WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2003, 10:54 PM
East Coast Canada

Hails from Canada
First Plein Aires

in 30 years!
The first three are oil pastel and took an hour each. The fourth is soft pastel and took 20 minutes.
They are not very good. It's difficult to get sunny highlights over darks in o.p. unless you leave it overnight to harden a bit, and the soft pastel is pretty wild, but......I think I'm hooked!

I've been lurking in here for a while, admiring all your great stuff. Now that the weather is better and I have a bit of time I want to do as much plein aire as I can.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2003, 02:29 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United Kingdom
In my humble opinion, for what it's worth, your oil pastels display a good understanding of the medium. One of them is exceptionally good.........

And, as these are your first plein airs, look at it this way :

The only way is up. [i.e.] You can only get better.....

Thanks for sharing them.

andy.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2003, 07:27 AM
A Local Legend
Maine

Hails from United States
I think for first plein airs they are super! In fact for any plein air paintings they are not bad at all. I like the soft pastel one a lot!
Keep going out...it really does get better!

Sandy
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2003, 08:57 AM
WC! Guide
Florida

Hails from United States
I agree with Sandy and Andy, they are very well done! Stop cutting your work down, you wouldn't say that to somebody else's stuff would you? Be nice to you! Have fun! Lorijo
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2003, 11:22 AM
A WC! Legend
Gainesville, Fl USA

Hails from United States
Bravo!!!!!

Love,
Linda
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2003, 11:40 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Canada

Hails from Canada
These are all good. But my favorite is the second; I love the earthy colour of the path and how it plays against the greens.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2003, 12:47 PM
Canada

Hails from Canada
Wow! Great, energetic Plein Airs. I was excited to see the soft pastel one, as I am hoping to give this medium a try outdoors, too. Does the pastel dust just get carried away by the wind?
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2003, 05:20 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States
No!!!! Wendy, OMG, with all your landscape painting and having that ideal setting to work from outdoors.....I am astonished that these are your first plein airs! Congratulations! I especially like the path with the flowers and trees alongside it.

Isn't it an amazing adventure to work outside from life?

Jamie
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2003, 06:46 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Pa.

Hails from United States
Very nice! Welcome to the "hook"!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2003, 08:56 PM
East Coast Canada

Hails from Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Kittengale
Wow! Great, energetic Plein Airs. I was excited to see the soft pastel one, as I am hoping to give this medium a try outdoors, too. Does the pastel dust just get carried away by the wind?

I spent only 20 minutes on it and was sitting half in the van so can't really say. I certainly plan to do more in soft pastel, although I'm allergic to dust and should wear a dust mask. That's one reason I've been exploring oil pastels, and although they have some limitations, I've been fairly pleased with them.

Thank you all for your encouraging comments! I'm going to be pestering you from now on with questions, and probably a whining session or two!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2003, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Ingleside, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Wendy, these are fabulous! I especially love the red path through the trees. Yes, it is astonishing that these are your first recent plein-air works; I wouldn't have thought you could do such good landscapes from photos without a lot of plein-air experience.

As you know from the sketches thread in the pastels forum, I've embarked on plein-air work myself during the last month or two, and I've been loving it but also struggling with it. Maybe, since you've been brave enough to post here, I'll put mine up too and get some feedback from the experts.

To Kittengale - I work outdoors with chalk pastels and the dust doesn't exactly drift away on the wind. You have to blow on it (no-no-no-no-no! or give your board a good tap. It does then disappear nicely into the weeds. Easier than at home, where it's only going to go somewhere you'll have to dust later. Make sure you bring moist towelletes to clean your hands and don't forget your face - like I did, walking back through town looking like a coal miner. (You may not have that problem, but I'm the world's messiest painter.)

My Website at Artspan.com