WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2017, 06:44 PM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada
Re: Favorite Artists... and then some.

Favourite Post-Romantic/Academic Artist-

I would pick Corot or Manet, although I don't think of either of them as "Academic" and Manet could sit with the Impressionists.

Favourite Impressionist-

Monet

Favorite Post-Impressionist-

Van Gogh; and Cézanne

Favourite Symbolist-

Klimt

Favourite Artist of Art Nouveau-

Antoni Gaudí

Favourite Artist of the School of Paris-

Matisse

Favourite Fauve-

At the moment, André Derain

Favourite Cubist/Futurist/Constructivist Artist?-

Picasso

Favourite Expressionist Artist-

August Macke

Favorite Surrealist/Magic Realist-

Dalí

Favourite Artistic Traditions (eras/styles/bodies of work) Outside of Western Art-

Africa:

North Africa: Egyptian (already covered)

Sub-Saharan Africa -- Benin Bronzes

Americas - Indigenous traditions (Pre-European Contact)

Muisca:

Americas - Indigenous traditions (Post-Contact):

Bill Reid, British Columbia, Canada

Asia

Middle East (Pre Islamic) -

This:

Islamic Art

This, from Moorish Spain:

Persian

This painting of a garden scene is one of my favourite Perisan pieces.

Chinese

Where does one even start? I appreciate Chinese Art, but don't yet have enough knowledge to really distinguish between artists.

Japan

Eitoku - Painting of a Cypress

Hiroshige may be the favourite for the moment:

Utamuro for Ukiyo-e

Favourite Artist from Your Nation -

Tom Thomson of the Group of Seven:

Favourite Local Artist-

Emily Carr:

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library

Last edited by ColinS : 05-21-2017 at 06:53 PM.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2017, 09:41 PM
A WC! Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Favorite Artists... and then some.

Favorite Mannerist Artist-

Beyond the Mannerist artists already named, Mannerism continued on into Northern Europe... and Spain:

Outside of Italy (and excluding Cranach), El Greco was arguably the greatest Mannerist IMO.

Yet there are a slew of fascinating Mannerists from the Netherlands (Holland and Belgium at the time):

Frans Floris' Fall of the Rebel Angels:

Cornelis van Haarlem's outrageous... and even comic... Fall of the Rebel Angels:

Lucas van Leyden's Adam & Eve. Van Leyden was arguably the finest printmaker between the time of Dürer and that of Rembrandt:

Hendrick Goltzius Adam & Eve and Danae...

... and the print of The Dragon Devouring the Followers of Cadmus:

Goltzius' work was laden with the dichotomy of Sex & Death... as well as violence... common themes of Mannerism. With the possible exception of Titian, I don't think any painter prior to Rubens was so enamored of human flesh as Goltzius.

In this fixation, Joachim Wtewael was not far behind. His painting of Perseus Rescuing Andromeda... which I had the chance to see in person a year or two ago... is especially sensuous.

#48   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2017, 11:49 PM
Sacramento, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlukesguild
I think you are grossly underestimating the destruction wrought by religious fanaticism of every ilk. Most of the art of the Northern Netherlands of the Renaissance (Holland) was lost to the iconoclasts during the Protestant Reformation and the wars with the Spanish seeking to outlaw all religion except Catholicism. A great majority of the early art of England was also lost to religious wars. The Catholic Church was as much responsible for the destruction of the art and architecture of ancient Rome as any Barbarians. The Muslims and Jews were not the only ones imposing laws against the "graven image". Many European nations underwent periods of iconoclastic destruction. Even at the height of the Renaissance, we had the "Bonfires of the Vanities" Savonarola to say nothing of the ongoing Inquisition. Wars were certainly destructive... perhaps the most destructive of all elements... but the reason behind a great many of the wars of the past was religion... and the intentional destruction of cultural artifacts was almost always the result of religion.

