Home Forums The Town Center Café Guerbois Basquiat

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Dcam
        john

I think it’s pretty cool. Yes I do like it. For a better look ….http://wtop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Sotheby_Basquiat_93590.jpg…… the mouth alone works as an abstract.

snoball

No! I don’t like it. It’s horrid! I see no redeeming qualities whatsoever. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

If you're asking me for advice, I'm going to assume that you've run out of rational options.
                My work on Facebook

La_

*sits with team horrid*

110M, good lord, that too is horrid.

la

john

No! I don’t like it. It’s horrid! I see no redeeming qualities whatsoever. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

I totally understand this opinion. Frankly, I’m somehwat surprised that I like it. But I find interesting. There is a lot happening. It reminds me of a Kandinsky mated to a Picasso.

I never had any interest in Basquiat’s art, and still don’t. There’s just nothing of value there; I don’t see the work as horrid, but just rather banal. I think Robert Hughes’ Requiem for a Featherweight [New Republic] sums up his life, death, and art better than anything else I’ve read.

[added on edit] – re. the price paid, I figure people should feel free to throw their money at pretty much whatever they want. I’m much more interested in who the seller is, and what they are going to do with the $$$$. If s/he is reading this, and is looking for something to cover that new empty space in the wall, PM me :lol:

Cheers;
                        Chris

C&C of all sorts always welcome! (I don't mind rude or harsh criticism.)
                        I suppose I have to do this too :p (my blog, & current work). My Visual Arts Nova Scotia page.
                        Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known - Oscar Wilde

The primary palette: Attention, observation, memory, imagination, integration, execution

marksmomagain

ugly

members

The prices paid in the investment art world, and for that matter even WHAT is purchased, are like a parallel universe to the art world the rest of us live in. These buyers don’t seem to be buying art they love. They are buying what they think they can unload on someone else for more money, later. A lot of investment, (not just in art), seems reliant on the ‘greater fool theory.’ The only one who will be remembered as a fool for over paying is the last one stuck with it before the price falls. And no one wants to have that happen, at least not while they’re the owner of it. Most of us sell to average people who buy what they like, not what they think will go up in value. So this parallel universe art world doesn’t bother me as an artist, but it does bother me a little when I think about how foolish the investment world is. (Housing, dot com, etc, bubbles and busts, anyone?) At least the art investment world is not big enough to take out the economy, some comfort.

AllisonR

The prices paid in the investment art world, and for that matter even WHAT is purchased, are like a parallel universe to the art world the rest of us live in. These buyers don’t seem to be buying art they love. They are buying what they think they can unload on someone else for more money, later. A lot of investment, (not just in art), seems reliant on the ‘greater fool theory.’ The only one who will be remembered as a fool for over paying is the last one stuck with it before the price falls. And no one wants to have that happen, at least not while they’re the owner of it. Most of us sell to average people who buy what they like, not what they think will go up in value. So this parallel universe art world doesn’t bother me as an artist, but it does bother me a little when I think about how foolish the investment world is. (Housing, dot com, etc, bubbles and busts, anyone?) At least the art investment world is not big enough to take out the economy, some comfort.

Yes, this exactly. A different universe than the one I am in, so does not affect me, nor I it. As for the painting, I don’t love it or hate it, sort of neutral . it’s a basic loose abstraction, would fit well over the sofa if you have some bright primaries in the room.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
                                    ianuk

The stupidity of the human race has never surprised me.

WFMartin

Honestly, it is this type of art that convinced me to paint, initially, when it brought me to realize that nearly anything I painted would be at least as good as that.

Beginners need to pay special attention to this kind of total situation. Whenever one of my oil painting students would become discouraged, I always suggested that they observe the sort of stuff that is going for “art” in galleries, and museums, and then to realize that yes, they could do it, as well.

While this sort of art makes me laugh at it, I am at the same time greatly encouraged by it. Really!:lol:

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

stlukesguild

I was never a fan of Basquiat. I largely agreed with Robert Hughes’ less-than-glowing essay, Requiem for a Featherweight.

I like a lot of Modern and Contemporary art… and a lot of Expressionism… but Basquiat, like the majority of the artists of the so-called Neo-Expressionist movement (Schnable, Salle, Immendorf, etc…) strikes me as nothing more than a product of the declining standards of Art Schools Post-Ab-Ex, and a super-heated market seeking the next big art star… in this case, “The Great Black Hope.”

Saintlukesguild-http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/
                                                "Beauty is truth, truth beauty—that is all ye know on earth and all ye need to know." - John Keats
                                                "Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

Batman55

What if I told you that Basquiat was actually a good draftsman; he just chose not to use those skills in his chosen abstract style?

(I think you would have more respect for his work, if you knew that.)

Anyway, I like his work, it’s primitive in the best of ways.

Coastal

It’s too ugly to even use for kindling to start a fire.

MatildaArt!

For me the painting is neither here nor there. It’s just an indulgence that someone with that kind of money can afford. The same as any indulgence I might treat myself to on a smaller budget, a much smaller budget #lolololol!

C&C Always Helpful!
                                                            Onward and Upward!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 120 total)
                                                          • The topic ‘Basquiat’ is closed to new replies.