WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2019, 10:57 PM
Enthusiast
New Mexico

Hails from United States
Easel hardware

I want to create a moveable shelf for my dulce easel. I
Have some plans I drew up but am thinking it might be easier if I could get get the hardware thatís used on the back of the existing little shelf/bottom canvas holder.
Iíve done many searches and canít find it, does anyone know where I could get it from? TIA
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2019, 01:48 AM
Enthusiast

Re: Easel hardware

not sure what you're referencing but Home Depot has this:

STUDIOBONGO
INSTAGRAM
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2019, 11:14 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

I am not picturing the end result, nor can I tell what those brackets do. Doesn't your easel already have a shelf on it? Where does the new shelf mount and in what way is it move-able? Is it a rest to lean a painting against at the top or a shelf for holding up a painting / laying stuff on?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2019, 12:48 AM
Enthusiast
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Here are some better pictures. The black knob somehow squeezes the metal bracket on the back side to tighten against the wood. That shelf is also the bottom canvas holder.
I rather like having a shelf to put supplies such as pastels or a palette.
If I keep the shelf attached to the existing bottom canvas holder then if I work on a small canvas the shelf would be too high and in my face. So, I would like to make a shelf to hold supplies that is separate from the bottom canvas holder. I would like the shelf to be able to move up and down depending on if Iím siting or standing.
I donít know why the pictures are sideways.
Attached Images

Last edited by cat1lady : 11-22-2019 at 12:51 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-23-2019, 02:14 AM
Enthusiast

I don't know if I can explain this good enough -- but I would use a piece of wood the width of the easel for a shelf. I would attach two "L" brackets under the self - one on each end so that they align with the uprights on the easel.

So you have a shelf the width of the easel with "L" brackets on each end.
Take two clamps and clamp the "L" brackets to the uprights of the easel.
You now have a shelf. If you need to raise or lower it, merely reclamp it at the desired height.

STUDIOBONGO
INSTAGRAM
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2019, 05:18 PM
Enthusiast
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Thanks, I might end of doing something like that.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2019, 09:37 AM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

How it works: (see photo of back of easel and drawn top view)

1. Bracket (1.) is permanently mounted parallel to the center post and guides the shelf keeping it relatively horizontal and as it moves up and down.
2. Bracket (2.), also permanently mounted, keeps piece (3.) parallel to the center post.
3. Piece (3.)ís sides are tapered so that tightening the screw with the black handle pulls the piece towards the handle compressing the center post against bracket (1.) causing all three metal pieces to effectively act as a friction brake. When the screw is loosened, piece (3.) is pushed away from the black handle so that the narrower portion exerts less force against the center post, allowing the shelf to move up and down again.

These donít appear to be a standard type of bracket available in retail stores, but the pieces could be removed from the easel and taken to a hardware or big box home improvement store to see if the clerks could identify them and, if they donít stock them, special order them or provide information on where to buy them.

Another possibility is to contact the manufacturer and ask if the set can be bought from them.