WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1276   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2019, 10:57 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Autumn in the Big Bend National Park

Congratulations on the 800 milestone! That is a lot of time on the water.

Sounds like you and your buddy have lots of outdoorsy stuff in common. He would have a great time at BB. Should bring his bicycle.
  #1277   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2019, 10:12 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn:

I did hit 800.6 miles.

My friend is interested in camping, biking and paddling his SUP. I am not going to camp as I need electricity and running water and a protective place to store art and art materials. I'm unsure how we'd be doing things together with our different goals. Would be better to recruit some artists who want to paint. I'm going to have a sit down with him and talk about this in detail. I've written some notes.

Thinking.

Comments? -Dave
  #1278   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2020, 06:45 PM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Even if you mostly went your separate ways, you could carpool down and have company on that long trip. Drop him off with his vehicle du jour, you go paint, pick him up later in the day. But I agree, even better to interest an artist friend.
  #1279   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2020, 10:22 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn:
He is focused on camping and mountain biking. I gave him a BBNP map today and he is to call his brother who as been to BBNP several times and compare ideas. I have recommended he review Youtube videos, get a passport and bring an inflatable SUP. He is doing a paddling race in Austin, TX this month and will ask locals there about BBNP.

As for me it's about time I started doing things like making lists of stuff and calling the motel in Study Butte.

I have several ideas of things to paint this time out.

comments? -Dave
  #1280   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2020, 07:35 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

Well... mumbling to myself about my friends BBNP biking ideas I realized that a used mountain bike might be the answer to the costly idea of having a jeep or 4 wheeler thing, (discussed previously). Craigslist has these as low as $50 and also much, much higher. Since a bike that is not for the serious and hanging a luggage rack on it's back side is affordable I must admit I'm thinking hard about this. If it could be shoved into my Honda CRV rather than demanding I buy a rack for the car... I just might try this.

Plein air bike ! Maybe I could somehow use it as an easel too... clamp on a pochard box or one of my Sun Eden tilting adaptors ? I know someone with a welding rig. Might be too unstable though... bike stands are not much good...

Comments? -Dave
  #1281   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2020, 03:33 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Sounds like a good low tech solution Dave.

Doug
  #1282   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2020, 11:57 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Wow, if you decide to do the mountain bike thing, you have my undying admiration!

Iím looking into alternate boarding arrangements for the dogs. Usually we leave them at the same place that they sometimes go for daycare, but Iíd like to try boarding them in someoneís home. We have a long trip coming up later this year, and the BB excursion would give us a chance to try a caretaker out before then.
  #1283   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2020, 09:30 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

Doug & Robyn:
Wife not happy with mountain bike idea; I will continue research. I have my motel in Study Butte reservation now.

Can't make suggestions on your dogs... we used to have neighbors who took ours in... and also had a lady who came to live in with them... but that was a few or more years ago.

Just finished my entries in Heartland 2020... three BBNP pieces. Let's see if their juror takes to them.

comments? -Dave
  #1284   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2020, 10:02 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

The appointed day draws nigh! Time to start thinking seriously about what I expect to accomplish this trip.

Got rejected by the second park residency I applied to. I have one more in mind to try. After that, Iíll keep my eyes open but will probably wait until the next round to try again.
  #1285   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2020, 12:34 AM
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn:
I'm suddenly having a health problem and may have to delay my BBNP trip for a couple of months, (!!!). Won't know for a few days but will let you know if I definately won't be there. See: PM message.

I'd have a look at Smugglers Canyon and also that old farm house on the K-Bar Road. There may be something visable now in the fire burn area that was hidden earlier. The morning light on the cliffs above Castelon is a great subject as well if you can get there at dawn. Have you seen the old Research Station house a mile beyond the Boquillas Crossing road?

-Dave
  #1286   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2020, 01:43 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Sorry you have a health problem Dave, I hope you can resume planning soon.

Doug
  #1287   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2020, 08:49 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn: Sorry your residencys have not worked out so far. I would observe that there seem to very liberal definitions as to what an artist is these days. If you can in any way entertain park visitors... that seems to be the object rather than someone creating art.

Doug: Nothing too, too serious but schedruling being away in February seems a bit too optimistic. I'll still go and paint at BBNP but just a bit later.

Comments? -Dave