of Senn's and am not impressed with them.

Sara
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Charming South

Hails from United States

My sample arrived today!

The postman had kindly jammed it into the letter slot in my door along with other mail, so when I saw the padded envelope squeezed in with the other mail, I didn't think the pastel would make it through in one piece. Ha! It did!

Of course, I knifed off about 1/3 and unwrapped it. So much for it making it through in one piece.

It's their Cadmium Red Hue 4. A very nice, usable red.

Thank you, Dick Blick
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2009, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Jenny,
Glad we could send you a sample & that it arrived intact.

Happy Painting!
Kristal
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2009, 06:50 PM
Resting in Peace
in a little village by the sea in the east

Hails from Canada

My new set of 90 Blick Artists Pastels arrived Monday. Shipping (to Canada) was delayed because of a minor mixup and they arrived in excellent condition with no breakage.

I first noticed the well chosen selection of nice rich colours and varied neutrals for landscapes, portraits and florals. They're marked as made in England and I tried them on Uart and Wallis papers. They feel firm in the hand but go on the paper smoothly.

I find them softer with better coverage and less chalky than Rembrandts. As expected, they were not as creamy nor the colours as rich as Unisons but fall about midway between Unisons and Rembrandts in most aspects. The Blick Artists Pastels are very consistent across the range with only two (dark Prussian Blue and one of the greens) that are a bit harder than the rest. However, these two were only of the same hardness as the same colours in my Rembrandts.

The Blick pastels layer very well with the light colours easily covering the darkest. Softer pastels, such as Unison, Ludwig and Great Americans, layer over them well picking up very little of the colour underneath. I sprayed them with workable fixative and the colour change was minimal.

Peggy, in my opinion, the Blick Artists Pastels would be excellent for the serious novice or student as they're wonderful value for the money. They're also good for the first or middle layers and for a second sketching set for the more experienced. By the way, the paper labels are very easy to peel off.

The cardboard box is fairly solid but the lift-out tray is rather flimsy. I would also like to see the lightfastness ratings printed on each pastel.

Hopefully, they will expand the range of colours as I can see myself using these pastels a lot.

I hope this helps answer any questions you all might have...

_____________________________Wendell
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Charming South

Hails from United States

Wendell, I am glad your set finally arrived and that you are happy with your new pastels. Thanks for the update and info.

Yesterday, I was doing the first layer of a painting with Rembrandts on paper, then reached for one of the Dick Blick pastels. So much softer and smoother! I will agree with you on placing the Dick Blick pastels between Rembrandt and Unison for softness.

Enjoy your new pastels!
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2009, 11:27 PM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States

I'm so excited!! I'm headed to the Columbus Dick Blick either tomorrow or Monday!! YAY!! Can't wait! I hope they are open on Monday, just in case I don't make it until then... it's Columbus Day.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2009, 12:59 PM

Paula - I was curious what your feedback is assuming you got the Blick set.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2009, 01:37 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

They didn't have any Blick pastels. As a matter of fact, the sales people didn't know anything about the new line of pastels by Dick Blick. Everything I went there for they didn't have AND every time I asked, they just didn't seem interested in helping me so I left. It was not a good experience.

I do love ordering from them online.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2009, 01:40 PM

That's too bad. When you make the time and effort to go to a store and pick something up it is disappointing when they don't carry an item.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Paula,
On behalf of the Columbus store location, I want to apologies for the service you received! We're sorry to hear of your experience. Unfortunately, our retail stores do not carry the same inventory as what we offer online or what is in our catalogs. It's my understanding not all of our store locations will be offering our new Blick Artists' Soft Pastels, which may be, in part, why they weren't versed with the product line. Please feel welcome to contact us in Product Information, if you need further product support. We're happy to help you! Additionally, you may wish to check out our new shipping rates.

Kristal
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2009, 07:32 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Thank you Kristal! I appreciate your concern and apologies very much. I will continue to purchase through your fabulously stocked online store!!
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Paula,
We look forward to doing further business with you! I forgot to mention, feel welcome to contact us, if you would like a printed color chart on our pastels. We're happy to send it to you.

Kristal
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Paula,
We look forward to doing further business with you! I forgot to mention, feel welcome to contact us, if you would like a printed color chart on our pastels. We're happy to send it to you.

Kristal
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Southern Utah

Hails from United States

does the color chart have lightfastness ratings?
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2009, 07:37 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blick Art Materials
Thanks Paula,

Kristal

I would love that!! I'll contact you guys from your website. Thank you so much!