WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2020, 04:32 PM
Seattle

Hails from United States
Re: Photos of pastel collections

Wow, beautiful! I wish Sennelier would do something like that themselves. How hard would it be to print some colors on the inside of the lid? A lot easier than you doing it by hand, I reckon.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2020, 04:54 AM
Swanton, Vermont US

Hails from United States

Tracy, I enjoyed your park story very much -- and I understand your OCD approach to art materials -- I am that way with my 18 half pan set of Sennelier watercolors -- I never put the tin away messy.

And, Tracy, I watched a video of the Sennelier Artistic Director using pastels on the seaside and he used a cloth (I think it was what they call microfiber) -- it cleaned his fingers pretty good. I happened to have one and tried it -- did a really good job -- could quickly get many swipes over different colors with the same finger after digging the finger into the cloth a couple of times.

I had bought a pkg of 3 in a dollar store for a dollar to wipe my WC brushes on --

Last edited by clairmilanovich : 01-04-2020 at 05:28 AM.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2020, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Clair, your Senneliers are beautiful! I was going to get a set of them when I started, but I made the trip to Dakota and fell in love with a (sale priced) half stick set of Great Americans. I like to make my own little charts too for my Mount Visions. I know that Terry Ludwig and GA both include little color charts - sure seems like that would be nice for all the manufacturers to do, especially for the larger sets!

I'll have to try that with the towels. I've been using Glove in a Bottle and find that if I have a very generous coating of that on first, I can wipe my fingers pretty clean easily when working. And - hahahahaha - you made me laugh about the watercolor palette - I'm the same way! I don't know why it didn't really hit me before that it's not just the pastels I'm persnickety about. On the wc front the saying is that you're a tonalist if you never clean your palette and a colorist if you (almost) always do. I guess we know where we stand, right? ;-)

It's a rainy morning here and I'm making a spur of the moment choice to head North - quick stop at Dakota (because it would be unthinkable to drive through Mount Vernon without stopping!) and then up along the Skagit River to check out the bald eagle migration (camera ready to go). They'll all already be fed and just sitting around in the trees going this late but oh well.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2020, 04:38 PM
Swanton, Vermont US

Hails from United States

QUOTE [ On the wc front the saying is that you're a tonalist if you never clean your palette and a colorist if you (almost) always do.]

Thanks for that Tra y -- never heard that one before !~
I'm Def. a colorist. Two of my small recent works are titled Venetian Red and Venetian Red II

And, please -- What is Dakota??
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2020, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member

Ooo, Claire! Dakota Art Pastels - https://www.dakotapastels.com/. They are a dedicated pastel supplies (supports, pastels, tools, boxes, etc.) company based in Mount Vernon, Washington. Their warehouse location is about 2 hours North of me and they also teach a ton of workshops there. The warehouse is open to the public (only 9-1 on Saturdays so I have to get my lazy behind out of bed and hit the road to have plenty of browsing time lol).

When you walk in the door, there are general art supplies sold in a small retail area and I looked around that first time and thought "I drove 2 hours for THIS?!" Then the gal came out to help me, I said uh, I came to look at pastels, and she said oh, you want to come back HERE. "Here" was the whole warehouse where they do fulfillment and they are happy to let people shop right from the warehouse shelves, look at all the pastel colors, etc. They have a big samples table where you can test every brand they carry and they also have a "broken" table of things that are heavily discounted.

Dakota is not always the cheapest, but I watch for sales and because I'm lucky enough to be fairly close, I like to go to the warehouse (ALWAYS dangerous to the budget!!!). The people that work there are super helpful and very knowledgeable - I think every one of them works in pastels as well.

I think a lot of people come from around the world there for some of the workshops. It's about 90 minutes North of Seattle (that would be 1.5 - ?! hours depending on time of day and traffic ;-)

Since Richard started this for storage, I should mention that I did look at the new Neef storage boxes that Dakota has on their site. They're nice, but....there's no easy way to remove the layers (2 layers for the box storing 60 and 3 layers for the box storing 90). they need tabs of some sort on the ends to easily lift the layers out. The gal working on Saturday agreed and we were checking out the box and talking about it. For the cost of those, I will stick with my cheapie Sterilite boxes from walmart with cushion foam for now. Kind of hoping Neef will make a few mods. I can think of things to do to Magyver-fix the box, but for the price, I'm not quite up to it.

Oh, and I also found out recently on a trip there why the Terry Ludwigs are not sold open stock any more - the TL company doesn't want to have to put labels on each pastel, and they don't want wrong pastels to get shipped out for individual orders. I guess I can understand that, especially for the darks because I can't tell the difference visually among many (most!) of my intense darks.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2020, 08:20 AM
Macon, GA

Hails from United States

Hello, All.... I have been looking around for a storage idea for my pastel stock ever since I first came upon this thread. I saw someone on youtube demo how she used some small stackable PRYM boxes and thought it a good idea. I was unable to locate that brand, but I found the Sterlite stackables and, at Michaels, the Snapware. The Snapware was recently on sale, so I purchased three sets of four plastic boxes. Each clear box measures about 6.5" x 9" and they can be stacked with snaps on each end. Now to find some foam to line the bottoms.... and set a day to just clean and sort my pastels.... This will be for my at-home stock. Hopefully, I can learn to select the group of colors I want to use when beginning a painting and then return them all to storage when I have finished. I do plan to keep extra pieces in a Jackson Arts box that I got for plein air... so I will have a set to work with on the go. I would love to have a metal chest like the one Richard has for all his various colors, but I simply have no room for something that large. Perhaps when I win the lottery I will be able to build me a studio, complete with LOTS of storage. Oh, but first I have to buy a ticket!

