WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2009, 04:55 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: How many soft pastels are minium usefull for landscapes and flowers ?

Those do look quite interesting! They seem to be good ones. Can't wait to see what you do when you add more to your range.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Lord of the Arts
Finland

Hails from Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsloan2
Those do look quite interesting! They seem to be good ones. Can't wait to see what you do when you add more to your range.

Soon i can i at least buy 15 or maybe even 30 for test.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2009, 03:44 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Here's what I teach my students. You need a minimum of 60 sticks. I base this on my split-primary oil palette, and here's how I figure it:

- You need 6 colors (the ever-popular ROY G. BV)
- You need a warm and a cool version of each
- And you need 5 steps in value of each

All this multiplies out to 60 sticks.

You can do a certain amount of blending to get Phil's neutrals, but yes, you do have to work at it. But it does accomplish the goal.

For convenience, I include a number of neutrals - browns and greys - to help out. Lately, for example, I'm finding greys very useful. We all know the concept of mixing complements to get a grey, but with pastel, that doesn't work so well. You get some unexpected results, based mostly on what pigments the manufacturer used in his mix. So, I use greys to neutralize the brighter colors. Works great for Canadian Maritimes scenery!

I have 200 sticks in my box. I went through the Polychromos and Mount Vision inventories to develop a kit based on my 60 colors plus the neutrals.

By the way, my 14-stick Extreme Limited Pastel Palette is really fun to work with! It's amazing what you can accomplish.

Here are two little pieces based on my 200 piece kit, both 5x7:

#34   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Lord of the Arts
Finland

Hails from Finland

Actually im very sure with 15 or 30 i can see if medium is good to me i know its limited making works (but i dont actually make realstic style at all). but i think this makes easier pastel brand i thinked uses mainly single pigment colours makes easier make mixes than this almost all hues are 3 pigments at least. and i dont somehow want test Talens Rembrants what most users there uses. main reason in this brand what i tihnk there is more nicer flower hues becouse some strong violets/purples look with white somehow too synthetic versus ultramarine pink etc. and i think how hard pastel is tell something also how good its mixing.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Myrtle Creek, OR

Hails from United States

Nice, Michael!!

Phil
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2009, 05:06 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

I like those, Michael! The way you arrange your basic palette is very cool. It would rock to set it up like that. Almost sounds like my ideal chromatic set -- with the shades and tints added two steps up and down so that there's plenty of value changes, it'd be great.

One of my oil pastels sets is organized like that with five values each of 20 pigments, it's the Holbein set. A soft pastels set of 100 arranged like that would be very cool. I don't see that often though except for Terry Ludwig's Maggie Price Basic Values, which is why I'm so keen to get that set someday.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2009, 04:38 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Thanks, Phil! Robert, I've not seen Maggie's Basic Values set, but it sounds like it's based on an idea similar to mine.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Lord of the Arts
Finland

Hails from Finland

I thinked again only test with 8 colours (extrelemely limited i know) style is 2 of each yellow,red,blue (warm and cool version form all) and black and white. big purchases are silly when you dont know its media suitable to you. and even these colours i think i can make some modern works.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2009, 05:51 AM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

JPQ, sound thinking! For just a test, this will get you far. Will take some work to get the values you want, but definitely do-able.

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Lord of the Arts
Finland

Hails from Finland

Warm and opaque yellow (without cadmium) comes later but even these 7 what i have i can made nice looking colours even nice orange. odd becouse my second yellow is more greenish.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2009, 08:07 PM
Enthusiast
Middle of NC

Hails from United States

The 60 1/2 stick set from Great American is similar in a lot of ways to the Maggie Price basic values set from Terry Ludwig. I have both sets. Robert if you have never tried Great American's. I would suggest getting that one at some point. I like both sets for different reasons. Of course the creaminess of the GA's is wonderful and I love the cigar box it comes in. just throw a rubber band around it and it is ready to go. The TL basic values set is nice because of how the sticks are arranged in value and the colors are absolutely beautiful. You also do get that one great dark violet that everyone likes in that set plus some nice lights. Both sets are great sets on their own. Add a gray set and you are pretty much ready to go!

Sara
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Lord of the Arts
Finland

Hails from Finland

this is correct (i dont want new thread) black used darkening (if complent colours is not available) and grey used making colours less saturated (green -> grey green etc)and white for lightening (i mean red to light red etc) ?
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2009, 05:29 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Terve! Or more modern, Moi!

Yes, that is right.

But all of black, grey, and white, makes colour more dull (less vibrant). According to how our brains see it, yellow is better for representing light than white is. White cools -- and dulls -- a colour, as well as lightening it. A few colours change character so much that they get new names (well, depending on language, of course). So a red with lots of white is often called pink, and not light red (except in Finnish). Oranges/Peaches, Reds/Pinks, and Rose or Magenta/cool Pinks change most when white is added.

Ah, more than you wanted to know.

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Lord of the Arts
Finland

Hails from Finland

To me pink is always cool light red,light red can be cool or warm. and some books also i think defines pink something like this.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Lord of the Arts
Finland

Hails from Finland

What are good basic greens to me in schincke stuff (for landscape and flowers) ? i think 2 greens with 3 values.(pure,darker and 2nd lightest maybe). i allredy have chromium oxide green soft pastel (tint 4) & form w&n phtalo green (tint 4 and tint 1) if you dont know in w&n tint 4 is pure and tint 1 = llightest.
and some rembrands but these three dont work well mixes maybe. i know cool and warm greens. why i ask about schincke can get them only mail order and i love their softness.