Home Forums Explore Subjects Art Journals Rob’s Sketches 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    robertsloan2

Time to make a new thread! I haven’t done a new piece yet, it’s bitter cold out so I’m slow starting. It was 10 degrees outside and finally warmed to 12 degrees, which is still “keep gloves on while warming hands at the stove after coming in” weather. But I will post here as soon as I have today’s daily art!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
        Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
        blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

otherworlder

Happy new year Rob! Looking forward to your sketches for the new year. I am back in Boston and regretting it, should have stayed away longer, similarly cold!

robertsloan2

Ouch, otherworlder! Good time for staying in and using references or painting plein window. It’s pretty if you have enough heat! We don’t have snow here, just cold.

Three Apples (WDE hosted by KreativeK source photo)
                3″ x 5″ on Pocket Moleskine Watercolor
                Watercolor and pastel pencils.

First artwork of 2018, another WDE image from KreativeK. I love how the twig worked out. Used pastel pencils over watercolor for some last details and to modify them.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com

Joan T

Robert, Happy New Year!!! This is really nice. Love how the red on the apple in front is continued in the second apple and the branch. Super job!

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
                    [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

robertsloan2

Purr thank you! Yeah, that was a little deliberate, though it was hinted at in the reference I accented it and went back and forth a bit. Moved the stem around a lot from where it was in the reference on those fruit.

Today’s art – pastel animal!

Doe in the Snow
                        6″ x 8″ photo reference by DAK743
                        Carb Othello pastel pencils on Strathmore toned gray mixed media paper.

robertsloan2

That was a big mistake. I posted the reference instead of my art. The weather was bitter cold and that throws me way off, leaves me heavy on chronic fatigue and I’ve got bad eyesight. Soo…

Here’s the actual ART…

Doe in the Snow
                            6″ x 8″ photo by DAK723
                            Pastel pencil on Strathmore Toned Gray heavy paper.

otherworlder

Haha I was wondering if you forgot to post the sketch, but it’s really nice to see the reference image and the sketch side by side. Lovely little painting, like how you simplified the background.

Joan T

The deer sketch is super…love the way you did the fur!

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
                                    [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

robertsloan2

Purr thank you! Today’s sketch is on the little brown pocket sketchbook again. It’s Japanese. It’s got a logo that says YooFun on the back with blocks of Japanese text, and good drawing paper.

Sissy Kitten and Petrified Wood – imagination and life.
                                        3″ x 5″ Yoofun sketchbook with fountain pen and Monteverde ink.

I might do some more art too. Yesterday I did the handout for my calligraphy class but didn’t post it, it’s just the alphabet and some instructions.

Clarky

:clap: Hi Robert, just wanted to mention your green apples – they are amazing and seem to be coming straight out of the page — love them. :wave:

robertsloan2

Purr thank you! I worked hard on those getting the apples wet and dropping color in repeatedly. It was tricky!

Today’s going to have more than one artwork, for sure. This is a start, drawn last night and posted this morning after I got a photo.

White Out – Bitter Weather
                                                photo reference by Triduana for 1-5-2018 Weekend Drawing Event
                                                3″ x 5″ Sepia Pigma Micron size 05 on YooFun pocket sketchbook.

robertsloan2

Three Kittens (from 1-5-2018 WDE host Triduana photo by Pencils To Go RIL)
                                                    3″ x 5″ Pigma Micron size 005, white gel pen and watercolor on pocket Moleskine Watercolor.

Feeling productive today. Besides, how could I resist underage felines? These three are up to something though. They’re cute… and playing up to that… but the one in the back is winking. Two seconds after the photo they probably destroyed the house.

robertsloan2

Got in another artwork tonight! I’d been looking at a reference for ages, no permission so I just took it for inspiration and drew much more from memory and design. Scribbled something down fast in these pencils and wow, once it washed in it was glorious.

Violas
                                                        3″ x 5″
                                                        Supracolor Soft watercolor pencils on pocket Moleskine Watercolor
                                                        Loosely inspired by a photo in a gardening book, not copied.

I love these pencils. The set of 30 now lives in a canvas Niji roll up with a white gel pen, a Pigma Micron and a water brush so I can use them anytime, carry them along when I go out. Horses and other nature sketches from life are going to go so fast with these!

I do need to review them, but I think by Wednesday I should have more examples of how they look in practice, washed or not!

Sonia

Great little kittens!

robertsloan2

Purr thank you! Here’s another one in Supracolor Soft, done on the spot!

Buck, a buckskin horse from life
                                                                3″ x 5″ Supracolor Soft and wash on Pocket Moleskine Watercolor journal.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.