Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink Calligraphy What kind of calligraphy ink is kid safe?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Hop-frog

I have to help setup a booth for teaching Chinese brush calligraphy at an elementary school. The booth will use natural bamboo brushes. The inks I have are not going to work though, as I think they can’t wash out of clothes. Is there any easy-to-find alternative to India ink that I can get at Hobby Lobby or Dick Blick that will give the students the same experience as India ink without the chance of them ruining their clothes?

Blick’s or Hobby Lobby or Michaels should have an alternate. I don’t know if they would still be washable on lighter colored clothing simply because they’re so dark. You could always get bibs for them, old shirts or even lobster bibs or such.

As a mother, I always found it helpful when the school warned the parents, and asked them to send the kids in clothes that can be stained or get painty.

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
        Find me on Instagram
        Find me on Facebook

Mike L

Have you considered any of the acrylic or tempera paints sold specifically for use in the classroom? If necessary, thinning with water should bring any of them to a good consistency for brush calligraphy, and if the paint is already considered child safe, a bit of thinning should make it even safer – yes? :lol:

Practice religion freely and freedom religiously.

Zelda Ella

I use Easyou redstar liquid for my kids.  This is also my favorite. It’s a bit thicker than others I’ve tried. It dries quickly and you can even able to make the finest painting.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.