Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air Help me choose an Alla Prima Pochade Box!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Whistlez

Greetings all,

Could you help me to choose my first Alla Prima Pochade box? :grouphug: I purchased the Bitterroot a couple weeks ago so I could secure my place in line, but I like both the Blackfoot AND the Bitterroot. Ben (he’s awesome) said I have a few weeks now to decide what I want.

I am torn between the Bitterroot and the Blackfoot. I am not new to art, but I am new to painting plein air, so I am not 100% sure what to look for in a pochade box. I paint daily at home on a table easel, but want to try getting outdoors.

I initially thought that something bigger would give me more space to work with (I’m 5’7) , but then I read that people usually have to complete their paintings in about an hour, due to the changing light, so this might mean working on a smaller scale canvas. I also noted that many people who buy bigger pochade boxes end up going back and snapping up something smaller also. Do people find that they use their smaller boxes more or is the Bitterroot the better investment?

It would be cool to bring my pochade box with me sometimes when I go on walks, to an art class, or to be a stand in easel for me when traveling or to use on my lunch break at work. As a newbie I am shy about being watched while I paint, so I’d prefer to work somewhat discreetly. Would the Bitterroot fit the bill or is it too big in person? I love the storage space it offers. Could I sit with it on my lap at the beach or will that feel too awkward? I plan to work on a tripod in less public places.

I will probably want to bring about 11 tubes of acrylic paint with me, several paint brushes, viewfinder, some small tubs of medium, brush cleaning jar, some paper towel and a small Sta-Wet palette.

Any suggestions? I am totally torn between these two awesome pochade boxes, so I’d like to hear from some other people with more plein air experience under their belts. Thanks guys.:)

Whistlez

Hmmm. Maybe the lack of responses is the universe telling me that this is not a bad problem to have and to suck it up and be more decisive!

Hey Meghan, if it were me I would choose the Bitterroot, it just seems more versatile and that seems to be reflected in the price as well. Just my opinion, I’m sure you would enjoy either. I bought a different brand of pochade altogether, but wished I had purchased the larger version rather than the smaller, because the limitations with panel size can be a bit of a constraint. There is no “perfect set up” however, and if you are like so many of us, you will probably try several setups in order to find which setup works for which circumstances. As to being shy about others looking, I was too, but people will come because it is such an unusual sight for most, you will grow more accustomed to that aspect as you paint en plein air I suspect. I took a peek at your link and your work looks quite good!
                Have fun,
                Laila

Profi9le

I have a Bitterroot Lite and love it.

Michael Chesley Johnson AIS MPAC PSA
                    www.MChesleyJohnson.com

Whistlez

Hey Laila!

Thank you so much for the feedback. The Bitterroot was what I was initially drawn to, but I started to second guess myself after reading about people recommending really small pochade boxes online. It helps hearing that you actually wished you’d purchased something larger. I feel better about my choice now! :)

Thanks for taking a peek at my work online too!

Whistlez

I have a Bitterroot Lite and love it.

Good to know that the size works for you! I think I am going to go with the Bitterroot too now. :)

Al Skaar

Hi Meghan – I’ve been using the Bitterroot Lite for over 4 years. I’ve flown with it to Mexico and Hawaii. I usually work on 9×12 or 12×16 panels when painting on location and the Bitterroot works great. At first the palette size felt a little cramped but I learned to work with it. I decided on the ‘Lite’ version because I carry my paint other tools separately and wasn’t sure the drawers on the full-size Bitterroot would accommodate everything anyway. Never have regretted my decision. Ben is a great craftsman and really nice guy. BTW – great work on your Facebook page. I couldn’t log onto your website. Some kind of server problem.

Whistlez

Hi Meghan – I’ve been using the Bitterroot Lite for over 4 years. I’ve flown with it to Mexico and Hawaii. I usually work on 9×12 or 12×16 panels when painting on location and the Bitterroot works great. At first the palette size felt a little cramped but I learned to work with it. I decided on the ‘Lite’ version because I carry my paint other tools separately and wasn’t sure the drawers on the full-size Bitterroot would accommodate everything anyway. Never have regretted my decision. Ben is a great craftsman and really nice guy. BTW – great work on your Facebook page. I couldn’t log onto your website. Some kind of server problem.

Thanks for taking a look at some of my work and for letting me know about the website problem. It’s working now. :)

The Bitterroot sounds like a very popular model. I need everything to have a home in order to stay organized, so I like the idea of the drawers. Now to try to find an appropriate tripod! :) I’m feeling better about my choice now.

Santiam

I can’t decide between the Bitterroot and the Bitterroot Lite. I like the idea of the Lite being 1 1/8″ slimmer and 1 1/2 lbs lighter, but I will most likely carry and extra box of supplies with me if I don’t have the drawers, and also, somebody in a similar thread mentioned that the lite version is a bit top heavy when using it as a lap easel.

MJFaxapw

The heavier the pochade, the heavier and more sturdy your tripod should be. I am an urban painter, so i do not need to walk far. I have the Bitterroot with a professional tripod. If you plan to hike a distance you may want the the Bitterroot lite and use a liter tripod.

Santiam

Thank you. I am so excited to have ordered a Bitterroot Lite from Ben. I asked for the 4 panel lid, which may be a bit top heavy, but I bet I will love it. :) I may decide to switch back to the 2 panel lid, but I like the idea of adding the sun clips and also the extension.

PCool

Ben makes beautiful pochade boxes. I bought the the Belly River. I tend to paint small when I travel. The less weight the better. It holds four panels. You will love your choice.

Peg

Santiam

Ben has begun working on my Standard Bitterroot! I know I am going to love it, and use it a lot. It weighs 6 lbs, but I think that will be okay. :) By the time it gets here, the weather will be pretty miserable and the days will be short, so I will just use it as a portable setup, going between my house and the gallery, until the weather improves.

PCool

Hi Santiam,

The turn around time was pretty quick. I received my pochade before Thanksgiving last year. Great communication, also.

Peg

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.