Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Transferring my Drawings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    pa-paw

For transferring my drawings on to watercolor paper I’ve normally use the lightbox or some carbon paper (messy), but I don’t relish doing it. I prefer line work as I am more of an illustrator than a strict watercolorist. It would make me so very happy if my HP Laser printer could accept 140 lb. watercolor paper, so that I could simply print out my line work to be painted on. It refuses to pick-up that thick of a paper. So, I was wondering if anyone knew of a printer out there that would do the job. It would certainly cut down my prep time.:)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pa-paw/
        [FONT=Calibri]Photography and Art Work

Kaylen

Have you considered a projector?

Kaylen Savoie
            https://www.savoieartist.com/
            At least twice a year,paint something better than you ever painted before.

oldey

I agree that a projector is a super simple solution. They can be expensive. There are lots of mini projectors on Amazon that are cheaper but not sure about their reliability. I have this one that my grandkids use and I use it occasionally. It is super easy to set up and good quality but not cheap.
                When I use it I just want a simple outline of a subject to make sure the proportions are accurate. I don’t need to worry about the details or anything else just get the proportions in an outline. Yes I can do the same with a grid or with carbon paper but this is easier and cleaner if you want to make the investment.
                https://www.hobbylobby.com/search/?text=projector&quickview=80902066

oldey

That link if not taking you to the
                    Flare150 Art projector by Artograph

oldey

I do have an Epson 1400 printer which is older but it will accept 140 lb watercolor paper

pa-paw

I have never considered buying a projector for transfers as the few that I have knowledge of project on to a vertical surface such as a wall. A projector that projected down on to an art table surface might work. I am just looking for a way to cut down on my prep time. :)

Kaylen

https://www.cheapjoes.com/lg-cinebeam-led-digital-projectors.html I have one similar to this one. and I got one of those table stands, but I needed a photo tripod extender to get it large enough for full sheets, looking down, works good on a tripod aiming at wall, at any size,,,, I use it in a dark room with a flashlight in my hand to check the work

Kaylen Savoie

Kaylen

any projector can aim down with a little ingenuity,,, I had my old prism clamped with two ‘C’ clamps and hanging from hooks and cords, dad to wait till it stopped moving but it worked

Kaylen Savoie

My Canon printer accepts Bickingford inkjet paper.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

ArtL

I used to do exactly what you are looking to do with an Epson 1430 even though the specs said that it shouldn’t be able to. Some printers you can cheat with the specs, others you can’t. I’m now using a Canon Pro 10 that will easily accept 140# CP paper. It will accept paper from 4-23.6 mil. I print out scans of my watercolors on 140# cold press watercolor paper.

140# Arches cold press watercolor paper measures 20-21 mil (0.020″-0.021″). 140# hot press measures 15-16 mil, which should work in most printers. Check the specs on printers that you may be interested in.

Also, watercolor paper weight is different than the paper weights generally used in printers. Going by the gsm weights is a better comparison, but even that doesn’t give you the comparative thickness of different papers. For example, Arches CP and HP 140# papers are both 300gsm, but they are different thicknesses.

Art

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." ...Benjamin Franklin

pa-paw

Art’s Canon Pro 10 sounds interesting, but the price point of better than $500.00 makes it a bridge too in my mind. My personal preference would be a single toner cartage laser printer that will print out just the finished sketch (bare bones) on to 140 cold-press paper. Besides, I have had unwelcome experiences with the multi ink cartage photo printers. Low ink in just one of the cartages of a photo printer can result in a failed photo print. I’m coming around to accepting that my wish is only a pipe dream. There is not enough consumer demand for my printer, so it is not manufactured.:(

ArtL

I scored a deal on my Canon Pro 10. When I bought it last year, Canon had a deal on the price along with a $250 Master debit card rebate. Bottom line turned out to be about $230. Plus, if you bought package of 50 of their 13″x19″ paper for $50, they knocked another $50 off the price. Crazy, a $600 printer for $180. It has ten ink cartridges in it, and the color is superb. Every time you print, you can see the cartridge levels and if they get too low, a warning will come up either before the printing starts, or after a print is done. I’ve never had a print get messed up because an ink cartridge ran too low.

Besides Canon, Epson has some fine printers, plus they also have refurbished equipment. My original Epson 1430 was a refurb which I had no trouble with, and I also have a refurbed Epson V700 scanner that I’ve been using for 5 years. Typically, refurbs run about 30-50% off with the same warranty as new. I only have experience with Epson refurbs, but it appears that Canon also has refurbished equipment.

Art

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." ...Benjamin Franklin

pa-paw

Art, I have a “master” that I only use sparingly, so I’m not sure of the points that have been acquired. I must admit your price point on the Canon is to my liking. However, another issue for my purposes would be the ink bleed associated with Ink Jet printers. Some inks will bleed through water base color, I am told. A new printer is on my wish list, so patience is the watch-word.:)

ppeace

I have a bottom of the line Canon inkjet that does it. It prints on 140 lb easily.

Nice to that a laser printer might not. I’ll keep that in mind when I upgrade.

oldey

I put my projectors on a tripod but to experiment i took some 1/2” pipe from the shop and made an arm to hold a projector pointing down. The piece on the end you would attach the projector to is from a camera copy stand. I just slid the pipe thru the bars on the shelving to support it. You can find copy stand adaptors on Amazon. I am sure there are other more brilliant ways but this was just an example of what you can do with stuff you might have around:)

I know my printer ink runs when it gets wet. Seems like cost for a printer or a projector is similar. Maybe choose what you would get the most use from.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.