I agree that the lack of preservation played a role. Past cultures did not share our admiration for the artistic achievements of their predecessors. Gothic and Romanesque churches and cathedrals were let fall to ruin as they were seen as crude and Barbaric ("Goth-like") by future generations. A great deal of the Roman sculpture, painting, and architecture was lost following the Fall of Rome as the Barbarian and later Christians had little use for such. Buildings and libraries fell into ruin. We even see as much in our own time:

Even over the course of the last century, we've had the pillage of Asian, Indian, Islamic, African, and Meso-American art by "treasure hunters" and "collectors"... such as the Shah Nameh of Tabriz... perhaps the greatest work of book art of Islam, dismembered and sold off piece-meal by Arthur Houghton...

... or the recently discovered manuscript by William Blake that has faced a similar fate from greedy investors.

Fires certainly played a role... especially with the loss of churches and cathedrals and the art held within... books perhaps first and foremost but I doubt that fires, floods, volcanoes, and earthquakes combined come near the destruction of art brought about by religion.
I think you are overestimating the effects of iconoclasm and underestimating nature. If I had to guess about all the destroyed works of art over the years, I'd say religion was responsible for between 1-5% of it. You take the bonfire of the vanities with Savonarola for instance. We know a couple of Botticelli's paintings were burned, but we also know that like 300 of his works survive. According to historians a couple of thousand books, cosmetics, and paintings were burned. But look around Florence and millions remained. It was just a drop in the bucket. Hardly a serious purge. And that's how most of those things go. Localized, small. Rich people don't burn their stuff. They lock the good stuff up in their mansions until passions cool.

I can't speak to the Holland Protestant iconoclasm but it sounds like it was sporadic, regional, varied in intensity, effected a couple of hundred churches to varying degrees but was hardly an all consuming inferno. As for the Catholic church destroying some pagan works of art, of a surety they did. But we're missing 95% of what was there, 100% of what we do have was preserved by monks, and that doesn't explain why we are missing 95% of the Christian art of the time too. No, the culprit is mostly age, bugs, mold. For outdoor sculpture it's got to be rain and snow. It's not just enough to keep things cool under roofs and glass. You need to hire people to touch them up periodically.

And like I said before: fires. London has burned down about 17 times as far as I can tell taking most of it's houses and art with it. That will do more than any petty iconoclasm. That's the problem when your whole society is built out of wood and your only source of heat and light is made of fire. You look at the age of any structure in Europe and it tends to read "constructed in" "burned down in" "rebuilt in." You'll see the same cathedral or abbey burned down five times or got sacked by some invading army.

You take the eruption of Mt Vesuvius and how it just erased Herculaneum and Pompey entirely. Same thing when you look at Saint Marcellus' Flood, St Lucia's Flood, the Sicilian Earthquake of 1169, The Lisbon Earthquake, 1117 Verona Earthquake, The Tauredunum Event (landslide/tsunami), etc. Man is nasty but he's got nothing on mother nature.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2017, 02:21 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovid's Exile
You take the eruption of Mt Vesuvius and how it just erased Herculaneum and Pompey entirely.

In this particular case the volcano actually preserved art and architecture that otherwise would likely have been lost completely! Rather ironic, but of course, your main point that such disasters are mostly destroyers of art stands.

Nowadays, the main religious iconoclasts seem to be fundamentalist Muslims. We thought that Buddhist sculpture destroyed by the Taliban was bad, but apparently ISIS is much, much worse, and they are cutting a swathe through the cultural treasures in art and architecture throughout the region they control, burning everything from paintings to mosques.

Something to keep in mind is that while it is true that religions have destroyed art, they have also at times financed it: think for example of the Catholic church's patronage of some of the greatest treasures in both art and music. It's one of my frustrations with living in a mostly protestant country: their churches are so drab! :-)
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2017, 03:37 PM
Sacramento, CA

Hails from United States

Favorite Artistic Traditions (eras/styles/bodies of work) Outside of Western Art-

#51   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2017, 03:48 PM
Sacramento, CA

Hails from United States

#52   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2017, 07:29 PM
Sacramento, CA

Hails from United States

Favorite Artist from Your Nation-

Favorite Local Artist-