Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing Is Plexiglass damaging the original artwork?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    cuttineagle

Hi, I was wondering, is framing under plexiglass for longer time gonna somehow damage the original artwork? Does it depend on the art medium? I have some pieces framed under plexiglass and don`t know if I can keep it that way or I should ASAP reframe it under glass. What do you think?

[FONT=Georgia]Do what you love to do........because that`s what you do best!

DaveMak

Whether you use plexiglass or glass as your glazing option you should always use either a mat or spacers to keep the surface of the art off the surface of the glazing. There must be an airspace between the art and the protective glazing. If there is not, then you could experience any number of problems including abrasion, condensation resulting in mold or actual physical attachment of the artwork to the glass or plexi.

Condensation is less of a problem with acrylic plexi than with glass. If the original artwork is pastel or charcoal then glass is preferable unless you use an antistatic acrylic plexi.

Actually, a good grade of acrylic plexiglass is usually superior to glass because there is less danger of physical trauma should the glass break. Plexi doesn’t shatter.

Whichever glazing you use be sure that it is optically coated to screen out the most harmful UV rays to help prevent fading and material degeneration.

maleaco

I thought plexiglass, being plastic, dosn’t protect against UV rays like glass does?

Correct me if Im wrong!

framan

I thought plexiglass, being plastic, dosn’t protect against UV rays like glass does?

Correct me if Im wrong!

Plexiglas is a name brand of acrylic glazing. Other manufacturers such as Tru Vue (the brand I use in my frame shop) make versions of acrylic with a UV protector imbedded in the acrylic and not as a coating like glass has to have. It is very difficult to glaze pastel or charcoal with acrylic because of the static. There are more expensive versions with less static and you must choose those when framing that type of art. Other than the UV issue though, Plexi will not harm your painting as long as it isn’t actually touching the art. If it is, then that is another story and I recommend taking it off right away.

mastermesh

Plexi is a BAD idea for putting on top of pastels due to the static build up. However, I have done it before… I love having plexi around in the studio for various reasons… nice for making ‘light tables’ of sorts… nice for keeping tables under the plexi clean. I like to switch out plexis… one for charcoal, one for pastel, one for acrylic, one for oil paint, etc. That way you don’t ‘contaminate’ one media with another… Plexi is also nice to use as a cutting board when making mats, etc.

cuttineagle

Thank you all for your responses. To explain better my situation. I always use mat when framing any piece, so the art is not touching the glass. I was just getting concerned about the pieces I have already framed in plexi (for show purposes) -> if I can let them be that way for quite a while (2yrs or so if needed)or I should rather reframe them under glass for long term storing.

And Thank you, I guess, I learnt something new again- I have never heard of “Antistatic plexiglass”! :0)
                            So anyway, I can store the ones I have under plexiglass long term and it won`t damage anything, correct? (acrylics and graphite)

DaveMak

Correct.

cuttineagle

Thank you very much.

Five

I have had a pastel painting that is matted and under plexi.
                                        It has been there for 30 years.
                                        No damage. No “crumbs. Nothing adhering to the plexi.
                                        And I did not use fixative on the painting.

cuttineagle

wow! cool!

DaveMak

A lot would have to do with what environment the pastel under plexi was kept and also the distance the artwork is from the plexi. In a very dry environment the plexi would cause much more of a problem than in a more humid environment.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.