WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 12:01 PM

Hails from United States
Re: From Your Reference Library

Oops, sorry hit wrong button

Last edited by tj1358 : 05-02-2012 at 12:27 PM.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 04:33 AM
Veteran Member

TJ, thanks for all your advise.

I have a passion to learn, and one great way is to copy the steps of anothers methods, which is why I wanted to know your steps. I'm really going to take your advise and I've summarised what I've got from your advise for people here, because there is no doubt that what you've produced is outstanding, and in such a short time.

1. Do the Carder Method exactly as it is given. Do not change anything. Stick to it and redo it until you are faster and trained in it.
2. It helps to sculpt the subject using the paint. This will help you give it form and make you think how the light falls on each object.
3. Keep at it until you achieve your targets.

I will write these down above my easel to remind myself. In the mean time I'm going to put my current self portrait on the side and start on a still life using Mark Carder's method.
Sorry to hear about your conditions. As I said, you are an inspiration and this is even more true now you shared that. But I hear you, it's like Doc from Back to the Future said, "Marty, put your mind to it and you can accomplish anything".

Thanks once again
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2012, 10:57 PM

Hails from United States

Do yourself a favor and decide for example - 6 months of doing just the steps taught in the Carder method. Only concentrate on this and just really work on training your eyes to read color and it's value. It takes time. That's really what the method is about. It's a training tool. But whatever you paint, really really push the realism factor to the best of your ability. The more you look during this phase the more you get out of it and you will be amazed at the colors and shapes within those colors you've never seen before.

I know this goes against the famous 'squint' technique :-) but right now you are just learning to see and read what you see. The more you see, the more you learn at this juncture.

One thing that helped me was NOT to think in terms of wholes or objects but as lots of little abstracts. Don't think you are painting example an apple on a table but just lots of little abstract shapes.

It really does help in the process. And then once you get this down you can go on from there and believe me no matter what method or style you decide after this learning phase, you will be well equiped to tackle any style or approach.

Remember you were given this life and make the most out of everyday:-). You will do great.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 04:25 AM
Veteran Member

Point noted TJ, and thank you so much for this. Yesterday I finally decided to finish painting my painting room in a dark colour, so now I definately won't have any reflective light bouncing off the walls or ceilings. My still life studio box has been ready for months but I never could decide on what to paint! I think I'll just put a vase and a few plain objects and just get started.
Now's a good time to also invest in the Classeans Oil Primed Linen #13 to stretch my own canvas too so I have ample supply.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2012, 12:33 PM

Hails from United States

If you can afford the recommended canvas that is great! I couldn't at the time but did use oil primed linen. Just be sure during this time (which I didn't do) that you use the same type of canvas and ground? Each type of canvas and ground until you get use to using this approach is going to react differently and it can cause some frustration.

Just remember that what you are doing now is for training your eyes and hands to the best of your ability. You will be surprised at what you notice working this way. Little things in chroma and value and how it reacts with surrounding objects and lighting that latter on if you decide like me to go more impressionistic/looser? You will be aware of those little things that really can make difference and decide whether or not to include them.

The thing is you can read a zillion books on the subject but there is absolutely no replacing actually seeing it.

I'm rarely on forums anymore. I don't know why but my PM box here was unchecked for messages. I fixed that so please send me the link when you post something here? I'd love to follow your progress:-)

Don't let anything stop you from being the very best YOU can be! Give yourself the best shot.

Last edited by tj1358 : 05-04-2012 at 12:35 PM.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks TJ, I've messaged you.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

TJ,
Excellent job on the portrait

JonC.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 10:40 PM

Hails from United States

Thank you Jon for taking the time to look at comment. I really appreciate it:-)
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 04:55 AM
Oudenaarde

Hails from Belgium

Stunning portrait! And very inspirational too
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 10:39 AM

Hails from United States

Thank you so much Eveline. I appreciate you looking and commenting. You are very kind:-)
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 07:07 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

Quote:
I would like to give credit to the photographer but I can't find it now
if you have the original ref library photo and you downloaded without changing the name of it, go to the original photo, right click over the photo, go to properties at the bottom, copy the name assigned to the photo, go to the ref library and go to search, paste the photo name in the field for names and see if you get a hit.
nice work too.

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 05-11-2012 at 07:55 PM.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 09:03 PM

Hails from United States

Thank you so much for your explanation. I did save the file just as it was. What happened was half way through painting this my computer crashed and I lost everything! Since this post I have contacted Randysart but it doesn't look like this person is still on the forum. But thank you Randsyart wherever you are. It's a lovely photo and I'm not the only one who has used it:-)

There are some great photos at the library.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 04:21 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

glad you found the photo and poster, OMG did you see this one of the same little girl? one of the best ever.
that one is going in my cue, would have never seen if it not for you!
you did a great job on this one!
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2012, 10:26 AM

Hails from United States

This little girl is absolutely adorable! I hope when she grows up she sees all the great attention she has received here on the forum:-)

Please let me know when you do this painting. I'd love to see it!