WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Illustration
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2020, 09:43 PM

Some "Fantasic Beasts" paintings

I guess I tend to think of them as illustrations (since I was working from the books only) and painted them before any of the movies came out. So some details will differ. All are acrylic on gessoed paper. My aim was to portray them as if a wildlife artist like Robert Bateman was painting them.

This one is "Buckbeak" and painted in 2000-ish (after the book, Prisoner of Azkaban came out), 12"x16". My thought was for every large, charismatic creature I would paint one of the small, weirder ones.

This one is the "Golden Snidget," approximately 7"x10." Apparently they used to use a live bird in Quidditch.

This is the "Thestral," approximately 9"x12." Painted after the Order of the Phoenix book came out. So it's a bit more horse-like than the movie shows it.

This is the "Ashwinder," approximately 8 1/2"x11." Never leave your magical fire unattended. For some reason I couldn't seem to get a decent photo of the piece, it looks better in reality. Might have something to do with the paper having more texture than the others and the fact I was using some glazes to get an ashy, hazy look the the embers.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2020, 05:24 PM

Re: Some "Fantasic Beasts" paintings

These are amazing - great detail and wildly imaginative.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2020, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member
W Ontario

Hails from Canada

Actually lots of these creatures came from haroldry creatures. The first one is a hippogryph, the second one not sure, the third looks like a hippodragon and the last one probably an original story idea. All very well done and well for its usage.

The idea of the hippogryph is very ironic since most gryphons are said to eat horses as their main meal. 🙂
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2020, 12:32 PM
Immortalized
Jacksonville, Florida

Very nice and the depth found in each one is amazing.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2020, 02:35 PM

These are “fantastic” in every sense of the word!