I am so enjoying this thread! Best to all!
Mike
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2020, 01:46 PM
Seattle

Hails from United States

Sounds like those Snapware boxes are a good way to go. You can get some thin foam at office supply stores that they use for shipping. It comes in sheets or rolls, and is ideal for lining your boxes. I have a thing about keeping my pastels away from most plastics though, just for static electricity. You may find those plastic boxes will attract a lot of dust, but maybe not. I prefer to store them in wood, but that's just me. There is something about the classical appeal to me, it always reminds me of happy days at art school as well as the old masters. I found some inexpensive very thin carpet at the hardware box store, and use that to line my shelves. I know the drawers are made from metal, but if you look close the edges and the bottoms are all wood. I cut small pieces of foam core board and used a hot glue gun to put them in there to separate the colors. It just seems to be ideal for my use, even though I take up half the spare bedroom for my studio in our house right now. It's a little cramped, but all I really need is my easel and my storage shelves. I put it on castors so I could roll it out of the way when not in use. Thanks for sharing all the comments everyone! Sure would like to see a few more pictures....
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2020, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

Mike, I think you have the same sterilite containers that I use! I got those and the cushion foam at Walmart. My foam is a basic polyurethan foam and I think it's 3/4 or else 1" seat cushion foam. A set of 4 cushions (in the craft area at Walmart) was about $10 and I cut them - I was able to line 3 boxes with each cushion.

Dakota has replacement memory foam if you want to go that route, but it gets more expensive (https://www.dakotapastels.com/produc...ement-Box-Foam) I tried to find quarter or half inch sheets of memory foam online but didn't have much luck there. I figured my storage boxes weren't going to get moved around much so I can live with the lower quality foam in them.

Richard, I like the foam core and hot glue idea! And interesting about the possible static thing. My biggest concern with my art supplies is keeping the cat hair away (as much as possible). I'll never be 100% successful - last night Willow curled up on a corner of the kitchen table to watch me pastel paint (she is a kind critic lol).
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2020, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Central Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Hello all
I'm finally getting around to posting my pastel photos. They have been moved around a little since the photos were taken but nothing new added for a while. I am unable to resize photos until I convince the new pc that it would really like a copy of photoshop....

Below photo. I have a couple more of these half sized jewelry display trays to continue the with the greens. I have them in a drawer of my flat file. (Check out old post with the discussion on these).

I bought the girault box on eBay a little over a year ago, I reorganized it since, it is very close to a complete set. Funny, the colors that were low or missing are ones I had bought years before. The wood box is way to bulky and heavy for travel.

Some of my unisons.

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2020, 10:42 AM
Seattle

Hails from United States

BEAUTIFUL! So neat and well organized, much better than mine. You are an inspiration! What kind of cabinet is this? Looks similar to the one I have. Thanks for sharing!
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2020, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member

Sharen, those complete sets are mind-bogglingly delicious!
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2020, 08:27 AM
Macon, GA

Hails from United States

A feast for the eyes, Sharen! Please DO tell us what kind of cabinet that is. The drawers appear to be less wide than the cabinet Richard uses, and that would make a huge difference for me. So well organized, too. This has been such an interesting thread... and makes me so envious of the huge collections of pastels so many have.
Mike
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2020, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Central Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

The cabinet is a 34"x42", 12 drawer flat file. It's big. I got it from my last job at a printer when they finally went all digital. I wish it was in 2 sections, as is, we had to do the door trim AFTER we put the cabinet in my studio. Too big and yet still completely full of paper and old artwork.

I have seen several small vintage flat drawered tool chests on eBay, Craig's list etc, that I think would work great for storage.

Not quite a full set of unison. But I do have several discontinued sets like the special colors, Orange, johns summer set. They quit a few of my favorite colors. Even after several years of having them I still haven't been able to break them and add to the rest of my stock. I bought most of these on sale from Jackson's , when the pound was low, with a rebate (years ago). They ended up being 1.70$ a stick. I couldn't do that now.

The girault set had some of the numbers worn off so I can't tell which colors are missing from a full set. I'm not a big fan of their color range (I like mount vision and unison much better). it showed up on eBay shortly after a 'if i hit the lottery' discussion. I don't do portraits which I this set is geared toward, but I did want more flesh tones in a small stick format for the few figures I add to landscapes.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2020, 10:08 AM
Macon, GA

Hails from United States

Thanks for sharing the info, Sharen. A flat file seems like the ideal solution.... or a tool chest with multiple drawers.... but they all seem to be so huge. I, too, watch for deals on Ebay and Craigslist, but the flat files I have found are usually too far away and they are "local pickup only." But I'm in no rush.... and perhaps one day I will "win the lottery" and luck up on just the perfect solution. Happy painting!
Mike
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2020, 09:02 PM
A Local Legend
southeast Wyoming

Hails from United States

Always fun to see how others do things.

I finally got around to taking a few photos of my setup.

I paint primarily on my handmade wall easel. It works for basically anything up to 3 ft x 3ft, oil painting, pastel, whatever.

I made some pastel trays out of scrap lumber which holds a full set of Mount Vision, both Ludwig darks sets, and Ludwig portrait set. These trays are stack-able, so it is easy to make room on my counter for other tasks. My other pastels I keep separated so I know where to find them and keep track of things easier. I have a couple other sets not show that I use for plein air.

The important thing for me is I have most everything within a short reach...easy to get to....

Come join us in the Southwest/Western forum
My art blog